Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #6401
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Did anyone think it was really weird that Chiarelli referred to McDavid as "Mr. McDavid" in his press conference today?

also

Darren Dreger‏ @DarrenDreger
Jesse Puljujarvi a healthy scratch for Finland...again.
Oilers fans on the HF forums keep saying to look at Draisatl as an example of why you need to be patient. The difference is that Draisatl's biggest problem was by far his skating, and he improved on it to get to NHL level. Poolparty's problems seem to be more of the Yakupov mindset, and more of an IQ problem. His AHL numbers were pretty underwhelming.

He could actually become more of a bust than Yakupov, still very early, but the early signs are not good. There would be no way he would be selected 3rd overall with his current season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #6402
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to remember some of the assets some posters here wanted to give up in order to move up just three spots from #6 to #3 in order to get Pool-Party, totally blew my mind. The guy has tools and no tool box, and his draft year numbers didn't fly off the charts to me either.

IIRC I think some folks wanted to trade Backlund + 6th overall for 3rd overall?

*shudder*
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #6403
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Oilers fans on the HF forums keep saying to look at Draisatl as an example of why you need to be patient. The difference is that Draisatl's biggest problem was by far his skating, and he improved on it to get to NHL level. Poolparty's problems seem to be more of the Yakupov mindset, and more of an IQ problem. His AHL numbers were pretty underwhelming.

He could actually become more of a bust than Yakupov, still very early, but the early signs are not good. There would be no way he would be selected 3rd overall with his current season.
Just slightly under William Nylander's stats for his 18 year old season in the AHL. I wouldn't call that terribly underwhelming for an 18 year old in the AHL.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #6404
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

It really is something just how much Oiler fans over rated these guys. Last year many scoffed at the idea of RNH for Seth Jones. Today, Nashville wouldn't even give you Ekholm for either of these guys let alone a Jones caliber asset. I think the Oilers get to hold these grenades until they explode.
Nah. We have seen worse players on bad contracts get traded than Eberle and RNH. I feel they will have plenty of takers for either player. They aren't going to hit home runs on the return but they could get quality young prospects or draft picks from other teams. There are always teams looking for centers that have skill and RNH looked great at the World Cup of Hockey playing with talented line mates. Eberle is more of a one-trick pony but he's only got two years left on that deal and a team in bad need of a skilled winger may be desperate enough to make a move for him
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #6405
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sekera is out 6-9 months with torn ACL injury. Puts him back into the Oilers line up around December at the earliest.
They probably can't afford to get a top 4 with a top 4 contract or any kind of term.

Soooooooo . . . . Griffin Reinhart come on down

Ummm Griffin?

Ummm Grif where are you boy?

Damn here he comes now, dat boy is slow

Screw it Fayne come on down!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #6406
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Rejected Alberta license plates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #6407
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what it may do is force them to play Fayne. I don't think they can afford to bury Fayne, eating 2.6 and then pick up 3 Dmen.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #6408
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Considering that McDavid basically got Chiarelli the job… no.

After all, it wasn't until the McDavid lottery that the Oilers finally got serious and promoted the previous regime, opening the way for Chiarelli to be hired.
Fixed for accuracy.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #6409
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This was the same take Finnish journalists had last fall during the World Cup.

Really, why would a Finnish GM pass on him unless he felt the flaws in his game meant there were better options at that pick?
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #6410
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Puljujarvi was a much more distant third for me over the first two options at the draft, but I think he will (unfortunately) end up being a good player. This is his first year in the AHL as an 18 year old. Given that, I don't think it was that much of a disappointment. If he is still in the AHL all of next season and doesn't look to be developing, then it is time the questions start being raised. Still too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah. We have seen worse players on bad contracts get traded than Eberle and RNH. I feel they will have plenty of takers for either player. They aren't going to hit home runs on the return but they could get quality young prospects or draft picks from other teams. There are always teams looking for centers that have skill and RNH looked great at the World Cup of Hockey playing with talented line mates. Eberle is more of a one-trick pony but he's only got two years left on that deal and a team in bad need of a skilled winger may be desperate enough to make a move for him
While I do agree that there would be lots of takers still for either RNH (especially) or Eberle, but that list dramatically closes considering the point of any trade is free up cap room. How many teams are willing to take either player on without sending significant cap in return? I would argue that based on both being somewhat of a reclamation project of sorts (overpaid), the Oilers will be hard-pressed to find takers. A team has to be very offensively challenged to try and go that route. Maybe Vegas?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #6411
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

While I do agree that there would be lots of takers still for either RNH (especially) or Eberle, but that list dramatically closes considering the point of any trade is free up cap room. How many teams are willing to take either player on without sending significant cap in return? I would argue that based on both being somewhat of a reclamation project of sorts (overpaid), the Oilers will be hard-pressed to find takers. A team has to be very offensively challenged to try and go that route. Maybe Vegas?
Last I heard in the rumor mill is that the Blues may have interest in Eberle. I'm sure salary would have to come back the Oilers way for that to work but it just goes to show that there will always be takers for guys that are 20 goal, 50 point players and for a lot of teams that feel they need to improve their offense the two years left on his deal isn't that bad of a risk. Heck I would take him on the Flames if the Oilers would take Brouwer in return (they won't of course).
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #6412
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

St. Louis has to be smarter than that don't they? Well, maybe not. Pair him with Yakupov. Recreate that magic.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #6413
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
St. Louis has to be smarter than that don't they? Well, maybe not. Pair him with Yakupov. Recreate that magic.
Might as well go full Oiler and pair them with Perron!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #6414
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Paajarvi still a Blue too?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #6415
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is Paajarvi still a Blue too?
He is, yes.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #6416
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Last I heard in the rumor mill is that the Blues may have interest in Eberle. I'm sure salary would have to come back the Oilers way for that to work but it just goes to show that there will always be takers for guys that are 20 goal, 50 point players and for a lot of teams that feel they need to improve their offense the two years left on his deal isn't that bad of a risk. Heck I would take him on the Flames if the Oilers would take Brouwer in return (they won't of course).
Sure, St Louis may be interested, but at what price?

Like you said: for Brouwer? okay.

Maybe the Blues are thinking similarly. After Yakupov and Paajarvi, you would think the Blues would be somewhat reticent of Oiler cast-offs.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #6417
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Blues don't have a bad contract with the exception of Stastny. Hard to see the Oilers taking on a worse contract in exchange for Eberle.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #6418
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If Eberle was a 3 million dollar player there would be interest in him, so I can see a move where they get decent assets back if they're willing to make him into a 3 million dollar guy either in terms of eating salary or taking back a contract.

RNH has more value but he's certainly not a 6 million dollar valuation (Shoutout Dragon's Lair).

The problem is that the Oilers are going to need to recover as much cap as they can over the next could of years for Drai and McDavid and possibly having to now sign Russell and other raises or find another top 4 defenseman.

In other words, hey Pickle have you met Edmonton?

At the same time this is an unusual year with the Expansion team. Vegas has to be at least thinking of a player like Draisaitl as a key building block and big skilled center that's already well down his development path. Do they make a move for him? I would think that an offer sheet is in the discussions right now and Vegas might be willing to give up draft picks to get him knowing that they can probably recover draft picks fairly easily.

The toughest things for teams to find are top defensemen and number one centers, and in effect with his RFA status, Vegas has to be thinking big move to please their new fanbase.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #6419
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If Eberle was a 3 million dollar player there would be interest in him, so I can see a move where they get decent assets back if they're willing to make him into a 3 million dollar guy either in terms of eating salary or taking back a contract.

RNH has more value but he's certainly not a 6 million dollar valuation (Shoutout Dragon's Lair).

The problem is that the Oilers are going to need to recover as much cap as they can over the next could of years for Drai and McDavid and possibly having to now sign Russell and other raises or find another top 4 defenseman.

In other words, hey Pickle have you met Edmonton?

At the same time this is an unusual year with the Expansion team. Vegas has to be at least thinking of a player like Draisaitl as a key building block and big skilled center that's already well down his development path. Do they make a move for him? I would think that an offer sheet is in the discussions right now and Vegas might be willing to give up draft picks to get him knowing that they can probably recover draft picks fairly easily.

The toughest things for teams to find are top defensemen and number one centers, and in effect with his RFA status, Vegas has to be thinking big move to please their new fanbase.
I honestly don't see Vegas making an offer on draisaitl. They would give up multiple firsts that would have serious lottery potential. Don't think they could realistically say that he would be someone who got them in contention right away. Mcdavid on the other hand has massive Vegas offer sheet potential.

Honestly, a team that makes sense for offer sheeting him (and there's a few) would be Calgary. They could do 7x9, give up 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. They could then flip Monahan and recover all of that essentially.

Would need Brouwer to be gone though.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #6420
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ that would be 4 firsts in compensation.
Closed Thread