Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #6281
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I always like a little snark, can't say I ever really cared about decorum in general. Cable news says nothing of value in a nice way, at least those two talk about substantive issues.
They have a habit of presenting their topics with a distinct "see, we told you" or "we knew this a lonnnnng time ago, but we are just telling you peons again how right we were and we can't believe you would have ever thought otherwise" kind of attitude.

This is just the way it comes off to me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #6282
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
They have a habit of presenting their topics with a distinct "see, we told you" or "we knew this a lonnnnng time ago, but we are just telling you peons again how right we were and we can't believe you would have ever thought otherwise" kind of attitude.

This is just the way it comes off to me.
I see most of that as rubbing the rest of the media's nose in their canned talking points. I don't think it's directed at the viewer, but the groupthink that happens in cable news media.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #6283
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I see most of that as rubbing the rest of the media's nose in their canned talking points. I don't think it's directed at the viewer, but the groupthink that happens in cable news media.
Maybe Wastedyouth is Wolf Blitzer?
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #6284
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't understand how you guys like her so much. Even when she is saying things I agree with, I can't take the snarky/sarcastic/patronizing tone.
The Hill in general is patronizing and obnoxious in a lot of their content. Not surprising based on their history and ownership.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #6285
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Hill in general is patronizing and obnoxious in a lot of their content. Not surprising based on their history and ownership.
Oh? How so? This seems to show it as fairly balanced, but I don't know a lot of the background.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-hill/
Old 10-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #6286
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Oh? How so? This seems to show it as fairly balanced, but I don't know a lot of the background.

You can be patronizing and obnoxious while still being unbiased. They're not really related. One is a delivery and the other is a leaning.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #6287
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed their commentary a lot more during the primaries. They've become tougher to watch once primaries ended.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #6288
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post

The Hill was founded by former New York Law Journal publisher Jerry Finkelstein. It was a fairly reputable publication in DC circles until Finklestein's passing in 2010 or 2011 IIRC. He willed the publication to his kid "Jimmy" and the pub went a different direction. Jimmy Finklestein is a bit of political hack and has gone full Roger Ailes on multiple occasions, instructing his journalists how to cover stories and the spin they would put on them. He's gone full tabloid at other times, cutting his journalists right out of the loop and publishing content not suitable for the bottom of a birdcage including an expose on how the Democrats colluded with the Ukrainians to interfere in the 2016 election rather than Russians. This was content was provided by Rudy Guliani to John Solomon. The Hill is really a bit of a #### show and it has ben rumored to be on the market for the past couple of years. No one appears willing to touch it as its reputation has turned tabloid to toxic in DC circles.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #6289
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In fairness it’s way worse in Canada. The CBC has less integrity then any of the above. Outside of Evan Soloman and a couple of the writers from the National Post I can’t think of a single reporter that is ever critical of the government.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-13-2020 at 03:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #6290
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
In fairness it’s way worse in Canada. The CBC has less integrity then any of the above. Outside of Evan Soloman and a couple of the writers from the National Post I can’t think of a single reporter that is ever critical of the government.
It's even worse in that CBC is a national broadcaster with a mandate to provide a balanced views of Canadians. CNN is as biased as it gets, as does Fox News but they are private news networks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #6291
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pelosi and Wolf are getting into it on CNN pretty good right now about this stimulus bill issue.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #6292
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316129882099785728
Old 10-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #6293
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
They are there to report news, not criticize one party or another. That's what opinion pieces are for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #6294
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

CNN's been asking sort of tougher questions lately?

Old 10-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #6295
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
They are there to report news, not criticize one party or another. That's what opinion pieces are for.
Is anyone asking the CBC to criticize a specific party? The real issue at hand in Canada is the slant in coverage and what actually falls into the category of "news".
Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #6296
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Weird, everytime I tune into CBC, I see multiple stories and investigations and news on the Liberals, Conservatives and the NDP.

Maybe people are just upset because they want CBC to go full CNN or Fox News and just be hypercritical of Trudeau (which criticism isnt their job, the news is) or the opposition. CBC isn't in the habit of airing hit pieces. Are they more left leaning than centrist? Probably. But Canada is generally more left leaning than centrist anyways.

I, for one, am very proud of the fact that, internationally, CBC is well known for honest, genuine and factual reporting.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 10-13-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #6297
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
edit: found

Pelosi was hammered. By CNN. holy ####.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-13-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #6298
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Never mind. misread that..

But i did watch it. Kind of awkward because of the delay. Blitz went all out when he said his neighbors are begging for money on the street... haha
Old 10-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #6299
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird, everytime I tune into CBC, I see multiple stories and investigations and news on the Liberals, Conservatives and the NDP.

Maybe people are just upset because they want CBC to go full CNN or Fox News and just be hypercritical of Trudeau (which criticism isnt their job, the news is) or the opposition. CBC isn't in the habit of airing hit pieces. Are they more left leaning than centrist? Probably. But Canada is generally more left leaning than centrist anyways.

I, for one, am very proud of the fact that, internationally, CBC is well known for honest, genuine and factual reporting.
I called out a few of these rightwingers in the Cdn Politics thread for their outright lies about the CBC. Of course none of them watch it and are just old and grumpy
Old 10-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #6300
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

On their political panel programs, they always invite someone from each party.
Closed Thread