Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #21
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a dyed in the woll moral relativist. I actually find the concept of moral absolutism morally repugenent, as someone who is unwilling to consider circumstances when make decisions is someone who is unwilling to think.

Peurly for a value of life prospective, animals died to produce the meat in my freezer, many many insects probably dies producing the lumber to build my house. The grain to provide the flour in my pantry is likely linked to a minor gopher genocide. The chemicals related to the production of all the vinyl products in my house may have on net taken a couple minutes off several peoples lives equating to a real human toll. Simplifying a questions to "do you value human life more than objects" reduces the fact that the two things a inextricably linked.

All of that to say, LET THE ######ER DIE!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

everyone posting in this thread should watch The Good Place if they haven’t yet.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #23
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
If the homeowner does nothing, the bomber will be killed and their house will be spared.
It this a trick? Why would I give a second thought to the life of some psychopath attempting to blow up my house? I think there is some additional context missing here, like if they don’t blow up the house someone will murder their family?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #25
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
It this a trick? Why would I give a second thought to the life of some psychopath attempting to blow up my house? I think there is some additional context missing here, like if they don’t blow up the house someone will murder their family?
No, the context is correct. I would let the house burn rather than sentence someone to death for it. It's just a house.

Would your answer change if it was a stranger's house?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #26
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Why is nobody asking why some guy is trying to bomb my house and some other guy is trying to kill him? Am I Bill Hader's character from Barry?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #27
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default People vs. Property an ethical dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
No, the context is correct. I would let the house burn rather than sentence someone to death for it. It's just a house.

Would your answer change if it was a stranger's house?

So random psycho looking to blow things up? Don’t care who’s house it is. This is a person that takes joy in destruction, terror and misery. No place for them.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
So random psycho looking to blow things up? Don’t care who’s house it is. This is a person that takes joy in destruction, terror and misery. No place for them.
Jail is a good place for them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #29
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Too much focus on the psycho with the bomb. Who's this psycho going about the neighborhood sniping people?

I'd yell "Don't shoot" and then duck and cover.

But since I live in Vancouver, I don't have a house, so it's all academic.

And my landlord's problem.
flylock shox is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #30
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Jail is a good place for them.

Wasn’t an option in this scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #31
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn’t an option in this scenario.
Because it follows an act. The discussion was around the act itself.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #32
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know you said there is no right answer but I always seem to solve all the world problems when I get to the intelligent part of the bottle. I just cant ever remember what I solved.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #33
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default People vs. Property an ethical dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Too much focus on the psycho with the bomb. Who's this psycho going about the neighborhood sniping people?.

I assumed we live in Texas and I wasn’t carrying for some reason but my neighbours all had sniper nests on their roofs
Old 08-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #34
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Classic utilatarianism though doesnt care about property beyond its ability to cause 'happiness' to the population, the classic utilatrian arguement would be 'does saving the building cause more happiness than keeping the bomber alive?' for instance a hospital might be worth killing the bomber for where as if the building was a military base not only should you not kill the bomber you should actively help him

Then I guess you could also be arguing if the bomber was about to throw the bomb, not at a house, but a cultural landmark. Is the bomber's life worth the Eiffel Tower or the Great Pyramids or even an art gallery?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #35
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If you could go back in time knowing what you do would you kill baby Hitler? Consider that his death could mean that you would never be born, but ignore for this exercise the fact that if you were never born you wouldn’t be able to go back in time to kill Hitler.

I’d do it.
Id make him an A+ Art student. The end. /s
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #36
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, so far I think there has been some productive discussion.

Some comments bring in consideration of intent, utility, and other possible consequences, beyind the destruction of the house. All good adds to the scenario.

In general, I'd say that one unifying point to thoughts like these is that it isn't necessarily as simple as deciding that one of people or property is always more morally valuable than the other. Context (like intent, utility, and other possible consequences) weigh in. In the quote below, I take the word "psychopath" to be a reference to intent. IE Why would someone spare the bomber if the bomber is just blowing up the house for no good reason?

Quote:
Maybe the discussion can continue with some intent ascribed to the bomber:

In one scenario let's say the bomber is being forced to blow up the house, in order to save his own house so that the bombers' family isn't forced into living on the street.

In another scenario, let's say the bomber just hates the design of the house, and wants it gone, and chosen a time to bomb it, when they know no one will get hurt.

Does either intent change what's right?

What pushes the moral scales one way or the other?
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, the preservation of life is your absolute maximal value? Preserve life in all cases?

Or is it just in this situation, where the value of the life is being compared to the value of the house? If it's the latter, what is it about the life that makes it more valuable than the house? I.e., what is the criteria that makes one thing more valuable than another (whether it be a house, a human life, a non-human life, or something else entirely)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Classic utilatarianism though doesnt care about property beyond its ability to cause 'happiness' to the population, the classic utilatrian arguement would be 'does saving the building cause more happiness than keeping the bomber alive?'
I'm not sure if you're saying that this is your answer. If it is, my question is what you mean by causing increased happiness for the population. Do you mean that you want everyone to be happier on average?

Or do you mean we should determine what will increase the total happiness in the world - that is to say, you'd conclude that a situation with 5 billion people on earth who are only happy 20% of the time is better than a situation with 1 billion people on earth who are happy 90% of the time?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-29-2020 at 07:09 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #38
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why do we even care about the bomber's life? If it were my house, I would let the ####er die.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #39
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Why do we even care about the bomber's life? If it were my house, I would let the ####er die.
Because the bomber is your son and it’s my Vacant house that’s being threatened.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #40
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's axiomatic that people put a lower value on human lives that are either more geographically distant, socially distant, or even culturally distant.

We then reverse engineer our moral imperatives to accommodate this natural instinct.

I see no evidence to suggest that this mentality is modifiable, so discussing such moral dilemmas is somewhat pointless.

Last edited by BoLevi; 08-29-2020 at 09:28 PM.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote