Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #6281
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's one of the things that make Oilers fans so annoying, and why so many call them smug and arrogant.

Anywhere else, and any other fanbase, and people say "hey we're improving, we're heading in the right direction!" As Burke describes it "you have to walk before you can run".

But in Edmonton? Start to improve and everyone is instantly "the dynasty is back!" "McDavid and Draisaitl are Gretzky and Messier!" "It's not if, but how many!" "Look at Pitt and Chicago!" (um, you're not Pitt or Chicago, you clowns)

And yes, every fanbase has a few overzealous fans, but in Edmonton it is an epidemic. And the big difference, the thing that changes everything, is that is isn't just the fans...

In Edmonton, even the media and the organization have the same entitled, "we're destined to win cups!" arrogance. It permeates everything they do. Win a game and - clearly - the cups will start to roll in again!

The arrogance and entitlement are astounding. I mean they are truly astounding to witness.

The idea that an organization could have just climbed out of what was possibly the single worst, most inept decade any professional team has ever stumbled through, and then, after one single playoff appearance, start boastfully thumping their chests about the inevitability of winning cups, is so off the charts ridiculous, that it leaves one speechless.

The only reaction to that kind of blind, arrogant, insecure, lack of self awareness, is pure hate and loathing. Hoping they crumble. Violently.

OK, I need a coffee.
The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
#22, -TC-, 3thirty, AC, Allos, Anduril, Ashasx, Azhouse, BeltlineFan, Bonecrushing Hits, Boreal, Burninator, BurningYears, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Cecil Terwilliger, CGY12, ClubFlames, CrazyCaper, CroFlames, Cycling76er, dash_pinched, Demaeon, direwolf, djsFlames, Erick Estrada, FacePaint, FFFLife, FlamesAddiction, flames_fan_down_under, FlatLandFlamesFan, Funkhouser, GoJetsGo, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, Groot, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hockey_Ninja, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, indes, Jay Random, jayswin, Jbo, jg13, Jiggy_12, jschick88, KipperRules, kkaleR, Lanny'sDaMan, LChoy, Mass_nerder, Mazrim, mikephoen, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, Mony, OBCT, OldDutch, Passe La Puck, Pellanor, Rejean31, Roof-Daddy, Rubber Ducky, Sgrath, shadowlord, shogged, Simon96Taco, StAlbertFlame, Steve Bozek, Stochansky, Stupid, Tailgator, taxbuster, Textcritic, the2bears, TheScorpion, theslymonkey, TomLeeMC, TopChed, topfiverecords, trublmaker, WinColumn, Yrebmi, Zulu29, zuluking
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #6282
FudsMcDuff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That was so satisfying to read - thanks ER!

Last edited by FudsMcDuff; 05-13-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #6283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/863117261556432896
The replies are great. Feel free to chime in.
I dont think Kassian and Maroon really want the League to 'take their team seriously.'

Otherwise those 10-ply schedules and dubious penalty shots likely dont go their way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #6284
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Most fans I have talked to seem to be happy with what the Oilers have accomplished.
I have heard quite a few say the team played above expectations, and are excited to see what the next few seasons bring.
And that's after I chirped them about the loss in game 7.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #6285
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But in Edmonton? Start to improve and everyone is instantly "the dynasty is back!" "McDavid and Draisaitl are Gretzky and Messier!" "It's not if, but how many!" "Look at Pitt and Chicago!" (um, you're not Pitt or Chicago, you clowns)
Au contraire, mon frere! Didn't you hear? They're actually...

Quote:
McDavid had Draisaitl on his right side for months but deep in the playoffs against the Ducks, Draisaitl moved back to his natural centre spot giving Anaheim much more to chew on, like Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in Pittsburgh.

Source:http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...s-an-education
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #6286
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Most fans I have talked to seem to be happy with what the Oilers have accomplished.
I have heard quite a few say the team played above expectations, and are excited to see what the next few seasons bring.
And that's after I chirped them about the loss in game 7.
You are so full of ####.
The Following User Says Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #6287
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's one of the things that make Oilers fans so annoying, and why so many call them smug and arrogant.

Anywhere else, and any other fanbase, and people say "hey we're improving, we're heading in the right direction!" As Burke describes it "you have to walk before you can run".

And yes, every fanbase has a few overzealous fans, but in Edmonton it is an epidemic. And the big difference, the thing that changes everything, is that is isn't just the fans...

In Edmonton, even the media and the organization have the same entitled, "we're destined to win cups!" arrogance. It permeates everything they do. Win a game and - clearly - the cups will start to roll in again!

The arrogance and entitlement are astounding. I mean they are truly astounding to witness.

The idea that an organization could have just climbed out of what was possibly the single worst, most inept decade any professional team has ever stumbled through, and then, after one single playoff appearance, start boastfully thumping their chests about the inevitability of winning cups, is so off the charts ridiculous, that it leaves one speechless.

The only reaction to that kind of blind, arrogant, insecure, lack of self awareness, is pure hate and loathing. Hoping they crumble. Violently.

OK, I need a coffee.
I agree.

But the sad thing is, I actually do think McDavid will be good enough in a couple of seasons to be the type of player that can guide a team to the Stanley Cup on his shoulders. Whether it will happen is anyone's guess, but the hockey gods never cease to kick us in the nuts and enable that arrogant fan base.

Not being from Calgary and living in what was basically an NHL no-man's land, it is the reason why I gravitated towards the Flames back in the 1980s. Thirty years later and after 11 years of the Oilers losing, you would think that they would become humbled a little, but nope.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #6288
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree.

But the sad thing is, I actually do think McDavid will be good enough in a couple of seasons to be the type of player that can guide a team to the Stanley Cup on his shoulders. Whether it will happen is anyone's guess, but the hockey gods never cease to kick us in the nuts and enable that arrogant fan base.

Not being from Calgary and living in what was basically an NHL no-man's land, it is the reason why I gravitated towards the Flames back in the 1980s. Thirty years later and after 11 years of the Oilers losing, you would think that they would become humbled a little, but nope.
I would argue that if your first was true Crosby would have a cup ring on every finger on both hands.

Having a generational player and a good player isn't enough anymore, we saw what the Ducks did to McDavid, they put his hip into the outside lane and took away the neutral zone, and while Draisaitl was very good (8 million dollars good) its not enough.

Its tough to win the Stanley Cup now because you literally need every player from 2nd line to 4th line to blue line to contribute and play their roles slightly above their heads.

We had what I would consider to be a real close to generational player in Iggy for how many years and the biggest problem was finding the supporting cast.

The problem with Edmonton is two fold

1) Their supporting cast didn't support their three really good players in the playoffs and in the end only two of those three, Talbot and Draisaitl had an impact. The argument at the start of the season where the Oilers didn't have good depth came to fruition in the second round, when the Ducks took away one of the three and 7 game series wise matchup wise, this series would have been a blow out if not for Talbot
2) The cap situation is going to further erode the Oilers depth and they don't have a lot of cheap good prospects right now that can fill in and contribute. That's going to take saavy drafting and trades of players like RNH and Eberle to fix, and frankly outside of Chia's trade for Talbot, his moves have been really suspect as have his contract signings.

Oh and there's a third fold

3) The Oilers were very shark like, they played well in the regular season where teams are more generic in their game planning, but after they played a battered Sharks team that is in dire need of a youth movement, they played a team that had that extra gear in the playoffs and the Oilers were really fortunate that the series got as far as it did.

I expect that the Oilers will lose a chunk of depth this year. Eberle and Russell for example will probably be gone and RNH will probably be moved if they can do it properly. I also expect that the transition from hunter to hunted is going to be difficult for the Oilers.

Its too soon to be making predictions, but I expect that the Oilers will be fairly dormant in free agent signings because of the McDavid contract. But I also expect that a loss of depth is going to occur, and the Oilers will have a Flames playoff effect where everything won't go as perfectly and they'll slide down to bubble team territory.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #6289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree.

This used to be true but isn't necessarily so anymore, due to the salary cap (the great equalizer).

Back in the day, when you got a generational player, you had a huge advantage - you just had to build around him and you automatically had the best team. And other players wanted to come and play there.

Now, you are limited by the cap. More money on this player means less money for that player. So instead of an accumulation of talent (like the old days), now it is an optimization exercise. Teams must find pieces that fit together. And must get as many value pieces as possible.

McDavid is an awesome player. But it is not a foregone conclusion that he will lead them to anything. You have to be able to draft and develop players so that you always have people contributing that are on cheap contracts.

The Oilers have not shown an ability to that in any way shape or form. The only thing they have going for them is a pile of high draft picks due to a decade of inconcieveable ineptitude.

Going forward, they are going to have to develop players without the benefit of drafting top 3. We shall see if they can do that. But one thing is for sure, McDavid can't do it himself.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #6290
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive incapacity, on the part of those with low ability, to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their competence accurately."
Old 05-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #6291
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

My overall impression of the Ducks-Oilers series, of which I watched most, but not all (missed Game 6 entirely), was that Anaheim played abysmal hockey most of the time. Their passes were not good, their PK inept, their PP almost as bad, and yet their stars (ick) - Getzlaf and Kesler - did just enough to drive them to the win.

Had Talbot not stood on his head most of the time, I suspect that they Ducks, as bad as they were (and they weren't good in the Calgary series either, just better than us), would have despatched them rather more quickly than they did.

The Oilers were good at times, as were the Flames. But they were inconsistent and spent too much energy in their good games, and not enough in their bad ones.

I don't see a great future for them unless they add a LOT more measured defense, and far better 6-9 forwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #6292
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Edmonton looked pretty good. They have a great young goalie locked up, and while could use more offensive depth, Draisaitl was looking great in the playoffs. With McDavid as well, they are going to be good up front for a long time, with D being their area strongly needing improvement.

Based on what I've seen in the playoffs this year, I suspect that the Oilers and the Flames are going to engage in some pretty epic battles for Pacific supremacy for the next little while, and both teams will firmly surpass the California based teams starting next year.

Both teams have different strengths and weaknesses, different things to address as they move forward and they certainly arrived at this spot in very different ways (feel we can be much more proud of the way our team was built), but I think there is going to be little to nothing to choose between the two AB squads for a few seasons now. It's going to be the 80's all over again, minus the lock on the two AB teams easily being the best in the NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #6293
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Ya know those Gaskal out of town reports that we all love so much? This thread is becoming a 24/7 version of that for Oilers fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Does that make you sad?
It makes me sad. This thread used to be full of hilarity at the Oilers expense, and now, it's largely a congregation of seemingly insecure Flames fans whining about the Oilers success.

Thread needs more of this:

Quote:
*clears throat*

(in his best Steve Armitage voice) "WOMEN EATING BOOGERS!"

Less of this:

Quote:
Wow three straight PPs in the second half of this third period to help take the lead. These guys really don't have to face much adversity do they? Get served up man advantages on a platter at key times.
Quote:
The oilers success has not been from good hires by the owner or good management or good coaching. The falling of a few lottery balls is all they have to show for 10 years of crap.
Quote:
*directed at Oilers fan* Why are you still here?
Quote:
*directed at Oilers fan* You're still here? Still?? This is pretty sad.
Quote:
How is AlbertaOiler72 still allowed to post?

This thread used to be a must-read for Flames fans, but it's turned into a must-read for Oilers fans seeking schadenfreude. The CP collective needs to sack up and stop making this thread so rewarding for Oilers fans.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #6294
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
This thread used to be a must-read for Flames fans, but it's turned into a must-read for Oilers fans seeking schadenfreude. The CP collective needs to sack up and stop making this thread so rewarding for Oilers fans.
Meh. Everyone will make something different of it.

They had a run (still, though, E=NG and they proved it over and over again). Some people are happy cheering for a team that's not theirs.

I'm not. And it still pissed me off to have to hope (but not cheer) for the Ducks; I'm happier now.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #6295
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This used to be true but isn't necessarily so anymore, due to the salary cap (the great equalizer).

Back in the day, when you got a generational player, you had a huge advantage - you just had to build around him and you automatically had the best team. And other players wanted to come and play there.

Now, you are limited by the cap. More money on this player means less money for that player. So instead of an accumulation of talent (like the old days), now it is an optimization exercise. Teams must find pieces that fit together. And must get as many value pieces as possible.

McDavid is an awesome player. But it is not a foregone conclusion that he will lead them to anything. You have to be able to draft and develop players so that you always have people contributing that are on cheap contracts.
This is all very true. We are only starting to really and truly see the dawning of the salary cap era. The cap circumvention contracts are either becoming burdensome with players struggling to play to even the value of the deal (Hossa, Luongo) or extinct.

Crosby is on a value deal & the Leafs are paying a portion of Kessel's contract. Even with the both of those, they were still dependent on their drafting & development to push them over the top to the Cup last season. This season, Crosby's contract has really showed its value compared to Toews, Kane, Kopitar.

Eberle & RNH are both not $6 million dollar players. Hall is, & they spent that chip. If they want to get rid of either one, or both, they will either swallow hard on salary retention, buyouts, or a significant draft pick. Either way, there is no get out of jail free card.

As Enoch Root pointed out, perennial contenders requires elite talent, value contracts, & shrewd player/salary management. You make a couple of mistakes... you will pay.

If you have this conversation with the average Oiler fan, hopefully it is a 3rd grader, because then their ignorance would be understandable. If not, they will most likely reach into their bag of logical fallacies and irrelevantly tell you to look at the Brouwer contract, forgetting that we're not talking about the Flames cap management.

There are a few Oil fans that have a clue (no not pathetic hack AlbertaOiler). A few that have learned from their faulty reasoning in the past and a few are even knowledgeable.

But...

You never hear from those people because they know all of this is looming... along with that bottle of Buyout 120 Proof Lucic.

Great job making the playoffs & winning a round. Penny wise this year... pound foolish looming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #6296
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But in Edmonton? Start to improve and everyone is instantly "the dynasty is back!" "McDavid and Draisaitl are Gretzky and Messier!" "It's not if, but how many!" "Look at Pitt and Chicago!" (um, you're not Pitt or Chicago, you clowns).

...The arrogance and entitlement are astounding. I mean they are truly astounding to witness.
Yep. And people can say "well they have McDavid, how could you not be excited?", but the way they're reacting to this 2016-17 team is basically exactly what they were perennially off-season boasting about with the 2010-13 versions after all those 1st overall picks. Just with Hall playing the McDavid role, RNH or Eberle as Draisaitl, etc. They're always this confident and arrogant that they're dynasty bound, regardless of the roster. The 80s destroyed that fanbase's grasp on reality.

Oilers fans don't even realise how much they sound like Leafs or Cowboys fans. So obnoxious, so much unearned smug.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #6297
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oilers fans are actually a lot like Americans.

They've been raised to believe they're the best country/team in the world, and the absolute lowest opinion that they'll ever have of themselves is that they are simply in a small rut and only seasons/years away from returning to greatness.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #6298
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
You are so full of ####.
Really? How am I so full of ####?
I am just saying what I, me, you know....the guy living around the greaser fans, am hearing.
And really, how the hell would you know what the greaser fans are saying? You are half way around the world fishing with Kipper.
Some people....sheesh.

Last edited by wired; 05-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #6299
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Hm. I guess Connor and co. should be wearing "Make Edmonton Great Again!" hats when not in uniform. Have they drained the swamp yet? Naw, they'll be swimming in it so long as the same guys are running the place. The ones claiming to know about winning, while running one of the most inept stretches of a sports team in history (sounds pretty Trumpian). How can you build a winning team when you can't even admit when your team is/has been poor? How can you gauge the teams' needs and weaknesses, in order to improve it? Intellectual honesty completely eludes these people, and while "we have McDavid" is evidently what they will continue to go back to each off season, McDavid alone will not lead to a championship team. They'll just be continually expecting things to get better regardless of results, like they have since drafting Hall. And how has that fared?

Try being good first. You're hardly even there yet, to already be looking beyond to 'greatness'....Spector.

Such a little twit minion of the franchise.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #6300
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oilers fans are actually a lot like Americans.

They've been raised to believe they're the best country/team in the world, and the absolute lowest opinion that they'll ever have of themselves is that they are simply in a small rut and only seasons/years away from returning to greatness.
I usually compared them to Christians (but with that stereotypical American arrogance, agreed). They had their saviour in the 80s, and ever since then they've just fully believed he and it will return. Not a Cup, but a full-fledged dynasty again. So any time there's any hint of positivity shining through, they're all "it's back! The dynasty is coming back!! 5 more Cups!!"

Sadly the McDavid fluke has only legitimized this belief for them too. It's going to be a very annoying next few years for sure listening to that
Closed Thread