Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #2421
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
As it stands today, Markstrom and Tanev don’t make up for all the depth the Flames have lost - especially Brodie who was probably the team’s best overall defenseman. Tanev is not even close to making up for that, and probably becomes a whipping boy fairly quickly. Coaching is still highly questionable.

I’m hoping there’s more moves to come because I don’t see a playoff team in this group.
Completely disagree. Valamaki stays healthy - he easily makes up the difference.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #2422
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As it stands today, Markstrom and Tanev don’t make up for all the depth the Flames have lost - especially Brodie who was probably the team’s best overall defenseman. Tanev is not even close to making up for that, and probably becomes a whipping boy fairly quickly. Coaching is still highly questionable.

I’m hoping there’s more moves to come because I don’t see a playoff team in this group.
I think that the loss of Brodie gives opportunity to our other young d-men, and we have one of the best young d groups in the league.One of Andersson or Valimaki will be slotted in to play with Gio, and they will do just fine. If Markstrom can play like he did last year, that too makes up for that loss. Tanev was a great signing-he's a warrior and a great leader.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #2423
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Completely disagree. Valamaki stays healthy - he easily makes up the difference.
That’s a tall order for Valimaki but that’s how you do it, replace departing players from within. He might need more than next year to get to Brodie’s level though.

Taking goalie out of the picture, is it reasonable Flames carry the play more with this lineup? Probably need Mangiapane and Tkachuk to take another step each and have some 4th liners emerge out of nowhere.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #2424
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you think about Granlund as a Frolik type replacement on the Backlund Tkachuk line, it would be a 3M line again but would it be as good??
Old 10-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #2425
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
What do you think about Granlund as a Frolik type replacement on the Backlund Tkachuk line, it would be a 3M line again but would it be as good??
Magipagne is much better on that line as they will be playing hard minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #2426
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Magipagne is much better on that line as they will be playing hard minutes.
Still hoping we find some sort of 2nd line forward to slot into the top 6 to allow us to run Mangiapane - Bennett - Dube as a 2B line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #2427
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Andersson will take a step, between him and Hanifin I hope they make up for the points we lost with Brodie out of the lineup. Valli might also provide a punch. Tanevs job will not be to put up points obviously. Should hopefully be a balanced defence, and with solid goaltending we should be good.

Would still like to shake up the forward group. Even though Hall is gone, I would like to trade 13 for something... not draft picks, since we aren’t replacing him in FA, but would like to move him for more of a power forward.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #2428
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dp

Last edited by Doctorfever; 10-12-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Dub
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #2429
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I've said before that he could use a change of scenery. His offensive numbers have taken a hit in Nashville, but the same can be said for all of Nashville's forwards. A few short years ago in Minny, he was hovering near 70pts for a few seasons. I think he would be a great signing for that line, as he would put up much more offense than Mangiapane or Frolik. At the same time, you could put Mangiapane on a third line with Bennett and Dube.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #2430
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Markstrom + Tanev >>>>> Talbot + Brodie

and I was always a big Brodie fan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #2431
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

What makes Markstrom a big draw? I didn’t watch any canucks games Last year really but he had basically the same stats as Koskinen and slightly worse that Talbot last year (GAA and sv%)?

Last edited by Weitz; 10-12-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #2432
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I like Markstrom, but do he and Tanev make up for all of Brodie, Stone, Gus, Forbort, Hamonic, Talbot, and Jankowski? I have doubts Tanev makes up for much more than Hamonic - keeping in mind I think terms like ‘intangibles’ and ‘defensive defenseman’ are just rationales and euphemisms people use for players who aren’t very good. I don’t see a lot to like in Tanev’s numbers.

Coaching is a huge question mark (at best) that Treliving failed to improve on, the depth has been gutted, and the forwards that completely flopped during gut check time are still intact. I have my worries that the Flames are just continuing to tread water here.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #2433
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I think it is a very good bet that both Gaudreau and Monahan will have better showings than their worst statistical seasons since they were rookies.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #2434
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What makes Markstrom a big draw? I didn’t watch any canucks games Last year really but he had basically the same stats as Koskinen and slightly worse that Talbot last year (GAA and sv%)?
The difference is what Markstrom had playing in front of him (weak and/or young D corps). The last 2 years he's been heroic, considering that he got the kitchen sink thrown at him most nights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #2435
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like Markstrom, but do he and Tanev make up for all of Brodie, Stone, Gus, Forbort, Hamonic, Talbot, and Jankowski? I have doubts Tanev makes up for much more than Hamonic - keeping in mind I think terms like ‘intangibles’ and ‘defensive defenseman’ are just rationales and euphemisms people use for players who aren’t very good. I don’t see a lot to like in Tanev’s numbers.

Coaching is a huge question mark (at best) that Treliving failed to improve on, the depth has been gutted, and the forwards that completely flopped during gut check time are still intact. I have my worries that the Flames are just continuing to tread water here.
Yup, because the offseason is not done yet. And in case anybody forgot how successful this team was with all them faces. 1 series win in the last 3 playoff appearances. 10 wins total. I think. Give or take a W.

Thats it. This team needs a change and no better time to land a #1 bonafide starting goalie. And one of the better (better than Hamonic ) defensive D men.

Who flipping cares about the rest of what was. They're gone. Move on.

Theres more work to be done still and I for one am fully expecting some real change at forward too.

A big thank you to Brodie for being all he became in Calgary during his tenure, but things change and time marches on. Talbot was the only real bright spot besides brodie on the list. Eff the rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #2436
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wait - make up for Jankowski, Forbort, Stone, Gus, Hamonic? Ummmm, yes?

You are seriously selling Tanev short.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #2437
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I do wish something was done to shake up the forwards, but I'm not too worried about our D. We have an army of young guys ready to take the next step, and a group of guys waiting behind that. Stone, Forbort, and Hamonic (the possession black hole) have been replaced with faster, better puck-moving young Defensemen.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #2438
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well, he was 4th in voting for the Vezina. The GMs vote on that award. But what do they know?

So yeah...he’s better, a lot better . I did watch him last season. He is top notch.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #2439
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think it is a very good bet that both Gaudreau and Monahan will have better showings than their worst statistical seasons since they were rookies.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

They might, but it’s also possible that they might have been figured out and are unable to adapt. Teams that can play the body on Gaudreau and keep him along the boards with no support, as Dallas did, effectively shut down Monahan for free as well.

There are some legitimate reasons to be concerned that the top line (and by extension, a huge chunk of the Flames’ offence) relies too much on a player whose physical shortcomings are easily exploitable. This pretty much just leaves Tkachuk as the only other offensive threat to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #2440
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Screw the idea of signing Mike Hoffman. He bring too many 'baggages', career-wise.

Remember this?

I don't want that guy near our locker room.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread