Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #4061
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, it was poorly planned name and sign wise.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #4062
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Approaching the the Stoney/MacLeod interchange going NB on MacLeod, there isn't a sign saying you need to be in the right-hand lane to exit to Stoney either WB or EB. I haven't even seen a temporary sign. Maybe one blew over. There is an electronic once you have exited to tell you to get into the left lane to go WB though.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #4063
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

The signage coming EB Stoney trying to get onto NB Macleod is really poorly done...you first have to make a quick right exit and then there is a fork in the road with signage AFTER IT indicating where it will take you. Left is for the overpass to take you to NB Macleod, and right is for SB Macleod towards Okotoks....I hope that's temporary and they address this soon. Luckily I am familiar with the area.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #4064
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
What I'm saying is that here, the inner exit lane is an exit, and per you should therefore be green as I shopped it in post #4047, but it is not. Thus, there is inconsistency in the way dual and single exits are signed.

I think the fundamental issue with the stoney signs is that they are in the wrong spot. Move that sign 100 meters into the page and it is correct. Then make sure that 500-1000 meters before this picture is taken there is a similar sign as you describe (which also seems to be missing).
Old 12-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #4065
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I think the fundamental issue with the stoney signs is that they are in the wrong spot. Move that sign 100 meters into the page and it is correct.
It's a standard that was developed by the US Federal Highways Administration and adopted across Canada, so I'm not sure it's fundamentally wrong.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/high...on-sign-manual
Page 100
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #4066
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few observations...

On the new ring road in the SW, going southbound TTT to turn on Fish Creek BLVD, the exit is #13. Seems a little sketchy to me.

The light at that intersection to turn EB on Fish Creek BLVD is way too short. The light going WB on Fish Creek BLVD is way too long, and all the roads west of there are basically trash. I don't see a lot of cars heading that direction.

Finally, the small white plastic reflectors on the inside of TTT have blue reflectors at the top. Why is that? On the shoulder side they are white reflectors. When you merge off to go through an interchange they are yellow (yellow line painted on the road). I assume they are blue because these are essentially collector lanes with inside lanes being built fifty years from now.

Also, most of the Stoney interchanges have jagged grey mountainous concrete forms under the overpasses as artwork I assume. The ones on TTT have grey concrete lines in the shape of mountain peaks instead. But, they look like someone just painted on grey jagged lines instead, and the further north you go, it looks like they gave up through the middle of the project because they had to go for a lunch break.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #4067
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
A few observations...

On the new ring road in the SW, going southbound TTT to turn on Fish Creek BLVD, the exit is #13. Seems a little sketchy to me.

The light at that intersection to turn EB on Fish Creek BLVD is way too short. The light going WB on Fish Creek BLVD is way too long, and all the roads west of there are basically trash. I don't see a lot of cars heading that direction.
Does the City control the lights coming off Stoney or does the Province (contractor). I have issues with timing on other exits and would like to report but don't know where. 311 won't show the location when I try and select it so not sure how to report to the City.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #4068
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Does the City control the lights coming off Stoney or does the Province (contractor). I have issues with timing on other exits and would like to report but don't know where. 311 won't show the location when I try and select it so not sure how to report to the City.
You probably need to report it to the contractor responsible for maintenance. When there a traffic signal issue on a Deerfoot interchange I found their info here:
https://www.alberta.ca/highway-maintenance.aspx
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #4069
Danijam
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There’s a sign that says, “Tsuut’ina Parkway opening Monday,” just south of Glenmore. Anyone know where that will go?
Danijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #4070
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danijam View Post
There’s a sign that says, “Tsuut’ina Parkway opening Monday,” just south of Glenmore. Anyone know where that will go?
It runs across Tsuut’ina Trail to connect to Grey Eagle Drive:
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #4071
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any timeline for the west side of that (connecting with Westhills Way)?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #4072
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Tsuut’ina Parkway intersecting Tsuut’ina Trail? Why do we insist on such awful naming schemes of things. Is Big Gasoline in on this to try profit off the extra fuel consumption of people taking wrong turns?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #4073
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Is there any timeline for the west side of that (connecting with Westhills Way)?

what do you mean? Westhills Way has been open since this portion of the Ring Road opened.
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #4074
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
what do you mean? Westhills Way has been open since this portion of the Ring Road opened.

Westhills Way is open, but Tsuu Tina Parkway is how you'd get from Tsuu Tina Northbound to Westhills Way, which is only accessible from Glenmore right now.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #4075
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct - I mean the connector - mostly from a pedestrian/cyclist perspective, it will be the best way to get to North Glenmore Park/Weaslehead from anywhere on the hill (or Griffith Woods)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #4076
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Westhills Way is open, but Tsuu Tina Parkway is how you'd get from Tsuu Tina Northbound to Westhills Way, which is only accessible from Glenmore right now.
Thanks, but no. I refuse to acknowledge anyone trying to colloquialize "Tsuu Tina". Its either Stoney, the ring road, or the 201 - but never "Tsuu Tina" in casual conversation (except in the formal "Tsuu Tina Trail" as necessary). Strong arming your way into the most bass-ackwards road naming in provincial history shouldn't be acquiesced to. I refuse to let it become "a thing". I'd sooner go full Ontario and call it "the 201" before I start recognizing the naming difference of a short span of the ring road named out of spite of another band.

Last edited by Ducay; 12-05-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #4077
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any way to get South on Tsu.. the 201 from Westhills way?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #4078
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Is there any way to get South on Tsu.. the 201 from Westhills way?
Don't think so...eventually it would be via TT Parkway, but right now you'd have to double back at 69 St
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #4079
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Tsuut’ina Parkway intersecting Tsuut’ina Trail? Why do we insist on such awful naming schemes of things.
It was originally to be called Strathcona Street. I believe Tsuut'ina is responsible for this change as they want their name on every provincial road built on their land and driver confusion is obviously not something they would care about.

Understandable.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #4080
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting on to 22x from SW Calgary sure is a PITA ATM. Getting routed through Bridlewood as 37th St blocked off. Other route that skirts Tsuu'tina but man, hope your vehicle is a tank, that road is in terrible shape.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote