Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #2621
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked at numbers. Forbes numbers are in USD, I believe. Canadian dollar dropped like a stone over last 3-4 years before the recent recovery. It's PRIMARY an exchange rate story, not a "Calgary's a small market" story.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #2622
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't the Flames get over $16 million USD from Vegas expansion at the end of last season?!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #2623
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Looked at numbers. Forbes numbers are in USD, I believe. Canadian dollar dropped like a stone over last 3-4 years before the recent recovery. It's PRIMARY an exchange rate story, not a "Calgary's a small market" story.
The anomaly is a strong Canadian dollar.
The average exchange rate since 1990 is 80.9 cents. 9 years in the last 27 the average yearly exchange rate was over 80 cents.
The story is probably more accurately labeled as 'Calgary's a small Canadian market'.

http://www.canadianforex.ca/forex-to...-average-rates
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #2624
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Edmonton and Winnipeg are small market teams too. All Canadian teams have been dealing with exchange rates for a while.Federal and provincial tax rates are also a factor.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #2625
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Didn't the Flames get over $16 million USD from Vegas expansion at the end of last season?!
This doesn't count as revenue as the owners don't have to share the expansion fee with the players. Besides, I don't think you can expect an expansion every year.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #2626
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't find anything on Google. What is the Ken King/Filipino lunch lady story?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #2627
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
... what? Bill Smith makes no sense. What is he saying? That Nenshi lied to the public? that the municipal negotiators lied to Council?

Anyways I think I now see what's up with the Flames going loco... Bill Smith told them that he's going to push for their $1,300,000,000.00 monstrosity if he becomes mayor (possibly in exchange for support/money). So why not meddle in the municipal election see if you can get the whole enchilada.
It sounds like that is exactly what he is trying to say without saying it. It sounds like a bit of a deflection on the back on Nenshi's comments that the Flames may have presented a different proposal to the public than they did to the city.

Hopefully Bunk can chime in and tell us exactly how many hands this would have to pass through for the mayor to make public. I have little doubt that if Nenshi decided to lie about the city's position, the amount of people that would know the truth is very high and they could contradict him. Yet, the only implication we are hearing from is someone who hasn't even been remotely connected to these negotiations (aside from what King/Edwards have decided to feed him).
Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #2628
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Correct me if I’m wrong (I honestly haven’t been paying close attention), but if what Smith says is true, for what reason wouldn’t Chabot have mentioned it himself, being a member of council and Nenshi’s biggest rival for mayor. He would know Nenshi lied (if it were true) and would seemingly help his campaign to point that out.

Bill Smith reeks of a bought and paid for corporate shill running a lame campaign for mayor, so my belief in him is essentially zero, but it’s even harder to believe that none of those opposed close to Nenshi and council who want Nenshi gone would’nt have mentioned it first.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #2629
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone who's ever done business with CNRL shouldn't be surprised about the tactics and position of the Flames - really it's pretty much classic Murray Edwards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #2630
SweepToTheCup
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Anyone who's ever done business with CNRL shouldn't be surprised about the tactics and position of the Flames - really it's pretty much classic Murray Edwards.
....but Brett Wilson (his old partner at First Energy) also thinks the city is being unfriendly to businesses...even though he isn't interested in getting into politics. The papers seemed to eat that one up.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #2631
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bill Smith stuff is funny as I was thinking about it on my way in to work today.

His slogan is: "Time for a Change."

Thats not a Policy thats just stating that he isnt Nenshi and that type of negative voting just for anyone who isnt the incumbent is pretty much exactly what landed us Trudeau, Notley and Trump.

So far negative voting of this nature has not gone outstandingly well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #2632
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bill Smith is the the most 'establishment' name in political history.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #2633
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Fake Alberta Conservatism 101: an election is not the place to share ideas. We'll share our secret solution for everything AFTER you elect us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Bill Smith stuff is funny as I was thinking about it on my way in to work today.

His slogan is: "Time for a Change."

Thats not a Policy thats just stating that he isnt Nenshi and that type of negative voting just for anyone who isnt the incumbent is pretty much exactly what landed us Trudeau, Notley and Trump.

So far negative voting of this nature has not gone outstandingly well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #2634
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to the Stamps-Lions game a couple weeks back, and was surprised to see "Bill Smith for Mayor" flash a few times on the digital screens along the west sidelines. Well, not surprised per se, but it seemed overly brazen to me.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #2635
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I were him I would've gone with William Smith (or Will), at least it would only be half vanilla.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #2636
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I went to the Stamps-Lions game a couple weeks back, and was surprised to see "Bill Smith for Mayor" flash a few times on the digital screens along the west sidelines. Well, not surprised per se, but it seemed overly brazen to me.
I wonder if that has been properly recorded as an In-Kind campaign contribution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #2637
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Billiam
Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #2638
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm amazed at the amount of people I meet, however few,that believe the flames may actually move.

Last edited by Backlunds_socks; 09-26-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #2639
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I'm amazing at the amount of people I meet, however few,that believe the flames may actually move.
the bigger the lie, the more they believe.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #2640
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Bill Smith is the the most 'establishment' name in political history.
Well, Nelson Rockefeller comes to mind.
Closed Thread