Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #261
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I don't f'n know dude. Some people are just like that, it's not limited to sports or hockey players. Everyone grew up with that one kid in class that was always hurting himself, falling down, patch on his eye, hurt himself on the school field trip, broke their leg skiing. Some people just have crap luck or make dumb decisions.
Crap luck, exactly.

We aren’t talking about an uncoordinated office worker... we’re discussing professional athletes at the highest level. I reject the idea that some of them are more prone than others to have multiple unrelated injuries playing a contact, high speed, sport.

Recurring injuries are a concern. A guy hurting his shoulder and then a year later tearing is ACL is not more prone to injury than his counterparts. Nor would he be if he took a slap shot off the face next season.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #262
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
He's not injury prone. Two injuries in a row does not make someone injury prone - just unlucky. Especially at his age.

My benchmark is four major injuries in a row. Then you're talking about injury prone.
That's a hell of a benchmark. What constitutes "major" and "in a row"?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #263
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's a hell of a benchmark. What constitutes "major" and "in a row"?
Just driving home the point that “injury prone” isn’t a thing.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #264
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't consider "flu" or "sprained pinky toe" as major. It would take a lot. Injury prone should not be thrown around lightly especially for a guy who hasn't even had one full season yet.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #265
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at a guy like Backlund who was unfortunate to endure injuries early in his career and it gives me great hope Valimaki can overcome these setbacks.

Backlund had 4 significant injuries throughout his first 5 full pro years and has since played 82,81,82,77 games the last 4 years.

2011 - 14 games (Finger)
2012 - 26 games (Shoulder)
2013 - 14 games (Knee)
2015 - 29 games (Abdomen)

Way too early to say Valimaki will be an injury plague type player at this point though it is frustrating considering how important he is to the future of this club so I get why people are nervous.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #266
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't consider "flu" or "sprained pinky toe" as major. It would take a lot. Injury prone should not be thrown around lightly especially for a guy who hasn't even had one full season yet.
Sorry, but I found the “let’s wait until he actually plays a full season before we call him injury prone” line to be unintentionally hilarious
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #267
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I wonder about Dean Kukan in Columbus. Older "prospect" who hasn't been given a ton of time on the Jackets' blueline because of their depth but has played very well for their affiliate in Cleveland. Columbus needs forwards and can take on salary, and I think Kukan-for-Frolik could be a trade that helps to ease logjams on both sides.

Unless Kukan plays 36 games this season, he's slated to become a Group 6 free agent. With Werenski's new deal pending, too, he'd likely get claimed on waivers, too. An interesting trade proposition.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #268
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't f'n know dude. Some people are just like that, it's not limited to sports or hockey players. Everyone grew up with that one kid in class that was always hurting himself, falling down, patch on his eye, hurt himself on the school field trip, broke their leg skiing. Some people just have crap luck or make dumb decisions.
Random distribution. That is not the same thing as injury prone.

If I hit pocket aces 17 hands in a row, it is a random event - it doesn't make me a good poker player. Nor does it make me more likely to hit pocket aces in the future.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #269
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a terrible analogy.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #270
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

While I agree whatever threshold that would need to be met to be “injury prone” has not been met by Valimaki, some of you are being silly. Injury-prone literally just means “frequently injured.” It’s not about a recurring injury to one spot. It’s not about major injuries. It does not mean a player is more likely to be injured in the future. It’s simply just “frequently injured.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #271
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While I agree whatever threshold that would need to be met to be “injury prone” has not been met by Valimaki, some of you are being silly. ”
But who is being silly?

No one was even claiming Valimaki was injury prone, Enoch Root and Scoopy took the word concern and ran with it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #272
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I look at a guy like Backlund who was unfortunate to endure injuries early in his career and it gives me great hope Valimaki can overcome these setbacks.

Backlund had 4 significant injuries throughout his first 5 full pro years and has since played 82,81,82,77 games the last 4 years.

2011 - 14 games (Finger)
2012 - 26 games (Shoulder)
2013 - 14 games (Knee)
2015 - 29 games (Abdomen)

Way too early to say Valimaki will be an injury plague type player at this point though it is frustrating considering how important he is to the future of this club so I get why people are nervous.
I am also happy he played through what looked like a few seasons where he was missing huge gaps of games due to injury.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #273
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a terrible analogy.
No, it isn't a terrible analogy. The point was regarding random distribution and that many people assume that random means it will be distributed relatively evenly. Which is not necessarily the case (and not likely the case). In fact, random distributions are often replaced with synthetic, 'smoothed-out' distributions, just to make people, and their irrational impressions, more comfortable.

Quote:
While I agree whatever threshold that would need to be met to be “injury prone” has not been met by Valimaki, some of you are being silly. Injury-prone literally just means “frequently injured.” It’s not about a recurring injury to one spot. It’s not about major injuries. It does not mean a player is more likely to be injured in the future. It’s simply just “frequently injured.”
It may literally mean that, but it also means, and many people interpret it as meaning, that someone is more likely to be injured - that they are predisposed to experience more injuries. It is to that view that I am commenting. Not 'silly' at all.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #274
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It may literally mean that, but it also means, and many people interpret it as meaning, that someone is more likely to be injured - that they are predisposed to experience more injuries. It is to that view that I am commenting. Not 'silly' at all.
No it doesn’t. Are you one of those people who argues that literally means literally, but ALSO means figuratively?

You monster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #275
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No it doesn’t. Are you one of those people who argues that literally means literally, but ALSO means figuratively?

You monster!
lol

I am really getting tired of this discussion. The thread is full - literally - of people suggesting, or implying, that Valimaki is somehow more likely to get injured.

Whether you accept that as a meaning of 'injury prone', I don't really care. What matters here is that many people clearly do. And I was addressing that.

Is there anything more interesting to talk about?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #276
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
lol

I am really getting tired of this discussion. The thread is full - literally - of people suggesting, or implying, that Valimaki is somehow more likely to get injured.

Whether you accept that as a meaning of 'injury prone', I don't really care. What matters here is that many people clearly do. And I was addressing that.

Is there anything more interesting to talk about?
And I was correcting everyone who was using it incorrectly. Not that I had any interest in singling you or anyone out originally, but correcting each other with incorrect definitions of injury-prone just looked silly. “He’s injury prone! Actually it has to be recurring. Actually it means more likely. Actually it’s major injuries. Actually it doesn’t exist.”

Actually it’s none of those things. Just... frequent injuries. That’s all.

And no, there’s nothing more interesting to talk about. It’s August 13, we’re pretty much at peak “burn it to the ground” phase. It’ll allllll get better soon... maybe.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #277
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should try and get Kulak back - maybe we could offer Frolik for him.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #278
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We should try and get Kulak back - maybe we could offer Frolik for him.
Not sure if serious, but it would be a perfect trade!
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #279
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
And I was correcting everyone who was using it incorrectly. Not that I had any interest in singling you or anyone out originally, but correcting each other with incorrect definitions of injury-prone just looked silly. “He’s injury prone! Actually it has to be recurring. Actually it means more likely. Actually it’s major injuries. Actually it doesn’t exist.”

Actually it’s none of those things. Just... frequent injuries. That’s all.

And no, there’s nothing more interesting to talk about. It’s August 13, we’re pretty much at peak “burn it to the ground” phase. It’ll allllll get better soon... maybe.
Dude....

The word “prone” is UNRELATED to the word “frequent”.

Prone to injury means likely to happen. Frequency has nothing to do with future susceptibility.

It’s a language peeve I’m having with this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #280
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Another example of how the East media (Toronto guy) has literally no clue about the state of the NHL teams anywhere else:
So, Eklund even put the flames on the Gardiner watch list...

On Jake Gardiner...

Quote:
I am hearing 5 teams, but two that are really standing out....Florida (e3) and Calgary (e4)....also still involved in this...Colorado, Montreal, and NJ...

It sounds like Gardiner is waiting for a team to make a move and clear some cap space...a source texted me: "There are offers from at least three teams, but the most significant is the team he is waiting to clear space...And that team I believe is Florida..."
Link:
https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Y...Buzz1/1/100935
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote