Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #841
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Just had my call. Declined season tickets, but I asked about game packs, and I was told they are considering 3, 5, 7, and 10 game-packs.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #842
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry is announcing 4 more signings tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...36548631007232

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #843
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Cavalry is announcing 4 more signings tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...36548631007232
One would assume at least a couple more Foothills alumni, but any hint of some surprises, or have your contacts been quiet?
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #844
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
One would assume at least a couple more Foothills alumni, but any hint of some surprises, or have your contacts been quiet?
I'm completely in the dark about these signings, but I would have to guess both Dean Northover and Nico Pasquotti are two of them.

One of the rumours being floated is Mason Trafford. He has played for Martin Nash in Ottawa, and was an NASL best 11 selection in 2017. If this happens, I would argue he's the best CB announced in the league to date.

Last edited by shermanator; 01-22-2019 at 06:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #845
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of them is Dean. Not sure who the others are however.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #846
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The signings are Niko Giantsopoulos, Dean Northover, Nico Pasquotti and Carlos Patino. Three more players from the Foothills PDL winning team, and a keeper who was playing in Australia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #847
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The signings are Niko Giantsopoulos, Dean Northover, Nico Pasquotti and Carlos Patino. Three more players from the Foothills PDL winning team, and a keeper who was playing in Australia.

Pretty good guesses. Decent supporting players. Hopefully one or two more surprises with significant Div 1 experience (in any country) are coming, since as stacked as the PDL Foothills were, you have to assume the skill level here will be USL or better and I'd hate to think of Cavalry as a promotion team from a lower division, I'd like to see them compete at the top.

Last edited by Thunderball; 01-23-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #848
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I'm completely in the dark about these signings, but I would have to guess both Dean Northover and Nico Pasquotti are two of them.

One of the rumours being floated is Mason Trafford. He has played for Martin Nash in Ottawa, and was an NASL best 11 selection in 2017. If this happens, I would argue he's the best CB announced in the league to date.
Mason Trafford has a bit of a Calgary connection as well. His cousin is Charlie Trafford, who grew up here and and was coached by TW Jr. and is currently with Inverness in Scotland.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #849
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
Mason Trafford has a bit of a Calgary connection as well. His cousin is Charlie Trafford, who grew up here and and was coached by TW Jr. and is currently with Inverness in Scotland.
I think Charlie is on the squad.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #850
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm way late on this... Can someone catch me up?

I'd be tentatively interested in seasons/game packs, as my son plays/loves soccer, and he enjoyed his first flames game this year. Summer, outside, sounds like fun. The prices upthread seem higher than I would have expected, especially if they're charging for parking (coming from the far NW I can't add additional commute time).

Does anyone have the pricing for the different sections for season tickets? If its a decent discount I might still be in...I like being in on the ground floor of things, and would love for Calgary to have a successful pro soccer club.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #851
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interview with the league commissioner on Sportsnet from yesterday. In it, he confirms the season will be 28 games long, starting in late April and ending in October. Also discusses roster rules, broadcasting, the league's relationship with MLS and their Canadian clubs, expansion plans, promotion/relegation, and the Ottawa Fury. Good read.

Also, it sounds like the league will have a big announcement coming up Tuesday morning. Speculation is that it will be a broadcast deal.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-...nadian-soccer/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #852
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

I'd be tentatively interested in seasons/game packs, as my son plays/loves soccer, and he enjoyed his first flames game this year. Summer, outside, sounds like fun. The prices upthread seem higher than I would have expected, especially if they're charging for parking (coming from the far NW I can't add additional commute time).

Does anyone have the pricing for the different sections for season tickets? If its a decent discount I might still be in...I like being in on the ground floor of things, and would love for Calgary to have a successful pro soccer club.
If you can find the seating map, here are the season ticket prices: https://imgur.com/a/idkrprn

They haven't announced prices for game packs yet as far as I know but probably somewhere between the single game and season ticket prices.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #853
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My season tickets in the supporters section were $283, which includes tax. That is definitely one of the lower price points though. I think the ends of the main grandstand are around $400. Not sure if game packs have actually been announced yet, but it sounds like that's going to be a popular option.

Anything else I can catch you up on?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #854
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, it sounds like the league will have a big announcement coming up Tuesday morning. Speculation is that it will be a broadcast deal.
Peter Schaad (a Whitecaps media guy with TSN) tweeted this the other day:

Quote:
Peter Schaad @PeteSchaad

I’ve heard rumblings from a few avenues that the CPL may be on the verge of a rather significant broadcast/media rights deal. If true, what a fantastic achievement for the League & CSB leadership. The chain reaction from that kind of deal would be immense. #CanPL ����
https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad/statu...71611872960512
Being a TSN employee and being excited about it, I would guess that TSN is somehow involved. Interesting how things like Rogers massive NHL deal a few years ago, and TSN/Sportsnet losing Premier League rights (rumoured) to DAZN will come into play.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #855
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really like the direction of the league and the comish seems to have a pretty good gauge on how to proceed. The only thing I struggle with is the goal to get to a point where there are two leagues, with relegation. I just can't see a team in the 2nd division getting a ton of fan support. Works in a place like England or Germany, but I think it would take a long time to be the same here.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #856
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to both of you! At a 10% discount, I think I'd rather buy a game pack or just a few single tickets on days with good weather forecasts. I'm way more of a "Calgary Sports Fan" than a soccer fan, and think it might be fun to do with my son. I really enjoyed a football game we went to in Brazil (pre-kids) primarily because of the atmosphere. If we could have something similar here (probably without the razor wire and armed guards between sections) that'd be great.

Or possibly the voyagers cup games. I've always thought that looked neat. It isn't clear to me whether those tickets are included in the season ticket packs?

Because those games should be outside of the regular league play given they could be against teams in other leagues right?

Last edited by bizaro86; 01-25-2019 at 04:46 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #857
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Or possibly the voyagers cup games. I've always thought that looked neat. It isn't clear to me whether those tickets are included in the season ticket packs?

Because those games should be outside of the regular league play given they could be against teams in other leagues right?
I believe the season tickets include one Cup game. I assume if they make it past the first round we'd have to pay for each additional round. And yes, the first round may be against a team from League One Ontario or whatever the Quebec League is called and later rounds will include the MLS teams and the Ottawa Fury.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #858
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interview with the league commissioner on Sportsnet from yesterday. In it, he confirms the season will be 28 games long, starting in late April and ending in October. Also discusses roster rules, broadcasting, the league's relationship with MLS and their Canadian clubs, expansion plans, promotion/relegation, and the Ottawa Fury. Good read.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cpl-...nadian-soccer/
Any broadcasting deal thst can get on TSN or Sportsnet or even just their streaming services to start is immensly better than DAZN or an in-house stream. To be able to build advertising revenue and reputation with the networks through that makes the next steps for the league easier down the road.

Doesn’t guarantee revenue, and the CSL was on TSN for 5 or 6 years in the late 80s and early 90s post World Cup appearance, in a much different (favourable - TSN was the only cable game in town) TV and media landscape, and it didn’t save the league.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #859
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

All kits will be announced in early April

https://canpl.ca/video/were-planning...ed-this-spring

Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #860
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big announcement from the league coming at 9 am tomorrow.