Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 2018 NFL thread

Time to retire last year, as the arade is over and its time to move forward.

I will start it with this....uhh...gem.

Quote:
Is New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski planning a second career in Hollywood?

That's the word from the Eagle-Tribune in Lawrence, Massachusetts, which reports that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Sylvester Stallone have urged Gronkowski to try his hand at the movie business.

The paper, citing an unnamed source, said Johnson, a former professional wrestler, and Stallone, of "Rocky" fame, have told Gronkowski he could make millions in action films.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...e-movie-career
Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niners sign Garoppolo to a 5 year $137.5M deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...5year-contract
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Niners sign Garoppolo to a 5 year $137.5M deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...5year-contract
Good lord...its getting obscene.

I wonder where this puts Rodgers in his negs?

7 years 200M or so?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

highest paid player in the NFL. That's ridiculous.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm wondering what this does for Brees' negotiations too..though his are always in the 1-2 year category now

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niners have tons of cap space so if they front loaded the contract it might be a good deal in terms of long term cap implications. Still insane money for a guy with fewer than 10 NFL starts.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible contract. They have the cap space today but if they ever want to build their team to a true contender the space will dry up fast. There is simply no way a guy that's started half a season should warrant being the highest paid player in the league. My guess is that if he hit free agency it's possible the Browns would have ponied up this kind of money (because they are the Browns) but I don't see any other team in that ball park when a more proven QB like Cousins is on the market. QB is the most important position on the team without a doubt but tying up 15% of your cap space into one player leaving 85% for the remaining 52 players is kind of crazy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

NFL GM's have really screwed themselves over with these obscene contracts they've given QBs. Quite frankly, if you can start, you'll be the highest paid QB until the next QB is due for a contract.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I think this maybe sheds some light into what Cousins might have been looking for, and why Washington was willing to go to Alex Smith at 23 million a year.

If you have Rogers, or Brady at QB, even Russel Wilson I see why those guys are so important. But I wonder if we don't see a few more teams try to get away from paying average or above average pay these types of salary's. If teams start to go this route and do it with a modicum of success, maybe the market will shift.

The Eagles as an example with a couple lower salary QB's were able to surround them with a lot of other talent.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would much, much rather have Garoppolo than Cousins. Garoppolo is younger, better arm, more athletic. Oh the Niners roster is worse than the Redskins and Jimmy won one fewer game than Cousins despite having 10 fewer starts. Jimmy is gonna be top 5 in the league, especially with Shanahan.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah terrible contract, but more so the guaranteed portion. Jimmy G probably a decent QB and his undefeated run in garbage time for the 49ers had them had to pay through the roof.
When Seattle signed Flynn, he had only had one or two starts for GB and got 3 y $20m. An injury in the first preseason game opened the door for Wilson and Flynn never started in Seattle.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I would much, much rather have Garoppolo than Cousins. Garoppolo is younger, better arm, more athletic. Oh the Niners roster is worse than the Redskins and Jimmy won one fewer game than Cousins despite having 10 fewer starts. Jimmy is gonna be top 5 in the league, especially with Shanahan.
That's a leap of faith as his stats aren't exactly eye opening as he's thrown almost as many interceptions as touchdowns this season. In those five meaningless wins the QB's he faced were Trubisky, Yates, Mariota (was not very good this season), Bortles, and Mannion. What exactly has he shown that indicates he's going to be in the same discussion as Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, etc. It's a leap of faith to say he's in the same conversation as Wentz as an up and coming QB and I don't think he's even in the same discussion as Derek Carr. I forecast a lot of disappointment in San Francisco as to me he looks like an average QB at best.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't say he was top 5 right now. He's going to be. Just take a look at Matt Ryan as to how important Shanahan is. Stats aren't everything, Glennon had a 2:1 career TD to INT before the Bears signed him, so....
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #14
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Hours after the Eagles wrapped up a day of celebration with their Super Bowl victory parade in Philadelphia, quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo was hired by the Vikings to take over OC duties, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Vikings had purpose in waiting until after the Super Bowl to make a hire. Former offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur was introduced for the first time as the New York Giants head coach on Jan. 26, the day Mike Zimmer began conducting interviews for his replacement at his ranch in Northern Kentucky. Shurmur had been officially hired by the Giants the day after the Vikings lost the NFC Championship to the Eagles.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ve-coordinator
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titans stole the OC from the Rams what a huge win! Titans went from having the worst OC to one of the best.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:40 AM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Titans stole the OC from the Rams what a huge win! Titans went from having the worst OC to one of the best.
I'm in China right now, so my google abilities are limited but is that actually such a big coup? Wasn't McVay largely the brains behind the offense there?
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm in China right now, so my google abilities are limited but is that actually such a big coup? Wasn't McVay largely the brains behind the offense there?
Yes. LaFleur was essentially running McVay's offense. That said I imagine he's going to make good use of that play book. Big stretch to call him one of the best coordinators considering last season was his first year as coordinator. He could be a good coordinator or he could be the next Todd Downing.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-09-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Boston Herald was duped into publishing a front page story about Brady holding out until he gets Jimmy G type money. It started with someone claiming to be Brady's agent Don Yee texting a Herald Sports writer, supposedly giving him the scoop on the potential hold out. I guess the reporter didn't bother to verify if it was actually Brady's agent and just went with it. And they were exchanging texts for weeks... yikes.

Brady has always been ok with fairly lean contracts when compared to some of these other ludicrous QB deals- who are we kidding though, he probably makes 30mil a year in endorsements and his wife is worth more than he is.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't think he's overly happy about his unproven understudy getting more money per season than he's ever made in his career. This contract is going to really inflate the price of starting QB's as a lot of very good QB's are saying to their agents; "This guy hasn't accomplished anything in this league and he's getting more than me? I expect my next contract to reflect what I'm worth if he's getting that money".
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
So the Boston Herald was duped into publishing a front page story about Brady holding out until he gets Jimmy G type money. It started with someone claiming to be Brady's agent Don Yee texting a Herald Sports writer, supposedly giving him the scoop on the potential hold out. I guess the reporter didn't bother to verify if it was actually Brady's agent and just went with it. And they were exchanging texts for weeks... yikes.

Brady has always been ok with fairly lean contracts when compared to some of these other ludicrous QB deals- who are we kidding though, he probably makes 30mil a year in endorsements and his wife is worth more than he is.
Bolded part is mostly why the patriots have been to 8 superbowls. Yes Brady is the greatest to play and Bill is the best coach but Brady could have demanded the max contracts and not re-structured in the past. He has always been about winning first and not maximizing $. This has allowed the patriots to build a TEAM not pay for a position
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote