Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #201
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Two games on the schedule today:

4:00 (EDT): Saint Cloud State vs. Miami (OH)
6:30 (EDT): Union vs. Quinnipiac

The winners of these two games will join Yale and UMass-Lowell in the Frozen Four beginning April 11th.

None of the 6 remaining teams have ever won the NCAA championship.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame19,289 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #202
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched Agostino & Yale's big win which was broadcast late on ESPN today in the UK. He looks like a player. Quick skater, though looks like he has a slightly clumsy stride. Good positionally & forechecks hard. Great pass on his assist and got into just the right position for his empty net goal. I think he physically outmatched his college opposition & I wonder if he could be convinced to turn pro next year to hone his game in the AHL?

Just based on this one viewing I'd compare him to Glenncross (when Glenny is interested in playing solid 2-way hockey) with slightly better vision/IQ, though I don't know if he has as accurate & fast shot. Definitely a good 2nd liner in the next couple of years.

As a side note, I thought Yale's goalie Jeff Malcolm (free agent senior) looked very, very solid. Lethbridge boy. Someone will definitely sign him after the Frozen Four.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #203
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see what some of the Flames prospects do. Arnold is a guy who has NHL size. I could see him leaving school early. Agostino? Even Gaudreau might consider it, especially if York retires.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #204
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau will stay in college I think, just for the size factor. Always good to keep the back up plan and try too put on some size n strength in the mean time.
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #205
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Just watched Agostino & Yale's big win which was broadcast late on ESPN today in the UK. He looks like a player. Quick skater, though looks like he has a slightly clumsy stride. Good positionally & forechecks hard. Great pass on his assist and got into just the right position for his empty net goal. I think he physically outmatched his college opposition & I wonder if he could be convinced to turn pro next year to hone his game in the AHL?

Just based on this one viewing I'd compare him to Glenncross (when Glenny is interested in playing solid 2-way hockey) with slightly better vision/IQ, though I don't know if he has as accurate & fast shot. Definitely a good 2nd liner in the next couple of years.
Interesting read on him. I mentioned previously that I compared him to Max Reinhart because he's a bit of a "do all" player with a tireless work ethic. Do you get the same feeling?

Definitely think he's ready for a bottom 6 or 2nd line role with whatever the new AHL team is. I'd honestly love to see him, Arnold, and Reinhart on a line in the NHL some day...tenacity and forechecking beyond belief
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #206
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Midway through the 2nd period, St Cloud State has a 3-1 lead over Miami. No points for Hanowski yet, but there's a good chance that both of our new prospects will play in the Frozen Four.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #207
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

St Cloud won and are off to the frozen four. Union and Quinnipiac about to get underway
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #208
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
St Cloud won and are off to the frozen four. Union and Quinnipiac about to get underway
Excellent news. Would love to see a Yale/St. Cloud final. However I think Quinnipiac is destined win it all like BC was last year, That said I hope Union pulls off the upset to give St. Cloud a better shot in the semi finals
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #209
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quinnipiac won 5-1

So it's Quinnipiac vs St Cloud state and Yale vs Umass
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #210
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of funny that the two prospects we received from the Penguins will be playing the biggest games of their college careers in Pittsburgh for the Frozen Four.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #211
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Kind of funny that the two prospects we received from the Penguins will be playing the biggest games of their college careers in Pittsburgh for the Frozen Four.
Maybe they can get together with Iginla for a group photo while they're in Pittsburgh.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #212
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Will be interesting to see what some of the Flames prospects do. Arnold is a guy who has NHL size. I could see him leaving school early. Agostino? Even Gaudreau might consider it, especially if York retires.
If these guys do turn pro & leave Uni is there any chance they can finish their degrees by correspondence or something? In the case of Agostino he might consider leaving if he weren't on the verge of getting a degree from an Ivy League school.

Arnold does everything for BC. You would think he would be a strong candidate for Captain next year, and since they just got knocked out of the championship in such an embarrassing fashion I imagine he & JG are going to be out for revenge next year. No rush to bring them to the big club anyway.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #213
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Interesting read on him. I mentioned previously that I compared him to Max Reinhart because he's a bit of a "do all" player with a tireless work ethic. Do you get the same feeling?

Definitely think he's ready for a bottom 6 or 2nd line role with whatever the new AHL team is. I'd honestly love to see him, Arnold, and Reinhart on a line in the NHL some day...tenacity and forechecking beyond belief
I haven't had the chance to see Max Reinhart play yet, so I wouldn't know. From what I've read on here about Reinhart and seen of Arnold I think that would be a really effective checking line. Arnold reminds me of Joel Otto & I think he might be ready to turn pro, but I would be surprised if he didn't go for one more frozen four next year to make amends for losing out on this one.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #214
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
If these guys do turn pro & leave Uni is there any chance they can finish their degrees by correspondence or something? In the case of Agostino he might consider leaving if he weren't on the verge of getting a degree from an Ivy League school.

Arnold does everything for BC. You would think he would be a strong candidate for Captain next year, and since they just got knocked out of the championship in such an embarrassing fashion I imagine he & JG are going to be out for revenge next year. No rush to bring them to the big club anyway.
Of course, but they'd likely have to actually pay for it should they leave school.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #215
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Of course, but they'd likely have to actually pay for it should they leave school.
So they only leave if they are signing a professional deal, which gives them that money, with the expectation they will see NHL minutes, or at least have that potential (to earn the NHL salary)
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #216
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
So they only leave if they are signing a professional deal, which gives them that money, with the expectation they will see NHL minutes, or at least have that potential (to earn the NHL salary)
Who knows, they could leave for a variety of hockey or other reasons. It would be surprising to see someone leave before their senior year without looking like a sure fire NHLer, but it's not out of the question. I would imagine the Flames would prefer to have them stay in college if they aren't going to be factors.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #217
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Who knows, they could leave for a variety of hockey or other reasons. It would be surprising to see someone leave before their senior year without looking like a sure fire NHLer, but it's not out of the question. I would imagine the Flames would prefer to have them stay in college if they aren't going to be factors.
i think the Flames want Agostino to stay his final year too, so he can complete the trifecta of Flames hobey baker nominees with Gaudreau & Gillies next year, maybe DeBlouw can make it a quadfecta!
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #218
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Frozen 4 kicks off tonight. Dont suppose anyone on CP will actually be attending, will they? Anyway, should be a couple good games.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #219
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yale (Agostino) VS Mass-Lowell @ 2:30PM MT

St Cloud State (Hanowski) VS Quinnipiac @ 6:00PM MT

Anywhere we can stream the games online? I'd like to be able to at least keep the Yale game on while I work.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #220
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The games today are going to be broadcast on ESPN2 in the States, so that's probably your best bet for finding a stream.