Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Netflix Canada Discussion

Good news for you guys, although a bit late.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/n...ada-this-fall/

http://twitter.com/netflix/status/18907543256
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Zip.ca is already here.

I have no intention of changing from Zip to Netflix unless Netflix becomes available on my 360.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^Interesting. I've used Zip (for about 4 years) simply because Netflix isn't available in Canada.

Zip has been OK as an alternative, but I can't see how Zip could be considered on par with Netflix. Zip's access to titles (specifically wait times) has always been a problem, something Netflix is not immune to, but certainly much better with. Zip doesn't offer any kind of quality streaming option, something Netflix continues to expand on. And considering that over about four years my Zip plan has gone from $12.95 up to $24.95......there's PLENTY of room to compete on price.

I suspect that Zip will be crushed within a couple of years.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is awesome! Been waiting for a quality HD streaming services for ages!

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

omg omg omg!!!! I am so excited!!! See ya shaw movie package hello cheap netflix to my ps3's!!!!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that Netfilx is bringing streaming only to Canada, so you won't be able to use Netflix as an alternative to Zip for getting DVDs in the mail.

That being said, unless Zip gets on board with a competing streaming service, they could be dead in the water. In a few years, the idea of actually having a physical disc delivered to you in the mail will seem downright awkward because most TVs, consoles, BluRay players, etc. will be able to stream these things right to your living room.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how exactly does Netflix streaming work? I am trying to look on their website, but everything I click on redirects me to the Canadian sign up page.

Can I watch any movie or TV show that is on their service instantly? Or do titles need to become available to me? What hardware do you need to use this?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
^^Interesting. I've used Zip (for about 4 years) simply because Netflix isn't available in Canada.

Zip has been OK as an alternative, but I can't see how Zip could be considered on par with Netflix. Zip's access to titles (specifically wait times) has always been a problem, something Netflix is not immune to, but certainly much better with. Zip doesn't offer any kind of quality streaming option, something Netflix continues to expand on. And considering that over about four years my Zip plan has gone from $12.95 up to $24.95......there's PLENTY of room to compete on price.

I suspect that Zip will be crushed within a couple of years.
I acknowledge that Zip has definitely got their wires crossed when it comes to sending DVD's high up on someone's Ziplist. This next title they're sending me is 9th on my list. They couldn't get me one of the 8 above it? I'm disappointed, to say the least. But given there are no competitors that can do better -- yet -- what else am I to do, eh?

Me, I only pay for the basic zip service. $8.95 a month. I would pay more, but my Ziplist has less than 12 titles in it right now, and I'm content to let that run its course. One of these days I'll have to add more titles to it.

A thought just also occured to me regarding Netflix and their streaming service. I like Zip's service now. There's just something uniquely beneficial to receiving a physical DVD from a rental service such as Zip or Netflix that just can't be beat by streaming video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang

Keep in mind that Netfilx is bringing streaming only to Canada, so you won't be able to use Netflix as an alternative to Zip for getting DVDs in the mail.

That being said, unless Zip gets on board with a competing streaming service, they could be dead in the water. In a few years, the idea of actually having a physical disc delivered to you in the mail will seem downright awkward because most TVs, consoles, BluRay players, etc. will be able to stream these things right to your living room.
I dunno... the major benefit of a physical media kinda outweighs the convenience of a streamed video. Even if I do have to eventually return it.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 07-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is great news.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a link to a 1.5 year-old article on Netflix devices. Considering we are a few years behind here in Canada, it should be just about right.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10249727-1.html

I am a PS3 owner, so that's how I'll be doing Netflix when it becomes available. I would imagine that Netflix will be available on similar devices here as the delays in getting the service here we due more to the legal/distribution models than the hardware.

Basically it looks like all of the 3 main, current console systems are compatible, as well as a growing number of other devices.

I find it interesting that the PS3 movie store just opened in Canada (finally) a couple of weeks ago, and now Netflix announces that they are entering the market. Let's keep it coming with Hulu next. Wishful thinking...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone know the resolution of the stream being sent (1080p, 1080i, or is it less than HD altogether)?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
So how exactly does Netflix streaming work? I am trying to look on their website, but everything I click on redirects me to the Canadian sign up page.

Can I watch any movie or TV show that is on their service instantly? Or do titles need to become available to me? What hardware do you need to use this?
Netflix apparently has one of the largest libraries for streaming movies, but it isn't their entire library.

You need Netflix software to view Netflix media. Almost all media center software packages have Netflix support, and lots of TVs and Blu-Ray players have it built in as well (I think all Samsung Blu-Ray players, for example, have Netflix support). XBox 360, Wii, PS3 all can use Netflix. There's an iPhone/iPad app, a Netflix set-top box, etc. etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
does anyone know the resolution of the stream being sent (1080p, 1080i, or is it less than HD altogether)?
I believe it caps out at 720p

Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I believe it caps out at 720p
booo......

i guess even if htey offerend 1080p/i streams, frigin rogers (or other garbage ISPs) will have severe band width caps, so that people are forced to use their PPV offerings instead
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
I dunno... the major benefit of a physical media kinda outweighs the convenience of a streamed video. Even if I do have to eventually return it.
Honest question - I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but what are the benefits of having physical media mailed to you instead of streaming? If you can have the same movie streamed instantly as opposed to waiting for it to become available, sending it back, etc., I simply don't see why you wouldn't want to press a button and watch it right away. I can understand that sometimes you might want to own a certain movie and have it on your shelf, but for renting - I have no problem streaming it and then having it disappear into the ether.

I'm not saying that there aren't advantages to physical media at this point in time. As I understand it, the library size for physical media at Netflix (and probably Zip too) is bigger than what Netflix will be streaming. And if you're a big HD buff, 1080 on a Blu-Ray will be preferable to 720 streaming.

I see all of those things evolving over time to the point where you can stream pretty much any movie you want in full 1080 HD. That would be awesome, indeed.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 07-19-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Doesn't really matter, the resolution is only one factor, and a small one. The bitrate they can stream out is far lower than actual HD bitrates, so the quality isn't anywhere near actual HD quality.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Honest question - I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but what are the benefits of having physical media mailed to you instead of streaming? If you can have the same movie streamed instantly as opposed to waiting for it to become available, sending it back, etc., I simply don't see why you wouldn't want to press a button and watch it right away. I can understand that sometimes you might want to own a certain movie and have it on your shelf, but for renting - I have no problem streaming it and then having it disappear into the ether.

I'm not saying that there aren't advantages to physical media at this point in time. As I understand it, the library size for physical media at Netflix (and probably Zip too) is bigger than what Netflix will be streaming. And if you're a big HD buff, 1080 on a Blu-Ray will be preferable to 720 streaming.
This.

I'm as excited as anyone to get Netflix in Canada, but like any other streaming services, there are some serious sacrifices in video/audio quality that make streaming a reality for the average user's connection.

I'm fine with the 720p limit. All other things equal, 1080p requires double the bandwidth of 720p. A good 720p stream will look much, much better than a compressed, dithered 1080p stream. As it is, all streaming services I'm aware of compress the crap out of their 720p streams, I can only imagine how awful 1080p would look.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This.

I'm as excited as anyone to get Netflix in Canada, but like any other streaming services, there are some serious sacrifices in video/audio quality that make streaming a reality for the average user's connection.

I'm fine with the 720p limit. All other things equal, 1080p requires double the bandwidth of 720p. A good 720p stream will look much, much better than a compressed, dithered 1080p stream. As it is, all streaming services I'm aware of compress the crap out of their 720p streams, I can only imagine how awful 1080p would look.
Same with audio, I don't think they support surround sound yet. Then there's the special features on the discs.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Doesn't really matter, the resolution is only one factor, and a small one. The bitrate they can stream out is far lower than actual HD bitrates, so the quality isn't anywhere near actual HD quality.
I guess this means no 3D, crap.
Youtube can stream 1080p for free, I don't see why Netflix can't do it when we pay money.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This.

Yea with audio, I don't think they support surround sound yet. Then there's the special features on the discs.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote