Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #2741
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am semi-serious of thinking of going to Chicago next September to see the Laver cup live (and maybe add in a Cubs game at Wrigley...)
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #2742
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the tennis news sites I frequent seemed to have minimal Laver Cup coverage. I didn't think the ATP ignoring the event would have had such a chilling effect on all the big news sources.

personally I loved the hell out of this weekend, and not just because the team I was cheering for won. the list of things I never thought I'd see is big. just a few:

- star players rooting so hard for their lifelong rivals that they looked the same way I do when I'm jumping off my couch or burying my head in my hands as a regular fan

- Roger and Rafa almost killing each other with overhead smashes on the same side of the court. also Rafa leaping into Roger's arms, too excited to worry about his teammate's wonky back (...or was he...??)

- legitimately cheering for Rafa, vamos-ing along with him whenever he won a big point. I had once thought that would be as likely as me cheering a McDavid goal

- actually feeling a little bad for a teary eyed Kyrgios after he let the final point slip away

- watching insanely rich athletes ramp up the intensity and eventually go all-out for an exhibition event with minimal prize money

the only thing that sucks is that Laver Cups will probably not measure up. but then again, imagine having Felix and Denis leading Team World to a day 3 victory in a doubles tiebreaker. I am also semi-seriously considering being there for the Chicago edition.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #2743
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You guys better save up. Tickets prices in Prague for the main bowl were $1600-$2100 US for the three days.

United Center will be bigger but you don't want to be sitting up in the nosebleeds.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #2744
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You guys better save up. Tickets prices in Prague for the main bowl were $1600-$2100 US for the three days.
If it is $2100 US in the Czech Republic, then it will probably be jacked up even more when it is in the US to the tune of $3K+. I guess I will watch from home then.....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #2745
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm seriously considering a trip down to Indian Wells for the BNP Paribas Open next March. The neat thing is that the Flames play the Vegas Golden Knights on March 18th which is the final Sunday of the Indian Wells tourney. Catch some tennis and then a Flames game in Vegas? Sounds like a pretty good trip to me.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #2746
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
If it is $2100 US in the Czech Republic, then it will probably be jacked up even more when it is in the US to the tune of $3K+. I guess I will watch from home then.....
Bleeder seats were $250 for the weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #2747
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Bleeder seats were $250 for the weekend.

Bleeder seats in tennis is like watching a blue ant and a red ant play pong.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #2748
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the tennis news sites I frequent seemed to have minimal Laver Cup coverage. I didn't think the ATP ignoring the event would have had such a chilling effect on all the big news sources.

personally I loved the hell out of this weekend, and not just because the team I was cheering for won. the list of things I never thought I'd see is big. just a few:

- star players rooting so hard for their lifelong rivals that they looked the same way I do when I'm jumping off my couch or burying my head in my hands as a regular fan

- Roger and Rafa almost killing each other with overhead smashes on the same side of the court. also Rafa leaping into Roger's arms, too excited to worry about his teammate's wonky back (...or was he...??)

- legitimately cheering for Rafa, vamos-ing along with him whenever he won a big point. I had once thought that would be as likely as me cheering a McDavid goal

- actually feeling a little bad for a teary eyed Kyrgios after he let the final point slip away

- watching insanely rich athletes ramp up the intensity and eventually go all-out for an exhibition event with minimal prize money

the only thing that sucks is that Laver Cups will probably not measure up. but then again, imagine having Felix and Denis leading Team World to a day 3 victory in a doubles tiebreaker. I am also semi-seriously considering being there for the Chicago edition.
Watching Nadal and Fed play together was like when Hulk Hogan and The Macho Man Randy Savage teamed up to form the Mega Powers. No one could stop them
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #2749
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bleeder seats in tennis is like watching a blue ant and a red ant play pong.
Don't disagree. I don't know how the US Open sells out the top of Ashe. That would be a terrible view.

Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #2750
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Watching Nadal and Fed play together was like when Hulk Hogan and The Macho Man Randy Savage teamed up to form the Mega Powers. No one could stop them
two other weird things they did:

- Rafa coaching Roger, telling him to up the aggression on the forehand against Kyrgios. this was the best collabo ever, but it makes you wonder how much they wanted to help each other out while being a bit careful not to expose too much of their own strategies that will eventually be used against each other later. which leads to...

- Roger admitting that he was studying Rafa and trying to get a closer look at his tendencies. normally they never practice together or attend each other's matches, in fact when they were forced to warm up next to each other at Indian Wells this year it was somewhat awkward.

all in all it was just a nice break from the stress of watching them be rivals, and getting the chance to be a fan of the other side, if only for a moment. and I did enjoy Team World's over the top cellies, as that's another thing not frequently seen on the regular circuit.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #2751
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
two other weird things they did:

- Rafa coaching Roger, telling him to up the aggression on the forehand against Kyrgios. this was the best collabo ever, but it makes you wonder how much they wanted to help each other out while being a bit careful not to expose too much of their own strategies that will eventually be used against each other later. which leads to...

- Roger admitting that he was studying Rafa and trying to get a closer look at his tendencies. normally they never practice together or attend each other's matches, in fact when they were forced to warm up next to each other at Indian Wells this year it was somewhat awkward.

all in all it was just a nice break from the stress of watching them be rivals, and getting the chance to be a fan of the other side, if only for a moment. and I did enjoy Team World's over the top cellies, as that's another thing not frequently seen on the regular circuit.
You can tell both rivals respect the hell out of each other, it's too bad their fans don't follow their example. While they do respect each other, there is a reason why they are considered 1 & 2 in the GOAT debate they are so competitive they hate losing and especially to each other. 2017 was such a fun year to see them sweep the majors I hope 2018 they both are healthy and play well.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #2752
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone heard any updates on the Raonic injury recovery progress or lack thereof? Originally they had said it as going to be a matter of a few weeks as opposed to months but since then it has been radio silence.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #2753
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Has anyone heard any updates on the Raonic injury recovery progress or lack thereof? Originally they had said it as going to be a matter of a few weeks as opposed to months but since then it has been radio silence.
He's on the entry list for the Shanghai Masters

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #2754
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos, Denis, and Vasek are also scheduled to play the week prior in Tokyo (October 2nd) at the Rakuten Open (ATP 500 event).
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #2755
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Awesome - hopefully this is not a late withdrawal situation like we have seen before and he is actually ready to go. Would be fantastic to see 3 top 100 Canadians in action at a 500 event!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #2756
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Vasek needs to get his game in gear. He lost to Baghdatis this morning.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #2757
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Felix lost to a qualifier! 62 62! Gasp!

Wonder what happened

Tiburon Challenger:

http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2017/1768/mds.pdf

Schnur and Dancevic are still alive. Dancevic has a free path to the semis if he can take advantage

Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #2758
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Felix lost to a qualifier! 62 62! Gasp!

Wonder what happened
I caught a glimpse of the match stats - 9 aces for Felix, but also the same number of double faults. Just one of those days I guess (and a reminder that he is 17 years old).
Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #2759
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

And last week Samuel Monette won the Futures events in Niagara. Jumps 200 spots in the rankings to 525ish.

http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2017/6612/mds.pdf

He won the singles AND the doubles!

Old 09-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #2760
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dancevic has a free path to the semis if he can take advantage
Frank is into the quarter-finals and might end up playing the qualifier who dispatched Felix.