Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #81
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You look at most naval vessels and the furnishing is almost an afterthought.

I think federal prisoners would be writing their congressmen if they were forced to eat in a Naval vessel mess.

I actually didn't think about the spiral staircase, it seems so out of place, I have to wonder if there's an inside joke that I'm not getting.

It would be awesome to see one of the cruisers and its like the Enterprise D TNG with luxurious cabins and soft carpeted bridges and something like the 10 Forward hotel bar on the enterprise and have the crew of the Orville in shock when they see it.

Then have them go onboard of a small exploration vessel and have it be incredibly crappy with turned over cargo crates as chairs and tables made up of empty cases of beer.
I've been thinking the same thing. I kind of wonder if its a slight dig at the fact that the Enterprise's Turbolift could seemingly get you anywhere but on the crappy ol' Orville you have to take the stairs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. I kind of wonder if its a slight dig at the fact that the Enterprise's Turbolift could seemingly get you anywhere but on the crappy ol' Orville you have to take the stairs.
I guess Orville could have gone the other way with the joke with their own version of the Turbo lift linking every room and massive waits for it to get to you.

I always thought that the whole Turbo lift concept was a bit stupid there was basically one link to the bridge on every enterprise. That's an incredible safety issue. I think there was at least one episode where the turbo lifts failed on the Enterprise and they had to climb the walls.

There's a reason why there aren't personal elevators on naval vessels.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It is the future and one where earth is mostly at peace and have dedicated themselves to the betterment of the human race and prioritized peaceful space exploration.They have the ability to create any environment imaginable in the holodeck (or whatever TNG ripoff name the Orville uses).

I see no reason why the ship shouldn't be relatively comfortable. It is a travel ship, not a warship.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Except that there isn't really peace or solid peace and the Ships of the Federation are armed ships that are expected to take part in Combat

1) Enterprise - Wars all over the place

1) TOS - Cold War with the Klingons, Cold War with the Romulons including several battles. Cold War with the Tholians including several battles. Coming off of a war with the Cardassians

2) TNG - War with the Borg, War with the Klingons, War with the Romulons.

3) Voyager - Well that was one big war, but war with Speices 857298573 whatever, War with the Kaizon, War with the Borg

4) DS9 - War with the Dominion, War with the Klingons.

I mean frankly I always thought that this whole Star Fleet is a peace armada was a nice recruiting bit but was never really true, the Federation was constantly in a state of war, and when they weren't they were basically threatening non aligned aliens.

GR had this nice little allegory of wagon train to the Stars, but lets be honest, that would have made for horrible TV so it was really the adventures of a ship in a space navy with heavy weapons slugging it out with aliens.

I always thought that the whole super comfortable hotel bar like love boat setting of the federation could have been a good idea story line wise, the Federation was like the Roman Empire at its end, opulent, contented, life style oriented, and then the Barbarians came out of the east, hungry, aggressive, coveting what the Romans had and they swept in and toppled the Empire.

I always thought that a Star Trek series could be done about 100 years after the end of DS9. The Federation contented, the ships even more luxury, supremely arrogant, we've conquered and bought our way tot he galaxy mind set. And then the Klingons re-appear, after the events of Ds9, they retreated in on themselves fought a series of brutal civil wars that destroyed the weaker more liberal elements that were rising in the Empire, they were more genetically pure and warrior focused Klingons. They sweep out of the Neutral zone with true warships heavily armed and advanced and sweep aside the flying hotels of Star Fleet, who protest "But we're just exploring". They conquer and enslave humanity and blast earth to a wasteland. And out of that rises a insurrectionist group of humans that have to learn to fight war all over again.

I call it Star Trek F you you dirty klingons.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #85
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I always thought that a Star Trek series could be done about 100 years after the end of DS9. The Federation contented, the ships even more luxury, supremely arrogant, we've conquered and bought our way tot he galaxy mind set. And then the Klingons re-appear, after the events of Ds9, they retreated in on themselves fought a series of brutal civil wars that destroyed the weaker more liberal elements that were rising in the Empire, they were more genetically pure and warrior focused Klingons. They sweep out of the Neutral zone with true warships heavily armed and advanced and sweep aside the flying hotels of Star Fleet, who protest "But we're just exploring". They conquer and enslave humanity and blast earth to a wasteland. And out of that rises a insurrectionist group of humans that have to learn to fight war all over again.

I call it Star Trek F you you dirty klingons.
You spelled Battlestar Galactica wrong.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great really strong episode, they dialed back some of the more blatant attempts at jokes instead of some more subtle humor.

The acting I thought was extremely strong and it was a really great little story that goes back to the Original Star Trek Series.

I'm really liking this show a lot now.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and a great cameo

Spoiler!

Old 09-29-2017, 01:27 AM   #88
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It is the future and one where earth is mostly at peace and have dedicated themselves to the betterment of the human race and prioritized peaceful space exploration.They have the ability to create any environment imaginable in the holodeck (or whatever TNG ripoff name the Orville uses).

I see no reason why the ship shouldn't be relatively comfortable. It is a travel ship, not a warship.
And it's the Federation flagship.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:46 AM   #89
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That episode was just fantastic, a real throwback like Cap said to the old ST series, I am loving what I have seen so far.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #90
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm enjoying the show but is it me or are there twice as many commercials? It really seemed to break up the show.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #91
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am loving this show. It's such a throwback to old TV

Though if you opened up the sunroof to a culture that hadn't had night in 2000 years they wouldn't have outdoor lighting and there would have been Vancouver style rioting and panic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #92
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"Scale model of your penis"
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They did some really nice emotional connections that were aided by really good acting.

Spoiler!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #94
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Rumours are floating around the interwebs that Patrick Stewart will be in an upcoming episode.

Give him an awkward bumbling character, the opposite of Picard, he would be hilarious. Bumbling but dangerous, kind of like Mudd. Make it so!

I have episode 4 recorded on the pvr and will watch it this weekend.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #95
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was just about to speculate that with some of McFarlane's buddies on the show that Stewart would be a logical choice.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #96
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Rumours are floating around the interwebs that Patrick Stewart will be in an upcoming episode.

Give him an awkward bumbling character, the opposite of Picard, he would be hilarious. Bumbling but dangerous, kind of like Mudd. Make it so!

I have episode 4 recorded on the pvr and will watch it this weekend.
I'd love to see him as a commander on a small exploration ship.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #97
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched the first 3 episodes and I am really enjoying this show.Just enough of a Star Trek touch to remind me of TNG and DS9, enough silliness though to keep things entertaining. I love the Happy Arbor Day line, I find Seth always seems to have the same sense of humor as me. I immediately remembered Arbor day being a big deal when I was in elementary school after not even thinking about Arbor day for decades.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You got wood

Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #99
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Angriest Angel!

Havent seen him in forever!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #100
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really diggin' this show. I agree that it feels more like Star Trek than the new Discovery series does (at least so far). The characters are all pretty solid, and the humor is funny, well-placed, and doesn't distract at all from the story. It's definitely a bit of a throwback to an older era of TV. I really don't understand the hate from the critics, as I find it to be quite enjoyable.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote