Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #361
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Man, who hurt you recently? You okay?
He's right though. It's a lot to expect Valimaki to come in after not playing a lot of hockey over the past two years and fix the Flames defensive woes or even be an improvement over Kylington. He's not a finished product himself.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #362
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Valimaki comes back this year he should be starting in the AHL
bax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #363
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Absolutely. Finish the year in the AHL, join the team for the playoffs, take the 5/6D role when called upon.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #364
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think Valimaki should be playing in the NHL this season. As I understand it, with ACL injuries it is best to give as much time as possible for recovery. With the less demanding schedule and less pressure of the AHL I think it would be best if he continued rehabbing the knee there to determine if it is back to 100%.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #365
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's right though. It's a lot to expect Valimaki to come in after not playing a lot of hockey over the past two years and fix the Flames defensive woes or even be an improvement over Kylington. He's not a finished product himself.
Maybe, but when someone is trying to stomp out hope in every thread you have to wonder!

Valimaki showed a lot of promise the last two years, even in limited time. I think an AHL stint would be good, but if he puts up a ~ppg again and is clearly the best defender down there you'd be tempted to pop him right back in.

My own preference has shifted back to selling a bit, so I would be in favor of trying to ride out the whole season with him not playing to avoid expansion draft implications. But if we are still contending at the deadline I expect ownership will disagree.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #366
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m comfortable letting coaches and doctors make this decision. If he plays, it was the right call. If he doesn’t, it was the right call.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #367
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Yeah, I don't think Valimaki should be playing in the NHL this season. As I understand it, with ACL injuries it is best to give as much time as possible for recovery. With the less demanding schedule and less pressure of the AHL I think it would be best if he continued rehabbing the knee there to determine if it is back to 100%.
The AHL is arguably a more demanding schedule. More games concentrated onto the weekends with less days off inbetween.

He’ll do an AHL stint but it’s highly likely Valimaki plays in the NHL this season imo
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #368
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another consideration, from Freeway via CapFriendly. No doubt he plays in the playoffs should the Flames make it. If they miss, though, this comes into play potentially.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1223327242060623872

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote