Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #7101
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Burke’s comments today about the effect of taxes is pretty key for the Hall/Markstrom discussions. Flames will have to overpay to make the net pay even out.
I wonder how much of an impact the reality of covid-19 in Canada vs the US will have for UFAs with many suitors.

Might be another advantage for Calgary when it comes to Hall...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #7102
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you think the atmosphere is for inter-division trades? The LA Kings match up better than anyone in the league for a Hanifin trade, if indeed Hanifin is available. Their LD depth right now is Ben Hutton, Mikey Anderson and Kurtis McDermid. There is one good prospect on the way. They are in the market.

On the other side of that, their centre depth after Kopitar is all rookies and prospects of a really high calibre.

Alex Turcotte, Gabriel Vilardi, Akil Thomas, Tyler Madden, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Rasmus Kupari, Aiden Dudas, Nikolai Prokhorkin, Drake Rymsha, Mike Amadio, Blake Lizotte and the #2 pick incoming.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #7103
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Alan Walsh blew Burkies statements put of the water afterwards. Saying Canada has many loopholes to stickha due around taxes.
Yeah, not sure if posted yet but here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307480088800182272

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307481656027045888

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307483521573765120
Old 09-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #7104
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Burke’s comments today about the effect of taxes is pretty key for the Hall/Markstrom discussions. Flames will have to overpay to make the net pay even out.
for those seeking a resource
https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

Here are the tax rates from that site sorted by percentage rather than alphabetically.

Dallas Stars 31.61
Florida Panthers 31.61
Nashville Predators 31.61
Tampa Bay Lightning 31.61
Vegas Golden Knights 31.61
Arizona Coyotes 35.98
Colorado Avalanche 36.24
Chicago Blackhawks 36.56
Boston Bruins 36.66
Carolina Hurricanes 36.96
Washington Capitals - MD 37.11
Washington Capitals - VA 37.32
Pittsburgh Penguins 37.68
Detroit Red Wings 38.26
New Jersey Devils 38.26
Buffalo Sabres 38.29
Philadelphia Flyers 38.56
Saint Louis Blues 38.58
Columbus Blue Jackets 38.71
Washington Capitals - DC 39.98
Minnesota Wild 40.78
Anaheim Ducks 41.58
Los Angeles Kings 41.58
San Jose Sharks 41.58
New York Islanders 42.15
New York Rangers 42.15
Calgary Flames 42.78
Edmonton Oilers 42.78
Vancouver Canucks 44.56
Winnipeg Jets 46.17
Ottawa Senators 47.71
Toronto Maple Leafs 47.71
Montreal Canadiens 49.49

Another thing to note, my understanding is this is a remedial view of the taxes too because the taxes are paid based on where the money is earned, meaning they pay taxes in both the US and Canada based on what percentage is made in each market. So while Tampa has a low tax number, they also play a lot of divisional games in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal and pay a higher tax rate for those games. So Dallas and Nashville players end up having to pay less in taxes than those in Florida and Tampa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #7105
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I loathe Walsh, but that is information I have never heard before and is very very informative
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #7106
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I loathe Walsh, but that is information I have never heard before and is very very informative
Makes me want to find a new accountant.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #7107
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
for those seeking a resource
https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

Here are the tax rates from that site sorted by percentage rather than alphabetically.

Dallas Stars 31.61
Florida Panthers 31.61
Nashville Predators 31.61
Tampa Bay Lightning 31.61
Vegas Golden Knights 31.61
Arizona Coyotes 35.98
Colorado Avalanche 36.24
Chicago Blackhawks 36.56
Boston Bruins 36.66
Carolina Hurricanes 36.96
Washington Capitals - MD 37.11
Washington Capitals - VA 37.32
Pittsburgh Penguins 37.68
Detroit Red Wings 38.26
New Jersey Devils 38.26
Buffalo Sabres 38.29
Philadelphia Flyers 38.56
Saint Louis Blues 38.58
Columbus Blue Jackets 38.71
Washington Capitals - DC 39.98
Minnesota Wild 40.78
Anaheim Ducks 41.58
Los Angeles Kings 41.58
San Jose Sharks 41.58
New York Islanders 42.15
New York Rangers 42.15
Calgary Flames 42.78
Edmonton Oilers 42.78
Vancouver Canucks 44.56
Winnipeg Jets 46.17
Ottawa Senators 47.71
Toronto Maple Leafs 47.71
Montreal Canadiens 49.49

Another thing to note, my understanding is this is a remedial view of the taxes too because the taxes are paid based on where the money is earned, meaning they pay taxes in both the US and Canada based on what percentage is made in each market. So while Tampa has a low tax number, they also play a lot of divisional games in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal and pay a higher tax rate for those games. So Dallas and Nashville players end up having to pay less in taxes than those in Florida and Tampa.
what salary did you use? $650,000?

If you use $5M (as Burke did) the tax rates are very different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #7108
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
what salary did you use? $650,000?

If you use $5M (as Burke did) the tax rates are very different.
yeah, just left it at the default
Old 09-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #7109
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've often wondered about all of that. As much as Walsh is a blowhard, I'd be interested in hearing more about those sorts of issues.

I've always assumed that the reporting on the financial side of things, especially related to taxes, is probably extremely simplistic because sports reporters are not financial experts. Even their coverage of the CBA is often wildly inaccurate and the document is readily available to anyone who wants to consult it.

Tax laws are even more confusing than anything in the CBA.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #7110
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What do you think the atmosphere is for inter-division trades? The LA Kings match up better than anyone in the league for a Hanifin trade, if indeed Hanifin is available. Their LD depth right now is Ben Hutton, Mikey Anderson and Kurtis McDermid. There is one good prospect on the way. They are in the market.

On the other side of that, their centre depth after Kopitar is all rookies and prospects of a really high calibre.

Alex Turcotte, Gabriel Vilardi, Akil Thomas, Tyler Madden, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Rasmus Kupari, Aiden Dudas, Nikolai Prokhorkin, Drake Rymsha, Mike Amadio, Blake Lizotte and the #2 pick incoming.
Prokhorkin is done with the NHL and went back to the KHL.

I posted earlier a trade for Hanifin that went along the lines of Kupari and Kaliev and one of their 2nds. Seems right to me.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #7111
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke should have stayed away from the mortgage interest comment as recent tax reform limited that deduction.

Now i’d like to see the work behind the numbers he threw out in the graphic to get an idea of how accurate. There is quite a bit of complexity in the US as even if you live in a tax free state, you will pay state taxes and in some cases city taxes as a non resident in those places where the money is earned.

But the other thing he didn’t discuss is that there seems little doubt that income taxes in the US are on their way up for high income earners barring some big surprise in November.

I’m sure that high income earners pay less taxes in most states than you would in most Canadian provinces but I doubt the difference is as big as he throws out and will likely shrink as soon as next year.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #7112
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, just left it at the default
For 'normal' wages (i.e. under $500,000, or in this case, $650,000), the average tax rate is what matters. For instance, in Ontario, you pay over 48% at $150,000, whereas in AB, you don't hit 48% until you are making $314,000. the average tax rate will factor those discrepancies in.

But when your salary is $5M, those details don't matter much. What matters is the highest marginal tax rate because the vast majority of your salary is subject to that top rate.

(other tax structures notwithstanding)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #7113
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't believe this for a second. Petterssen is a point/GP centreman, and Hughes matched Boeser's career high in scoring as a defenseman in his rookie season.

It doesn't matter what the terms for either player look like, they are both getting paid ALOT more than Boeser on their next deals. It is delusional wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.

I mean, I deleted it for a reason. And being approached about and open too does not mean that they're doing it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #7114
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once EVERYTHING is factored in, the financial bottom line for players between different jurisdictions isn't that different, though a lot depends on individual lifestyles, preferences, and circumstances.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #7115
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Markstrom would be a great get for the Flames. The only thing the Flames may have to be worried about is term.

Certainly sounds like he isn't asking for a lot of money though. The only hold up with the Canucks is a NMC or dollars to replace the NMC.
Why the hesitation from the Canucks tho? Isn’t the obvious play to sign Markstrom and trade Demko right away? Demko’s stock has to be sky high right now. I mean, I’d rather the Flames trade the 19th overall for Demko than Kuemper. And I imagine a few teams with a higher first rounder would make that deal too.

If that’s the play, a NMC for Markstrom shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #7116
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Why the hesitation from the Canucks tho? Isn’t the obvious play to sign Markstrom and trade Demko right away? Demko’s stock has to be sky high right now. I mean, I’d rather the Flames trade the 19th overall for Demko than Kuemper. And I imagine a few teams with a higher first rounder would make that deal too.

If that’s the play, a NMC for Markstrom shouldn’t be an issue.
41 career games, with a GAA of 2.83. And that INCLUDES his red hot playoff performance.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #7117
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The Canucks are hesitating because if Demko comes out next year and continues to play as well as he did for parts of this season and the play-offs then you go with the cheaper, younger option going forward. It alleviates some cap issues and gives you more years at a good level of play vs Markstrom who is over 30 and will cost at a minimum of 5m.

Despite what Dino and Enoch love to hammer on, Demko was actually fantastic in a back up role last season. He didn't struggle until Markstrom got hurt. How Demko performed in the play-offs wasn't some "out of nowhere" thing like with Murray or Binnington. Demko is supposed to be that good. Long story short, Canucks would rather sell low on Demko to see if he can do it consistently next season. To do that, they need Markstrom.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #7118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

May be more beneficial to grab a short term solution in FA than buy long term on Markstrom. I dont know, I'm not an expert on Canicls stuff. But If we're looking at things, a 2 year deal for a UFA goalie as an insurance marker to back Demko is probably the best bang for the dollar.

The last time the Nucks chose age over youth...well they're still paying for it. Mind you Schneiders a shell of his former self as well, but yeah..

Demko is in lock step with the rest of the Nucks core age wise, IMO, thats one of their cornerstones.

Let us take Markstrom as he is more in line with ours.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:16 AM   #7119
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
May be more beneficial to grab a short term solution in FA than buy long term on Markstrom. I dont know, I'm not an expert on Canicls stuff. But If we're looking at things, a 2 year deal for a UFA goalie as an insurance marker to back Demko is probably the best bang for the dollar.

The last time the Nucks chose age over youth...well they're still paying for it. Mind you Schneiders a shell of his former self as well, but yeah..

Demko is in lock step with the rest of the Nucks core age wise, IMO, thats one of their cornerstones.

Let us take Markstrom as he is more in line with ours.

Canucks aren't willing to just assume what we saw at the end of our season is what we will see going forward. The Canucks would rather make sure they have one great goalie as opposed to none like last time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-20-2020, 01:16 AM   #7120
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Canucks are hesitating because if Demko comes out next year and continues to play as well as he did for parts of this season and the play-offs then you go with the cheaper, younger option going forward. It alleviates some cap issues and gives you more years at a good level of play vs Markstrom who is over 30 and will cost at a minimum of 5m.

Despite what Dino and Enoch love to hammer on, Demko was actually fantastic in a back up role last season. He didn't struggle until Markstrom got hurt. How Demko performed in the play-offs wasn't some "out of nowhere" thing like with Murray or Binnington. Demko is supposed to be that good. Long story short, Canucks would rather sell low on Demko to see if he can do it consistently next season. To do that, they need Markstrom.
You just said exactly the same thing that Dino and Enoch 'love to hammer on'.

(btw... this in NOT what Enoch loves to hammer on! )
Closed Thread