Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #721
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
There are about 4 billion average joes. No matter how awesome your instagram is, not everyone can be a celebrity.

Should I post an article every time an average joe drives a car to work and back? Take a plane for a vacation? Take a plane for a work trip? Goes on a cruise? Ahhh, but those don't count. Because they're not celebrities and don't make headlines that distract from the real causes.

Celebrities aren't the problem, the people who share distracting click-bait and low level climate change denying articles are.
I mean, can't both be the problem?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #722
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I mean, can't both be the problem?
Over a billion people travel every year, why do we focus on celebrities?

Because climate change deniers have branded them an easy target to distract from the real causes.

LEO TOOK A PLANE! Yeah, well, so did Doug from finance, but nobody cares about that.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #723
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

These people show up to a climate change conference in their yachts and promulgate how imperative it is that we take immediate action, or we will all die.

Yet just one of these people have created more carbon emissions in a week than I will create in a lifetime. They have made no observable changes in their lavish lifestyles.

I don't deny climate change. I simply think these dickwads have a negative impact on it.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #724
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because climate change deniers have branded them an easy target to distract from the real causes.

LEO TOOK A PLANE! Yeah, well, so did Doug from finance, but nobody cares about that.
Celebrities likely reinforce bad behavior by taking the "do what I say not what I do" attitude.

Why should I change my ways, like all these people are telling me to, when they don't and they actually pollute a substantial more than I do?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #725
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

Quoted for truth. Although to be fair, people with private planes are worse offenders on a person-to-plane ratio.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #726
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling out people as hypocrites doesn't make you a climate change denier.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #727
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
These people show up to a climate change conference in their yachts and promulgate how imperative it is that we take immediate action, or we will all die.

Yet just one of these people have created more carbon emissions in a week than I will create in a lifetime. They have made no observable changes in their lavish lifestyles.

I don't deny climate change. I simply think these dickwads have a negative impact on it.
Who cares. Maybe focusing on the real polluters with the same disdain would hurry up the offensive we have to take.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #728
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

lol look at this loser who doesn't even yacht.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #729
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares. Maybe focusing on the real polluters with the same disdain would hurry up the offensive we have to take.
Who cares? I guess that's my biggest problem. I don't care about these people. But for whatever reason, people seek political opinions from celebrities. So when they attend these conferences and pat themselves on the back, while literally doing nothing of benefit, it frustrates me when they hold their own regard above others.

Addressing the issues related to demand are probably more important than blaming the suppliers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #730
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its only fair to point out celebs who pontificate about the environment, but won't fly commercial because some plebs might recognize them.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who is that, exactly?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #732
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Calling out people as hypocrites doesn't make you a climate change denier.
When you spend more time calling out celebrities and posting articles about them rather than posting about actual large-scale polluters, then you're the problem.

Because "why should I change my ways" is your response.

The hypocrisy is that we are so quick to jump on celebrities, but give a pass to governments/politicians that aren't taking action, industries that aren't taking action, lobbies that are spending millions to delay action, "news" outlets that post these articles, and the pundits who are purposefully trying to sow doubt.

But celebrities are the worst.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #733
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When you spend more time calling out celebrities and posting articles about them rather than posting about actual large-scale polluters, then you're the problem.

The hypocrisy is that we are so quick to jump on celebrities, but give a pass to governments/politicians that aren't taking action, industries that aren't taking action, lobbies that are spending millions to delay action, "news" outlets that post these articles, and the pundits who are purposefully trying to sow doubt.

Is it ok to know that celebrities aren't literally "the worst" but to still recognize they pollute at rates far far higher than us plebs, and could maybe think twice before doing what they do, just because they can afford it? Or are we only allowed to criticize who you find acceptable? Just wondering what the ground rules are for this thread.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #734
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares? I guess that's my biggest problem. I don't care about these people. But for whatever reason, people seek political opinions from celebrities. So when they attend these conferences and pat themselves on the back, while literally doing nothing of benefit, it frustrates me when they hold their own regard above others.

Addressing the issues related to demand are probably more important than blaming the suppliers.
Maybe targeting that disdain towards the real polluters would be more productive. Instead of what some celebrity did. You don't have to read, listen, or care about them at all. They literally do not impact your life in any way.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #735
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe targeting that disdain towards the real polluters would be more productive. Instead of what some celebrity did. You don't have to read, listen, or care about them at all. They literally do not impact your life in any way.
Except by, you know, contributing to climate change at rates far higher than the rest of us. Why do they get to call out our livelihood when we can't call out theirs?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #736
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Since when are any of these things mutually exclusive?

You can't complain about celebrities being hypocrites because you haven't posted articles about government or industry being a bigger issue?

And that's part of the problem? It's this kind of language that pushes people further away.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #737
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Except by, you know, contributing to climate change at rates far higher than the rest of us. Why do they get to call out our livelihood when we can't call out theirs?
For all we know, you could be burning coal every night and your car runs on crude bitumen. You might be worse than them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #738
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I think its only fair to point out celebs who pontificate about the environment, but won't fly commercial because some plebs might recognize them.
Several O&G companies have private planes. Nobody's going to recognize them.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #739
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Large scale polluters are providing something that society at large actually needs, steel, oil, power, food ect. The entertainment industry is the most superfluous invention of modern man. The average person gets turned off listening to plastic, pampered elites virtue signalling while living outsized lifestyles disconnected from reality.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #740
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This post specifically and this discussion raises two questions for me:

1. Why does it matter if they call out your livelihood?
2. Why are the people who "don't care" about what celebrities say, the people who seem to talk a lot about what celebrities say?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: