Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #3561
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
You realize the show is broadly about climate change right?
You realize I'm just killing time until you decide to "Tinordi" up another thread right?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #3562
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Tinordi, do you even watch and understand the show?

The entire point of the meeting for Dany/Jon and company was........... To get assistance in killing/fighting the WWers.

I am sure roasting Cersei, Jamie and company would of helped that cause tremendously.
But wouldn't killing Cercei have worked more to those ends? She takes the iron throne, absorbs the armies of the crown, consolidates her power and fights a one-front war. She already has dominion over the Lannister stronghold. Without a leader, Cersei's forces won't mount much of a resistance.

And, she also achieves her over arching objective to overthrow the queen without spilling the blood of innocents. She would have accomplished everything by simply and easily killing Cersei.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #3563
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dang, I don't know why they haven't called up Tinordi to help produce for season 8 yet. He's the only hope to salvage some sort of satisfying conclusion at this point.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #3564
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
But wouldn't killing Cercei have worked more to those ends? She takes the iron throne, absorbs the armies of the crown, consolidates her power and fights a one-front war. She already has dominion over the Lannister stronghold. Without a leader, Cersei's forces won't mount much of a resistance.

And, she also achieves her over arching objective to overthrow the queen without spilling the blood of innocents. She would have accomplished everything by simply and easily killing Cersei.
No, no it would not of worked more to those ends.
To do that, and then take over King's Landing, and then convince the Lannister faithful to join her and not rebel, and then march up North to fight the "Real War" would take far too much time.

At this point the WWers would have taken over half of Westeros.

Unless of course, you are now OK with time travel and letting the WWers walk in circles for a year.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #3565
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Seems dumb on Cercei's part to just walk into a death tap like that. What assurances did she have that Dany's dragons would just kill everyone? That would have been the highly rational thing to do.

Locke: Dany will only take the iron throne so long as she doesn't have to kill her enemies? What does killing Cersei have to do with being "more of the same" your point is ridiculous.
Just like in real life, if word got out that leaders were being executed during a formal negotiation, there would be repercussions. The show goes to great lengths to establish that Westeros is fractured and controlling Westeros requires courting several powerful houses to act as bannermen. If you just execute your opponents during a diplomatic negotiation, you aren't going to get very far (see the Mad King).
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #3566
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Just like in real life, if word got out that leaders were being executed during a formal negotiation, there would be repercussions. The show goes to great lengths to establish that Westeros is fractured and controlling Westeros requires courting several powerful houses to act as bannermen. If you just execute your opponents during a diplomatic negotiation, you aren't going to get very far (see the Mad King).
I'm skeptical. If Dany assassinates Cersei and Euron, who's left to oppose her?

She's already decapitated the most quarrelsome house Tarly. All the major houses left are essentially her allies or have more to gain seeing Cersei gone than opposing the Targaryen throne.

And the other houses have done, far far worse without any repercussions. Did the Freys suffer any loss of power after the red wedding? Did the Lannisters after three separate rulers who blew up a sacred cathedral lose a grip on their power?

Normally I'd agree with you but your point is simply not consistent with how power works in the story.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #3567
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I'm skeptical. If Dany assassinates Cersei and Euron, who's left to oppose her?

She's already decapitated the most quarrelsome house Tarly. All the major houses left are essentially her allies or have more to gain seeing Cersei gone than opposing the Targaryen throne.

And the other houses have done, far far worse without any repercussions. Did the Freys suffer any loss of power after the red wedding? Did the Lannisters after three separate rulers who blew up a sacred cathedral lose a grip on their power?

Normally I'd agree with you but your point is simply not consistent with how power works in the story.

Firstly, I've already explained that GoT, like in real life, has general rules of diplomacy and combat.

Secondly, the bannermen are sworn to protect the house they have allegiance to. That means if you execute the head of that house, then the bannermen have to rebel. Additionally, you have to deal with potential rebellions from the citizens themselves. This would be particularly troublesome for house like the Ironborn. If Dany just executed Euron, the Ironborn would be very unlikely to simply just join up with Dany.

House Tarly are not actually bannermen to the Lannisters, hence the scene about them swearing allegiance to the Lannisters. The Lannisters do have many houses that are bannermen to them, although they don't get much screen time as there would be no point.

Yes there were repercussions from the Red Wedding...Hence the mantra "the North Remembers". The north was fractured due to the red wedding, and many former supporters of Winterfell turned on the Ramsays and Freys. The Ramsays and Freys no longer exist, and their lack of global support in the North was a major factor in this. The Freys prior to their own execution faced rebellions from several houses, including the Tullys who took Riverun from them. The Freys relied heavily on Lannister support to stay afloat.

Yes, just killing Cersei is an option. It was one that they actually explored in the show, and Tyrion went to great lengths to explain why it was a bad option.

As other posters have stated, Dany doesn't have time to suppress rebellions and gather forces. The WW are here now.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #3568
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap, did Tinordi get chased out of those other threads?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #3569
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never expected to be putting a poster on my 'ignore' list for their part in discussion about a TV show, but here we are. A first for everything.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #3570
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I never expected to be putting a poster on my 'ignore' list for their part in discussion about a TV show, but here we are. A first for everything.
The one positive about season 8 being so far away is the potential that he leaves the CP community or gets banned in that time.

This thread has been such a drain this season and would be great to be an enjoyable enhancement of the viewing experience again before the final season airs.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #3571
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #3572
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol ####, this subreddit is pretty good

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #3573
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Wrong hand...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #3574
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #3575
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty well done trailer!
I've never thought of a modern day approach to GOT; maybe not a bad idea.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #3576
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the truth comes out
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #3577
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rose Leslie and Kit Harington to marry officially after months of speculation. They better not invite George RR Martin if they know what's good for them.

Quote:
Game of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie have got engaged, it has been confirmed.

After a huge amount of speculation, an official announcement has been published in the Times newspaper.

The couple met on the fantasy show in 2012, where they played on-screen lovers Jon Snow and Ygritte.

Leslie left the cast two years later while Harington has become one of the show's biggest stars - appearing in all seven series of the popular TV drama.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41403658
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #3578
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Rose Leslie and Kit Harington to marry officially after months of speculation. They better not invite George RR Martin if they know what's good for them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41403658

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #3579
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the last season, and came to this thread to see if the one thing that bothered me the most had been discussed. I couldn't see it, but at times it seems the thread... got weird.

Anyway, this is the first season that didn't have a pretty immersive guideline to work with, in the books. I couldn't help but notice that there was a sense of scope that was missing.

In the previous seasons, when someone got into a jam, it was clear that they were pretty much on their own. The fastest way to travel is by horse or ship, and ravens were the fastest form of communication. This took forever.

But in this season, Jon's group is surrounded in the North, so Gendry runs to the wall, sends a raven, and Denarys flies up to save them, all in the course of one day. What happened to the vastness of this world?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #3580
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I just watched the last season, and came to this thread to see if the one thing that bothered me the most had been discussed. I couldn't see it, but at times it seems the thread... got weird.

Anyway, this is the first season that didn't have a pretty immersive guideline to work with, in the books. I couldn't help but notice that there was a sense of scope that was missing.

In the previous seasons, when someone got into a jam, it was clear that they were pretty much on their own. The fastest way to travel is by horse or ship, and ravens were the fastest form of communication. This took forever.

But in this season, Jon's group is surrounded in the North, so Gendry runs to the wall, sends a raven, and Denarys flies up to save them, all in the course of one day. What happened to the vastness of this world?
Lol.. We've discussed this at length. The writers have dispensed with geography and logic in order to make cool scenes.