Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #1681
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Every GM makes a colossal mistake once in a while, the good ones find a way to fix those mistakes.

Treliving signing Brouwer to be a top 6 RW ended up being bad but seemingly not trying very hard to find another is really bad.

He gets a D- for not finding a skilled RW at the deadline.

Not protecting the 1st rounder for Hamonic can't be fixed and could turn out to be career ending.

Jury's out on the Backlund deal, we'll see
What nonsense.

How do you know that Treliving didn't try to acquire a RW? Do you feel he should call you and give you updates on how that's going? Perhaps, just maybe, the players that other GM's want in return are players Treliving doesn't want to give up. As an example is it too far of a reach to think that if Treliving wanted to acquire Evander Kane that the Sabres would have asked for Rasmus Anderson or one of our other D prospects? Maybe the cost to acquire a RW was deemed to be too expensive for what the Flames were willing to pay. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. Or who would you have given up to acquire Vanek (somehow you think this is the guy the Flames should have hung their hat on)? You're deal would have to have beaten Columbus. Let's hear it.....

What difference do you think a skilled RW would have accomplished? It is probably safe to say Treliving knew the team would be without their No.1 center sooner rather than later. He also knew mike smith wasn't going to be 100% & he had probably concluded that this team was unlikely to go on a run to sneak in. Brad Treliving knew more than you did, and in all likelihood made the responsible decisions.

Not protecting the pick. Hindsight is 20/20, but at the end of the day there is a 3% chance it blows up in their face. Further, to get the deal done it is likely the Islanders demanded this. The leafs had offered JVR & their first. It's not as though Treliving paid more than what the market had determined Hamonic's value. A part of the job description for a GM is risk. You're not going to win them all. Fans who take pot shots from the sidelines after the fact with no real insight or first hand knowledge are just blowhards.

Criticizing the Backlund deal, a little soon, no? In typical 'smartest guy in the room' shouldn't you wait for him to get a little older or slow down so you can say 'I told you so' while patting yourself in the back?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #1682
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Dishonest seems harsh, but i will say the gm is greatly overrated. He has been completely ineffective at improving the quality of the team results in his tenure here, has little read on the roster as far as im concerned.
Hilarious. 'Brad Treliving has little read on the roster', HA.

Isn't that kind of like having the garbage man hand out medical advice? You're no GM bud. Whatever it is you do, keep pretending to do that. Stay in your lane.

Rest assured, Brad Treliving has a better handle on the organization than you do.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #1683
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

Isn't that kind of like having the garbage man hand out medical advice? You're no GM bud. Whatever it is you do, keep pretending to do that. Stay in your lane.

Rest assured, Brad Treliving has a better handle on the organization than you do.
OK, what is the point of your post aside from being a complete a-hole? You can disagree with someone without this crap.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #1684
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

70+% of the people on this site knew better than Treliving about Gulutzan needing to be fired in December. Just because we aren't the GM doesn't mean that we're wrong, and even if we are wrong, that doesn't mean that we don't get to voice our opinion.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #1685
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
70+% of the people on this site knew better than Treliving about Gulutzan needing to be fired in December. Just because we aren't the GM doesn't mean that we're wrong, and even if we are wrong, that doesn't mean that we don't get to voice our opinion.
Why does this keep getting brought up by various people? There is no attempt to silence, to restrict what opinions people may have and voice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #1686
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Why does this keep getting brought up by various people? There is no attempt to silence, to restrict what opinions people may have and voice.
You’re right. I don’t know what silencing people would look like, short of banning negative posters but telling people their opinion is like a garbage man handing out medical advice because they are not an NHL GM does not exactly invite discussion either.

I don’t really understand the point of some of that. I am good with arguing with people all you like but can’t say I’m a fan of telling people they are not a good fan because of how they feel.

Luckily the vast majority of folks on here treat each other with respect.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #1687
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hey bud, perhaps you aren't very informed to the nhl and aren't in a position to have and share an opinion. I respect that, but don't project your limitations on me...

A gm that spends high assets on bringing in 2nd pairing dmen rather than prioritize that acquisition cost to injecting more offence in a leagur that is biasing in that direction is an argument i would use to support my opinion.

We can blame the coaching and players for the pp woes, but how about the fact that this entire top 9 forward group lacks any real right handed talent. Next time you are watching a playoff game, count how many right handed shots are available on a playoff team's top pp unit. The angles and opportunities it opens up are clearly a major issue/gap for the flames.

Picking a coach who's system doesn't leverage this team's biggest strength, good skating, puck moving dmen. The lack of quick transition play from this d is wasting the puck moving talent on the back end

No i am not a gm, nor am i a coach, nor am i a player of the nhl. If that means im not in a position to discuss those roles on my favorite team, and form some sort of opinion, well then i would ask why the hell any of us are even on the CP forum???

Sorry but your post is quite hilarious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #1688
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to add. I am 100% ok with you disagreeing eith my opinion, heck ridiculing it with your own points. But to question sharing an opinion itself seems counterintuitive and counterproductive to the concept, heck, the fabric of this forum itself.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #1689
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

How anyone can form an opinion that Treliving is anything less then perfect after 3 years of success that we have had is mind bottling ��

We all clearly know nothing and he is gods gift to the organization
Old 04-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #1690
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If you lottery protect a pick it is still unprotected the next season...can't just protect it forever
that's true...

but having some degree of certainty with where the pick is landing at least provides some security, esp, if its a deep draft or if somehow the lottery actually swings in our favor for once...

Hamonic, as nice as a guy as he is, isn't Hamilton... and in the end, Calgary may well have paid more for him...

anyways, what's done is done... i think BT thought the team was better than it actually was and the Hamonic deal was supposed to 'put us over the top'...

didn't work and now there's going to be hole in organizational depth as a result...
Old 04-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #1691
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon46

Quote:

Multiple things can be true at the same time you know. Like the following

1) BT's best year was his first year as GM

2) As BT has drifted further away from the team that Feaster built, the team has had poorer and poorer results. His greatest accomplishment so far was not tinkering with what Feaster had left him in year one.

3) BT has traded away more first 3 round picks in his tenure than any of his Flames predecessors on a per year basis.

4) The Flames are entering year 7 of the rebuild and there is still work to be done.

5) BT has a better handle on the organization than I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #1692
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Treliving has made some decent deals but he has screwed up more than he has done good things for this team. He has made bad signings in Brouwer and Raymond, he overpaid Stone, he has traded away too many picks and did not lottery protect the 1st given for Hamonic. He totally missed when he hired GG which can be forgiven but then he is hiring a less successful coach who is carbon copy of the guy he just let go with the exception of being a tough coach instead of a players coach. That whole ball got rolling after he fired Hartley who was a proven coach who has had success in the NHL. He totally b.s. the fan base by telling them he was going to do an extensive search for a new head coach who has experience when he already knew exactly who he was going after. He isn't interviewing anyone else, he has his GG clone. I am done with Treliving personally, he has done more damage than good and he seems dishonest, get him outta here.
If you're going to rant, at least be objective about it. Numerous falsifies here.

How do you know who Treliving, or anyone in the Flames organization, talked to about the head coach position? You don't. You have no idea, you're making things up. You don't know what you don't know. Unless of course you work for the Flames, which I suspect is not the case.

Peters resume includes a memorial cup & a world championship. I guess we ignore this? Those mean nothing? 'But Peters hasn't made the playoffs in the NHL' ok his teams have been competing in one of if not the best division in the league, and doing it with 10-15 million less than the rest & poor goaltending. Peters is a GG clone? How? Why? If this is true why did Treliving fire GG? In your mind, how does this make sense? Peters was an assistant under Mike Babcock, why isn't your position that Peters is a Babcock clone?

If you're going to make absurd comments, you should be called out for it. I'm all for peoples opinions, but stating that Treliving is dishonest or a BS'er, you kinda cross a line and lose credibility. If Treliving is a BS'er, what does that make you? You just made 3 or 4 statements that are that are little more than completely made up and show little ability to think beyond the limitations of your own view.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #1693
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're going to rant, at least be objective about it. Numerous falsifies here.

How do you know who Treliving, or anyone in the Flames organization, talked to about the head coach position? You don't. You have no idea, you're making things up. You don't know what you don't know. Unless of course you work for the Flames, which I suspect is not the case.

Peters resume includes a memorial cup & a world championship. I guess we ignore this? Those mean nothing? 'But Peters hasn't made the playoffs in the NHL' ok his teams have been competing in one of if not the best division in the league, and doing it with 10-15 million less than the rest & poor goaltending. Peters is a GG clone? How? Why? If this is true why did Treliving fire GG? In your mind, how does this make sense? Peters was an assistant under Mike Babcock, why isn't your position that Peters is a Babcock clone?

If you're going to make absurd comments, you should be called out for it. I'm all for peoples opinions, but stating that Treliving is dishonest or a BS'er, you kinda cross a line and lose credibility. If Treliving is a BS'er, what does that make you? You just made 3 or 4 statements that are that are little more than completely made up and show little ability to think beyond the limitations of your own view.
Aw are you mad I called you out so you had to post another insulting post? Do us all a favour and step away from the keyboard, we don't need your input on anything if you can't be civil. Take a hike.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #1694
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Aw are you mad I called you out so you had to post another insulting post? Do us all a favour and step away from the keyboard, we don't need your input on anything if you can't be civil. Take a hike.
Civil huh? 'Get him outta here'. Right. Very balanced well thought out opinion you bring to the table after spewing a bunch of nonsense about things you know nothing about.

I'm not the one calling out for people to get fired. Let me guess, you took pleasure in GG getting fired.

Best of all, you are already expressing disappointment over the next coach before it has even been announced that Peters has been hired. He hasn't even spoken to the media once. Do you have even more than a passing knowledge of what Bill Peters brings to the table? Doubt it. Does he deserve a shot? Nope.

Why are you a fan of the Flames?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #1695
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why are you a fan of the Flames?
I grew up a fan my whole life. A better question is why is a Leafs fan on a Flames board and why can't you be civil instead of being rude and personal about things?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #1696
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I grew up a fan my whole life. A better question is why is a Leafs fan on a Flames board and why can't you be civil instead of being rude and personal about things?
You certainly have a lot of negativity towards your life long favourite team.

I'm rather optimistic about this off season and next year. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to think the Flames can take a big step forward with a smart move or two, and I think Treliving is as good as any to make it happen.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #1697
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Multiple things can be true at the same time you know. Like the following

1) BT's best year was his first year as GM

2) As BT has drifted further away from the team that Feaster built, the team has had poorer and poorer results. His greatest accomplishment so far was not tinkering with what Feaster had left him in year one.

3) BT has traded away more first 3 round picks in his tenure than any of his Flames predecessors on a per year basis.

4) The Flames are entering year 7 of the rebuild and there is still work to be done.

5) BT has a better handle on the organization than I do.
1) ok

2) I would argue the organizational depth has improved by a wide margin under Treliving & his cap management has been very strong. This team is well positioned to compete for the next 5-6 years. Jay Feaster tried to sign RoR and was lucky to have not send this organization into into the bottom of the NHL for years. Then again, maybe we would have McDavid due to that near catastrophe.

3) ok. I suppose you take objection to that direction, fair enough. The Hamilton deal looks like a good trade for the Flames. Lazar not so good, but it's not out of the question Lazar becomes a good bottom 6 player. No one can say just yet whether this will work out or not, same can be said for Hamonic.

4) they're not in a rebuild. Just because they fell short of expectations and the playoffs doesn't mean they are in a rebuild. Good teams miss the playoffs every single year. Progression is often not a straight line.

5) yes. I'm sure Brad Treliving has a plan about what he wants to accomplish this offseason to get this team back to the playoffs and into contention.

Last edited by TOfan; 04-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #1698
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trelivings worst mistakes have been on goaltending. Hiller, Elliot, Johnson, Lack, Smith smell a lot like Wreggett, Tabarracci, Fuhr.

Get a goalie Treliving. Play hockey in May. Anything else is a fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #1699
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Trelivings worst mistakes have been on goaltending. Hiller, Elliot, Johnson, Lack, Smith smell a lot like Wreggett, Tabarracci, Fuhr.

Get a goalie Treliving. Play hockey in May. Anything else is a fail.
Smith! dude give your head a shake...guy was the teams best player up until his injury
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #1700
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Smith! dude give your head a shake...guy was the teams best player up until his injury
And then he was terrible after he had recovered from his injury.

I fall into the camp who thinks that while smith is good he’s not great.

He’s this generations Curtis Joseph. Not as good as Brodeur or Roy or Hasek but still top 12 in the league

To me he’s a liability and if someone like holtby is available this offseason you need to do everything you can to bring him in
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread