Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #1021
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Goaltenders are a different breed. So strange how he's up to the task against 30 teams but against one particular team he's mentally defeated. This has been going on since he was a Canuck.
Or. Orrrr.

That team has two of the most talented offensive players in the world.

Also, just him? It’s just Markstrom? Alright.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #1022
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Or. Orrrr.

Yeah, if you look at the team in front of him, they play different against the Oilers. Maybe it gets Markstrom rattled, but the kinds of chances the Oilers are being given just aren’t remotely the same as the types of chances Dallas, for example, was being given.

I’m not sure if it’s the style of game that’s wrong, but I think our defence gets exposed by the Oilers’ speed. Guys like Zadorov, Gudbranson, and Stone aren’t quick enough. Guys like Hanifin and Kylington aren’t defensively sharp enough. We basically have two defence men who can handle their assignments against a team that plays all out rush and one of them is hurt.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #1023
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom hasn't been Markstromesque and aside from the third goal, Smith hasn't been very Smithy. Markstrom hasn't been bad, but he was great in the first round and so far he's been just "fine" in these losses. I still don't blame him (especially not for Game 3 when they kept leaving Kane all alone in front) but at some point he does have to just take over a game and win it himself.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #1024
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Smith and Markstrom have pretty much identical .912 sv% and 2.69/2.70 GAA over their careers, which is over a significant body of work

To be quite honest, there is a case to be made that out of the two, Smith is the better puck stopper

We are all familiar with Smith’s numerous gaffes. One could argue his stats would only be better if he didn’t contribute to so many goals against
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #1025
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We had the same issue with Lemelin.
And even after the Flames let him go, the Oilers retained their hex on him. When the Bruins played the Oilers in the Stanley Cup finals in 1990, I recall one pundit saying “It’s over” when the Bruins put Lemelin in. He was right.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #1026
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames were screwed the moment the Oilers realized they can feast on him. It happened in the middle of game 1.

With solid goaltending series could have been 3-1 Flames

If I remember correctly., Markstrom needed a shrink to get his career on track. He needs one now.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #1027
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feel bad for him. What the heck happened between Rounds 1 and 2?

His fall has been spectacular.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #1028
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Feel bad for him. What the heck happened between Rounds 1 and 2?

His fall has been spectacular.
Same thing that happened to the entire team.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #1029
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Same thing that happened to the entire team.
Tanev injury. It sucks but we just don't realize how much we rely on him to shut down other teams top players. Markstrom I have always found to not necessarily be the guy to steal a game but he almost always keeps your team in it.

Even with Tanev not at 100% it was night and day last night in shutting down the oilers top line.

Last edited by Skaloper; 05-25-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #1030
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Or. Orrrr.

I didn't say that did I? Some of you are having a difficult time handling the situation here and want to vent but don't put that on other posters. I have not once said that it's just Markstrom so please don't put words in my mouth.

The stats don't lie. He just isn't the same goaltender against the Oilers. I have no idea why but it is what it is. If the lose the series it will be a team effort with plenty of blame to go around but Markstrom has clearly not been part of the solution and in the playoffs it's extremely difficult to win a series when your goaltender is playing below expectations. Goaltending was supposed to be a Flames advantage in this series and it's not and it's part of the reason the team is down 1-3, facing elimination.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #1031
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Markstroms performance or lack of against our most hated rivals in a series we’ve long waited for is frankly unforgivable to me. Thanks for the good times in the regular season but this is where you stamp your legacy and it was an epic fail. 4 more years at 6 mill… yikes.
CroCop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroCop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #1032
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 more years at 6M won't be an issue. Teams would line up to get a legitimate proven #1 goalie at that rate.

Doesn't mean he hasn't played poorly this series. He has.
But it doesn't mean he's not a legit #1.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #1033
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why Vladar hasn't been given a chance already. The evidence is now 13 regular season games and 4 playff games, Markström can't handle the BoA.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #1034
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Markstroms performance or lack of against our most hated rivals in a series we’ve long waited for is frankly unforgivable to me. Thanks for the good times in the regular season but this is where you stamp your legacy and it was an epic fail. 4 more years at 6 mill… yikes.

This is how I feel, and there is nothing wrong with that.

When we needed him the most, and I don’t mean getting past the second round, I mean beating the ####ing oilers, he hasn’t done his job.

I hate the fact that so many people are willing to accept that.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #1035
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s an issue if your #1 can’t come close to beating your biggest rival
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #1036
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a tradeable contract.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #1037
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I didn't say that did I? Some of you are having a difficult time handling the situation here and want to vent but don't put that on other posters. I have not once said that it's just Markstrom so please don't put words in my mouth.

The stats don't lie. He just isn't the same goaltender against the Oilers. I have no idea why but it is what it is. If the lose the series it will be a team effort with plenty of blame to go around but Markstrom has clearly not been part of the solution and in the playoffs it's extremely difficult to win a series when your goaltender is playing below expectations. Goaltending was supposed to be a Flames advantage in this series and it's not and it's part of the reason the team is down 1-3, facing elimination.
“Let me psychoanalyse the people responding to me, but please, don’t you dare put words in my mouth.” You at least half to laugh at that

I think the point is that looking at what has gone wrong goes well beyond Markstrom being “mentally defeated” or unable to play against the Oilers. I’m not even sure those two things are true at all. But they’re easy excuses, for sure.

Game 1, Markstrom was straight up bad. The rest of the time he’s been anywhere from good enough to keep us in it to great, usually period to period. So what’s actually happening? Tanev is obviously a big loss, but the last half of game 2 and game 3 the entire team absolutely stunk. We’re facing a team where the best D is Darnell Nurse and their goaltender is Mike Smith, and we only mustered a single goal in game 3.

Like we’re literally facing a team where the goons run into each other and the goaltender let’s in a shot from OUR end, and our top line has done nothing. We’re facing McDavid the equivalent of the three stooges of the NHL, and we can’t close out a game. We’re giving up grade A chances, countless two-on-ones every game, and letting guys like Nugent-Hopkins outmuscle us in the crease.

The types of golden opportunities Dallas got 2-4 times a game, the Oilers are getting 10-15 a game. Sure, the stats don’t lie, but we’re all watching the game. We can put our head in the sand and say “oh if it weren’t for this one player’s performance it would be a different story” but I think that’s lazy. Markstrom let us down in game 1 but the rest of the team picked up the slack. They’ve responded by hanging him out to dry and playing scared.

If the Flames need an out of this world goaltending performance to get past the Oilers, they don’t deserve to get past them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #1038
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Besides the first (terrible) goal last night, he was fine, even good in the last 40 minutes.

His worst game was Game 1. If he plays like he did the last 2 periods last night I'll be way more concerned with what the rest of the team is doing to win.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #1039
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It wouldn't be such a huge issue if the coaching staff wouldn't refuse to even try the other goalie against the Oilers.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #1040
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
The rival that you've faced once in the last 30 years in the playoffs.
You can't toss away Markstrom on that basis.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: