Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #421
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah I actually didn’t follow my own tip and instead added a curated list of comics and story arcs I actually plan to read. I assume this is BLM related? What a great way to attract readers.

I like BP but only owned the MK complete collection vol 1. I probably never would have gotten around to buying most of the 100+ comics I added. Just too much content out there ahead on my wish list.

But who knows, maybe BP is my new favourite. Applies to kids too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #422
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah I actually didn’t follow my own tip and instead added a curated list of comics and story arcs I actually plan to read. I assume this is BLM related? What a great way to attract readers.

I like BP but only owned the MK complete collection vol 1. I probably never would have gotten around to buying most of the 100+ comics I added. Just too much content out there ahead on my wish list.

But who knows, maybe BP is my new favourite. Applies to kids too.

I believe it's a tribute to Chadwick Boseman but I haven't seen an official statement from Marvel.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #423
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC Universe non comic book content is moving to HBO Max. The comics only service will be rebranded as DC Universe Infinite, and is launching in the USA in January, and supposed to be available internationally later in 2021, summer I think?

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/09/18/dc...erse-infinite/
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #424
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I just finished the Vision miniseries by Tom King. I’d heard it was great but was not expecting that at all. It’s wild and well worth a read.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #425
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just started reading Sex Criminals
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #426
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I just finished the Vision miniseries by Tom King. I’d heard it was great but was not expecting that at all. It’s wild and well worth a read.
Tom King has the market cornered on Marvel and DC prestige miniseries. It's a formula that works for him and his collaborators.

I went into an honest to god comic store today for the first time in quite a while. Picked up three trade paperbacks:

Heavy Vinyl: Y2KO!

It's 1999 and Chris is living her dream: working at Vinyl Destination by day and fighting for (musical) justice by night in the world's coolest teen girl vigilante fight club, and playing in a band during her free time. * When the girls enter a Battle of The Bands, they learn that the shadowy corporate masters of the music industry plan to destroy the fledgling world of digital music and blame it on Y2K.

I've enjoyed Carly Usdin's writing and she writes teen coming of age kind of stories very well. Plus I like the clean art style Nina Vakueva brings to the book.

The Old Guard Volume 2: Force Multiplied

When you’ve waged war as long as Andy and her squad, you’ve gotten your hands more than bloody. Now, the day has come to confront the sins of the past. But as Nile struggles to make peace with the team, the last person Andy ever expected to see again returns to challenge not only what Andy believes in, but what the team is willing to fight for.

I'm a noted Greg Rucka fan. I loved the original series that was adapted into the Netflix movie. I loved the Netflix movie that released earlier this summer. And I loved this sequel volume in the planned 3 volume story. Leo Fernandez has a cartoony style that takes getting used to. But this story and these characters are truly enjoyable.

Crowded Volume 2

After escaping a televised attempt on their lives and blowing past two million bucks in their REAPR campaign, Charlie and Vita abandon Los Angeles for the desert paradise Las Vegas in search of answers. But between the human debris of Charlie’s past and the well-kept secrets of Vita’s old life, the only thing less likely than Charlie and Vita surviving their REAPR campaign is them surviving each other.

I can't say enough good things about Crowded. The story is kinetic, the sight gags and art are tremendous, and the premise is not so close to home as to be eery or depressing (well, not too much).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #427
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just downloaded some older Star Wars graphic novels.

Legacy 1 and 2

Dark Lord of the Sith.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #428
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
That MK Black Panther by Chris Priest is top notch from 1998.

Also, paging Troutman. Or is he too old for digital?
I've got all the BP books (and Jungle Action in a hardcover). Priest's run is top notch.

Last edited by troutman; 09-23-2020 at 04:43 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #429
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This might belong in the Watchmen thread but the story belongs in here. It's a great 5 minutes about comics and collecting.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #430
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Grant Morrison wrote multiple episodes of the Brave New World Series that’s on Showcase. Neat.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #431
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Reading some Batman I picked up a while ago. Cataclysm, Road to NML and No Man’s Land. All are the newer editions that include all the related titles.

I’m shocked at how good it is. The old adage that Marvel gets all the artists and DC the writers never seemed more true, for this era at least. Compared to something like Onslaught or any X-Men crossover for that matter or any Spider-Man crossover, it’s shocking. The art does kinda suck but man the writing is so much darker, story driven and well coordinated for such a huge crossover.

People dying, getting crushed, kids dying, people killing themselves. It’s just feels so much more grounded, despite some whacky villains, because it feels like it’s happening to a real city with real people. Marvel crossovers of this era always felt so detached and kid friendly.

Even compared to the highly rated Marvel crossovers, of the 80s/90s, like Mutant Massacre and, I hate to say it, AoA this is far superior writing in every imaginable way. Onslaught, AoA, Zero Tolerance etc all look amazing but they’re real thin on quality storytelling.

I’m 20 years too late but kudos DC. This is quality storytelling on a large scale.

Not that DC is perfect. Knightfall has all of the same downsides as the aforementioned Marvel crossovers. I didn’t even finish. It reeked of a mid 90s cash in where more attention was paid to the die cut wraparound foil enhanced holographic covers than the content. I also found Death in the Family to be pretty lame for such a massive storyline, albeit not a crossover.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #432
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel's 616 on Disney+ is shining a spotlight on some comics creators, and from what I've read it's not always flattering. I'm going to watch the episodes myself, but the one featuring Dan Slott and the "Marvel Method" is apparently just a bizarre piece showcasing someone who is not great at their job and laughing it off? It's also funny that editor Tom Brevoort is in the episode as he's been on record about hating the main Marvel Comics continuity taking place on Earth 616.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #433
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Marvel's 616 on Disney+ is shining a spotlight on some comics creators, and from what I've read it's not always flattering. I'm going to watch the episodes myself, but the one featuring Dan Slott and the "Marvel Method" is apparently just a bizarre piece showcasing someone who is not great at their job and laughing it off? It's also funny that editor Tom Brevoort is in the episode as he's been on record about hating the main Marvel Comics continuity taking place on Earth 616.
I’m gonna have to watch this. Sounds like some neat stuff is covered.

Regarding 616, I believe it’s that most Marvel higher ups hate the term 616. Not sure if that’s what you meant.

Speaking of which, I just read Flashpoint. Amazing story but too short. And speaking of 616, wow does DC have a serious problem with how they treat their universes or what?

Flashpoint launches new 52 which combines DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm. Then they launch Rebirth. And retcon new 52 saying it was Dr Manhattan who wiped out 10 years of legacy years or some ####? How many times can DC reboot their universe? As a reader it is so goddamn confusing. And it has been going on since the 80s.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-22-2020 at 10:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #434
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Brevoort is one of the editorial higher ups who dislikes the term. So it's funny Disney+ is like "We're going to feature comics people in our series called Marvel's 616". Sorry Tom, the ship has sailed on the ubiquity of the term, like it or not.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #435
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Flashpoint launches new 52 which combines DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm. Then they launch Rebirth. And retcon new 52 saying it was Dr Manhattan who wiped out 10 years of legacy years or some ####? How many times can DC reboot their universe? As a reader it is so goddamn confusing. And it has been going on since the 80s.
Now I’m reading New 52 Wonder Woman. Brian Azzarello. The story is easy enough to follow but the myth is so confusing.

Diana wasn’t originally a Greek goddess but now they’ve retconned her to be one. Daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta. Except it’s throwing me for a loop because I keep thinking she’s Artemis (Diana in the Roman pantheon) but she’s not that Diana, she’s a different Diana.

Oh and I also have the Rebirth Wonder Woman, first two volumes by Greg Rucka, and I already know they re-retcon her back to just an Amazonian and undo the whole Greek goddess thing (it was a villainous plot to confuse her, naturally).

I used to think the X-Men, specifically Cyclops/Jean Grey, Madeleine Pryor and Cable, had the most confusing backstory of all time but DC sure is trying to give them a run for their money.

Oh and I bought some Usagi Yojimbo in the comiXology Black Friday sale. Can’t wait. Love that character and series. And 47 Ronin. And Ex Machina vol 1.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-30-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #436
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Reading through some old X-Men comics and came across the first appearance of Alpha Flight. Issues 120 and 121. John Byrne (Calgarian and ACAD grad) had them land their plane in Calgary so he could use it as the backdrop for their fight with the X-Men.

I included the first page because the legendary Claremont spelt Ottawa incorrectly (Ottowa).

Click for larger images:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #437
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, my work gives me unlimited expenses on books that i want to read - what are some good comic series I should look at?

Infinity war, secret wars, what else?

Also open to DC ones.

Thanks!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #438
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Infinity Gauntlet, not Infinity War. They're very different in terms of quality.

Marvels: Beautifully painted story about the origins of the Marvel universe through the eyes of a normal person.

The Age of Apocalypse Omnibuses are great if you enjoy X-Men. There's 4 of them and tell the complete story. The premise, if Prof X died in the past what would the Marvel/X-men world look like in the present.

For DC: Kingdom Come, Batman The Long Halloween, Superman Red Son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #439
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The Ultimates. Anything Loeb/Sale for Marvel or DC. Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday. Batman by Snyder and Capullo. Batman by Miller/Mazzuchelli, and their Daredevil run, specifically Born Again.

I’d also recommend you read anything by Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, Greg Rucka, Brian K Vaughan, Mark Millar. Also Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman. Some might say Grant Morrison but I’ve never been a big fan. His #### is too weird for me. He is a genius though, I have to admit.

I’ve heard great things about Jonathan Hickman’s FF run but I haven’t gotten there yet. I did enjoy his Avengers stuff though. Same with Dan Slott’s Silver Surfer.

Just read Dr Strange The Oath, it was ok, not amazing. I’ve also been reading some DC new 52. WW and Superman/WW. Both were decent but not spectacular.

Oh and I just read Silver Surfer: Requiem. It was great. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-04-2020 at 09:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #440
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Some random recommendations from my journey to read all 500 digital trades I’ve purchased over the years. I’m getting there. About 100 left. Then I’ll move on to the 150 free issues of black panther I got when marvel made them free.

Then someday when I have a permanent home I’ll work on my physical backlog. Notably I have the entire Snyder/Capullo Batman run and almost the entire Ennis punisher max run.

Really enjoying Secret Invasion. Only reading the main series, no tie ins. About half done.

Astro city is phenomenal but currently isn’t available digitally due to rights issues. Soon as it is, I’m buying the rest of the trades, only finished the first one.

Sandman and Swamp Thing were both as good as advertised. I’m only half done Sandman though. I stopped after book 6. I’ll pick up the rest later.

Batgirl Year One and Robin Year One were both excellent. Highly recommended.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Thor god of thunder by Jason Aaron.

I could list many books I didn’t especially enjoy but I’ll only note here the DC “crisis” books. Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis were all a big meh. The former being very different (murder mystery) from the two latter (DC multiverse). Either way, all 3 were not good IMO.

Oh and frank millers ronin. Not for me. He works better when he’s only writing. Like DD and Batman year one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: