Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #281
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I tried a prime rib roast tonight for my mom's birthday.

I followed the chefsteps herb crusted prime rib recipe.

Preseared the roast in a pan then put it in the bag while the anova was preheating to 136 degrees. Once the water reached temperature, I put in the roast for 6 hours.
Spoiler!

Then applied rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper rub and popped it in the oven at 485degrees for 15 minutes to create the crust.
Spoiler!

After 15 minutes, the crust was crisped. I would've liked to sear it a bit better. Maybe if I had dried the roast off a bit better before applying the rub.
Spoiler!

Results:
Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by me_dennis; 01-03-2017 at 04:25 PM.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #282
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I finally tried veggies (well, green beans) and it was pretty amazing. My wife said they were expertly done, but that I may have "over-buttered" them. She's adorable when she makes up nonsense.

The only real issue I had was that getting them to sink was a major pain. I'm assuming the fact that a green bean has a hollow centre was part (or all) of the problem. Ended up placing a metal meat mallet on the bag to weigh it down. Also, they certainly don't come out brilliantly coloured. I've read that quick 30 second boil followed by an ice bath before sous vide will help with that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #283
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I finally tried veggies (well, green beans) and it was pretty amazing. My wife said they were expertly done, but that I may have "over-buttered" them. She's adorable when she makes up nonsense.

The only real issue I had was that getting them to sink was a major pain. I'm assuming the fact that a green bean has a hollow centre was part (or all) of the problem. Ended up placing a metal meat mallet on the bag to weigh it down. Also, they certainly don't come out brilliantly coloured. I've read that quick 30 second boil followed by an ice bath before sous vide will help with that.

I've seen recommendations to help sink the bag being putting a knife in there.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #284
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Or a spoon in case the knife punctures the bag.

On another note, why do some here sear prior to cooking? It's cooked in a bag, so there's little chance of flavor loss to begin with. Only makes sense to sear at the end. Besides, who likes a soggy sear?
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #285
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Marbles are the best, imo
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #286
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Or a spoon in case the knife punctures the bag.

On another note, why do some here sear prior to cooking? It's cooked in a bag, so there's little chance of flavor loss to begin with. Only makes sense to sear at the end. Besides, who likes a soggy sear?
With Raw meat you get a more uniform dear than with cooked meet. In anything I've read that suggests it you do it after as to finish it and set out the crust. The malliard reaction that makes the brown bits doesn't care when you do it but you still need to dry out the surface so it doesn't feel slimy. I personally don't sear before as I haven't found it to be a problem to get a good sear after with a torch or pan.

As an aside searing doesn't lock in flavour or prevent flavour loss.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #287
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Carrots were really good when I did then. Salt pepper a little suger and butter. Quick pan fry after. 185 for 40 minutes.

Chicken is great but I think I prefer a grilled steak. Sous vided streak just seems to lack flavor. I could be doing something wrong and maybe not finishing it in a pan enough but it just tastes better off the grill. It does come out perfectly coooked thou.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #288
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Bacon sous-vided for 10 hours at 147 degress then crisped up in the pan for a minute or two is glorious.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #289
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Carrots were really good when I did then. Salt pepper a little suger and butter. Quick pan fry after. 185 for 40 minutes.

Chicken is great but I think I prefer a grilled steak. Sous vided streak just seems to lack flavor. I could be doing something wrong and maybe not finishing it in a pan enough but it just tastes better off the grill. It does come out perfectly coooked thou.
I tried a new method.

1. Sous vide the steak as desired, likely BELOW the suggested temps.
2. Use only basic seasoning like a salt and pepper if desired. (Something not easily "washed off")
3. Remove steak and toss on grill/hot pan. Add flavorings at this point or just slightly before (salt rub. BBQ sauce etc.)

I tried this and I get excellent steak. I got wonky results when putting all the flavorings with the steak into the bag.

I'm not super sure why... but I don't think a sous vided steak completely lacks flavor. IMO there's two things I personally experienced.
1. A weird "sour?" flavor sits with the meat. Something slightly rancid in taste almost. I'm guessing the sous vide was killing bacteria, but a proper grill or pan cooking gets rid of that flavor.
2. Stewing in its own juices means the meats own juices washes off all the flavoring when removed from the bag. This meant the steak was slightly bland, letting other flavors stick out.

I can't guarantee this will resolve your issue, but I personally didn't enjoy 99% sous vide steak. Doing 90% and finishing off the remainder 10% gave me the best of both worlds IMO. You still get a great steak that has sous vide properties, but also the grilling properties that seem to be lacking in a sous vide steak.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #290
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I use butter knives because I'm generally not using them like a spoon or fork which I on occasion use while prepping foods. Since they're more straight than spoons so I perceive they sink more uniformly (probably false). I drop them in "blade" side up hilt first so I am at no risk or concern of puncturing the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Marbles are the best, imo
Marbles works I guess. Personally it seems weird and risky to have them on hand in a kitchen though. I think if I went that route, I'd rather grab some nice smooth stones from the bow river or Rockies, scrub them, toss them into the dishwasher for good measure. Less likely to go rogue and trip someone up in a kitchen. But that's because I and the wife are klutzes at times. So we'd have marbles rolling all over the place every little once in a while if we did that.

I'm guessing you could literally use anything denser than water that isn't ruined by liquids. Stone coasters, plates, misc cutlery, beer bottles etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #291
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly, I just clip a second big paper clip onto the bottom of the bag and that's usually enough weight. If it's not, I slide a spoon through the clip wings and that does it. Saves me putting the metal in with the meat, which bothers me for no particularly scientifically-supported reason.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #292
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Bacon sous-vided for 10 hours at 147 degress then crisped up in the pan for a minute or two is glorious.
I tried this, and didn't find it worth the extra effort.

It could be because I used regular Maple Leaf bacon, and not the extra thick stuff.

Breakfast sausages, however, were amazing. Doesn't dry out like it would just pan frying it.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #293
kermitology

Exp:

Bacon put in a cold oven set to 425, timer set to 18 minutes. Cooked perfectly, no fuss, no muss.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #294
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Bacon put in a cold oven set to 425, timer set to 18 minutes. Cooked perfectly, no fuss, no muss.
Simpler, jack it in the microwave for a couple minutes.

Sous vide is going to provide some awesome food, but also is going to be a wasted effort for lots of things.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #295
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Simpler, jack it in the microwave for a couple minutes.

Sous vide is going to provide some awesome food, but also is going to be a wasted effort for lots of things.

Gross.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #296
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brushed with Sriracha and rolled in brown sugar.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #297
kermitology

Exp:

Made a pork tenderloin 1.5 hour bath at 140F

Finished it in cast iron with a butter and herb glaze.

This was phenomenal.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #298
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Pork tenderloin might be my favorite meat of all time, let alone Sous Vide! It's just incredible, easy to prepare and probably 1/4 of beef. I cook that fairly regularly, as its great. Yours looks like it turned out really well!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #299
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^Pork tenderloin might be my favorite meat of all time, let alone Sous Vide! It's just incredible, easy to prepare and probably 1/4 of beef. I cook that fairly regularly, as its great. Yours looks like it turned out really well!

I do a rib-less ribs with tenderloin. I but the tenderloin in half and then butterfly the two halves, rub with a sweet pork rub from Silk Road, pan sear both, slice and brush with barbecue sauce and put it in the oven for a few minutes to caramelize the sauce. So good.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #300
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do a rib-less ribs with tenderloin. I but the tenderloin in half and then butterfly the two halves, rub with a sweet pork rub from Silk Road, pan sear both, slice and brush with barbecue sauce and put it in the oven for a few minutes to caramelize the sauce. So good.
Come on man, don't blow my Memphis Rub spot, I don't need everyone using it.

(Try it without the BBQ sauce but with apple cider vinegar)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote