Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #3461
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I didn't see anything from Ward to suggest he is a one-system kind of guy.

Dump and chase is used by every team strikes me more as a situational strategy than a broad one.
True. I was just responding to the assertion you can’t win with dump and chase. TB does it a lot. They just do it very well.

FWIW I don’t think Ward even coaches a dump and chase system either.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #3462
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans overuse the dump and chase argument, I think - every team does it. The question is, how much do they rely on it?

I think a more useful discussion is about how a team transitions, and moves from zone to zone.

I believe the Flames are most effective when they are utilizing a high-tempo transitional game. And they are least effective when they are moving zone to zone. Gulutzan had them moving as a 5 man unit from zone to zone, which is fine if you have a physical team that is good on the boards.

The Flames do not. They are best in an open-ice, up tempo game.

I do not yet know how Ward is going to have them play. there was too much zone to zone hockey for my liking this past year, but he took over mid-season, so I don't think we should hang that on him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #3463
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I didn't see anything from Ward to suggest he is a one-system kind of guy.

Dump and chase is used by every team strikes me more as a situational strategy than a broad one.
100% right on, IMO. Situational decision making.

It is simply taking the time and space that is available by reading and reacting to what space is available. Risk and reward.

Situational awareness.

This has NOTHING to do with system. NO TEAM wants to dump it in...BUT sometimes that is where the space is.
Everything to do with making good team and individual tactical decisions, NOT system.

On odd man rushes , often the puck gets kickEd outside to wide speed, mid lane drive, weak side flanker through the outside faceoff spot for rebound with a 4th man high.... and/ or “a teammate takes your ice; you take theirs” (crisscross).

Sometimes the space is behind the defenders, on even man rushes...3 v3 4v 4..Chip it or place it in an area where you can recover the puck, avoiding a blue line turnover. Risk and reward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #3464
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fans overuse the dump and chase argument, I think - every team does it. The question is, how much do they rely on it?

I think a more useful discussion is about how a team transitions, and moves from zone to zone.

I believe the Flames are most effective when they are utilizing a high-tempo transitional game. And they are least effective when they are moving zone to zone. Gulutzan had them moving as a 5 man unit from zone to zone, which is fine if you have a physical team that is good on the boards.

The Flames do not. They are best in an open-ice, up tempo game.

I do not yet know how Ward is going to have them play. there was too much zone to zone hockey for my liking this past year, but he took over mid-season, so I don't think we should hang that on him.
And I'm not sure why with Peters/Ward that the team midseason last year transition from one being a high-tempo that scored off the rush (which is how lots of teams score these days I feel), to a slower paced east-west transition team that has difficulty entering the zone. Especially when it comes to the PP.

North-south hockey I feel is the best, and most straightforward way to generate offense since you'll be having the defense play on the heel of their skates, or chasing, rather than getting the defense to set-up and contain the breakout. The team should be much more a quick strike team that as soon as they get puck, try to get an odd-man rush, or possibly a breakaway each and every time.

Obviously much more easier said than done, and requires to be much more aggressive defensively, and probably trust in your goaltender also incase of a breakdown, but with the higher risk, it could lead to higher reward. Johnny, and the rest of the offense is a lot more effective when they're able to generate solid chances off the rush, rather than trying to cycle a scoring opportunity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #3465
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
And I'm not sure why with Peters/Ward that the team midseason last year transition from one being a high-tempo that scored off the rush (which is how lots of teams score these days I feel), to a slower paced east-west transition team that has difficulty entering the zone. Especially when it comes to the PP.

North-south hockey I feel is the best, and most straightforward way to generate offense since you'll be having the defense play on the heel of their skates, or chasing, rather than getting the defense to set-up and contain the breakout. The team should be much more a quick strike team that as soon as they get puck, try to get an odd-man rush, or possibly a breakaway each and every time.

Obviously much more easier said than done, and requires to be much more aggressive defensively, and probably trust in your goaltender also incase of a breakdown, but with the higher risk, it could lead to higher reward. Johnny, and the rest of the offense is a lot more effective when they're able to generate solid chances off the rush, rather than trying to cycle a scoring opportunity.
I generally agree with this. I don’t think Vegas is an unusually fast team, but they go up ice quickly after gaining possession, and try to give the D no time to set. I think Calgary can do this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #3466
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The distribution of ice-time needs for this team mess up this entire idea; it might work only if the team started 100% in the offensive zone. Backlund needs to be on the ice more than any other forward because of how important he is in the defensive zone. Because of this, he can't be saddled with a guy like Lucic on his wing all the time, and Bennett is simply not capable of replacing what Backlund can do.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Fair; my thought was that you would be even more likely to have Backlund available for d-zone face offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #3467
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The concept of trading iginla was to get some reasonable return for the asset.
Which didn’t happen
Nothing to do with hating players
Yes but all players are assets. The comment about discussing Iginla’s shortcomings is accurate IMO. I think it’s rather fair to say some fans fall in love with marginal players with lower expectations and are quick to point out the shortcomings of the better players.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #3468
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yes but all players are assets. The comment about discussing Iginla’s shortcomings is accurate IMO. I think it’s rather fair to say some fans fall in love with marginal players with lower expectations and are quick to point out the shortcomings of the better players.
Expectations and accountability are correlated to the salary amount ?

You bet!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #3469
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Expectations and accountability are correlated to the salary amount ?

You bet!
I know it is semantics but I don't care about the salary. I care about the cap hit in relation to the team.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #3470
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Winnipeg is loaded at wing, they'd have no interest in swapping Laine for Gaudreau. They're after a D, Hanifin would be a more likely target but I think they've got their eyes set on bigger targets, I.e. Ekblad.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #3471
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

For all of the people saying Gaudreau is definitely leaving, how do you interpret this from Burke?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-nylander.html

Quote:
Now as a media guy, do you root for anyone?

I have a soft spot for my old teams. Mostly players, guys I drafted, or guys I traded for. Obviously that crop dwindles every year. Those guys in Calgary that were there when I drafted, they’ll be there for 10 more years. I cheer for Sam Bennett, Johnny Gaudreau. The one team I’ll always have a soft spot for is Philly, because it’s the only organization I ever played in. I only played one year pro, won a Calder Cup. Flyers were great to me. I scouted for them in my first year of law school.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:55 AM   #3472
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
For all of the people saying Gaudreau is definitely leaving, how do you interpret this from Burke?

Johnny was drafted when Burke was in the Toronto Org.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:09 AM   #3473
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Johnny was drafted when Burke was in the Toronto Org.
Right you are. Guess I was thinking about when they signed him

Despite you being technically correct (the best kind of correct), does there seem to be an inference there though?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:38 AM   #3474
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke hasn’t been in the org for over 2 years. I’m not sure his tuned into that kind of stuff.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #3475
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to be naive if you don't think Burke and Treliving don't have some type of relationship. I'm sure they have the same thoughts on things such as that. I read it and thought Johnny and Bennett are probably keepers based on this season at least. This could change if an opinion goes south for anyone but I can see those two on the team one last year as management probably sees them as more-or-less, important pieces despite one being a third liner. I'm positive the team doesn't go into the season as-is, as Treliving never doesn't make a big trade, so we'll see who's on the outs.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #3476
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

A meaning less comment with no insight if Johnny would re-sign. He is just listing some of his favourite players.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #3477
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
You have to be naive if you don't think Burke and Treliving don't have some type of relationship. I'm sure they have the same thoughts on things such as that. I read it and thought Johnny and Bennett are probably keepers based on this season at least. This could change if an opinion goes south for anyone but I can see those two on the team one last year as management probably sees them as more-or-less, important pieces despite one being a third liner. I'm positive the team doesn't go into the season as-is, as Treliving never doesn't make a big trade, so we'll see who's on the outs.
Burke and Treliving probably do have a relationship, but Brian Burke is no longer an employee of the Calgary Flames. I find it hard to believe he is privy to decisions on players in the organization. He’s only stating his opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #3478
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Winnipeg is loaded at wing, they'd have no interest in swapping Laine for Gaudreau. They're after a D, Hanifin would be a more likely target but I think they've got their eyes set on bigger targets, I.e. Ekblad.

I agree they won’t want Johnny for Laine. Think if they are talking to Calgary they are asking for Anderson . This is what I think it would take to get Laine at the bare minimum..... Anderson , Mangiapane and a 1st .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #3479
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

He obviously has no say in what the Flames do or don't do but in an industry where experts and whatnot are consulted on, it wouldn't surprise me if Treliving and Burke share thoughts. Whether Treliving decides to accept it or not, who knows, but it wouldn't be a stretch for Treliving to ask an opinion from Burke and others every now and then.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #3480
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
He obviously has no say in what the Flames do or don't do but in an industry where experts and whatnot are consulted on, it wouldn't surprise me if Treliving and Burke share thoughts. Whether Treliving decides to accept it or not, who knows, but it wouldn't be a stretch for Treliving to ask an opinion from Burke and others every now and then.
That’s not the point. Burke was quoted as if he knew that Gaudreau was going to be a Flame for the long haul. I don’t think that’s something even Treliving knows.
Closed Thread