Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #61
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went through a few $200 coffee makers. Have a $30 sunbeam right now and its my favourite out of all them. Have a separate grinder for whole beans. Love it.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #62
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The pods are expensive and if you don’t live in a big city you have to order them in the mail but we absolutely love our Nespresso. We went through 3-4 Keurigs in 2 years and I was going to go back to an old fashioned style pot, but saw a review for this machine and now my wife and I are completely hooked. The pods can be bought from 40 mil double espresso to 414 mil to go cup size. They also have a very easy to use milk frother which is very important when you want your kids to make you one.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #63
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
The pods are expensive and if you don’t live in a big city you have to order them in the mail but we absolutely love our Nespresso. We went through 3-4 Keurigs in 2 years and I was going to go back to an old fashioned style pot, but saw a review for this machine and now my wife and I are completely hooked. The pods can be bought from 40 mil double espresso to 414 mil to go cup size. They also have a very easy to use milk frother which is very important when you want your kids to make you one.
How is that even possible? and if so I hope you only paid for one!

My first Keurig lasted 8 years and my current one is 3 years old
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #64
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
How is that even possible? and if so I hope you only paid for one!

My first Keurig lasted 8 years and my current one is 3 years old
Our first Keurig a $99 dollar earlier version lasted several years, probably 6-10 cups a day, and we were very happy with it. The trouble for us started with Keurig 2.0, we live on a farm and have had trouble with water quality but they would last about 6 months. We paid for 1 of the 3 (Keurigs). It’s funny though didn’t seem like water problems, 1st made a burning smell and quit working, second one it was like all the electronics stopped working, the third one stopped making coffee, would cough, sputter and make a 1/4 cup. Then we bought a Cusinart. It lasted for 6-8 months and I don’t remember what wrong with it. We have had the Nespresso over 1 year and so far so good.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #65
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the subject of moka pots, avoid the newer Ikea ones (METALLISK); they literally might be one of the worst redesigned products I've ever bought. They used to have ones that were largely like a standard moka pot, except dirt cheap. The new ones are flawed in all the following ways: The handle is not insulated, so it gets too hot to hold without an oven mitt or towel. The lid (formerly a flip lid on a hinge), is too tight-fitting to remove without also firmly gripping the pot itself. The angle of the handle is positioned high, so that when pouring, your hand will be directly in the path of the rising steam. Oh, also more expensive.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #66
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was trying to figure out why our coffee maker wasn't keeping the coffee hot. Turns out there is a rubber gasket that holds the heat plate to the base. That gasket has rotted, and the plate is just kinda floating below, not making contact with the pot. German Engineering!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #67
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a cheap fake Keurig ( I think it’s a Sunbeam) that cost 12 bucks and works well. It only holds enough water for a single cup. I also have a regular Keurig ( bought it because it’s a cool aqua color and it was on sale) that’s also fine if I shake the living crap out of it every once in a while. I guess air gets into the hose, causing it to sputter etc.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #68
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
I have a cheap fake Keurig ( I think it’s a Sunbeam) that cost 12 bucks and works well. It only holds enough water for a single cup. I also have a regular Keurig ( bought it because it’s a cool aqua color and it was on sale) that’s also fine if I shake the living crap out of it every once in a while. I guess air gets into the hose, causing it to sputter etc.

Are those the ones they put in hotel rooms? I noticed a lot of that only hold enough water for one cup.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #69
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have a Rancilio Rocky. Not crazy about it now. Grinds clumping, awkward adjustments. It’s a workhorse, but a clumsy one.

Niche Zero is pretty cool.

this is what i have (the niche)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #70
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
this is what i have (the niche)

Cool. Where did you find it? I haven’t seen them on the second hand market yet, so I am guessing people are holding on to them.

How do you like it?
Old 09-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #71
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Cool. Where did you find it? I haven’t seen them on the second hand market yet, so I am guessing people are holding on to them.

How do you like it?
Bought it from IndieGogo. It was about a two month lead time. Hit with extra customs on the way in, so if buying, make sure to budget for it.

Love it. SurferGuy here on CP made an excellent storage device for me for some single dosing containers. Its surprisingly good at filter as well, so quite versatile. Replaced two grinders with it, both our dedicated espresso grinder and the filter one.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #72
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are those the ones they put in hotel rooms? I noticed a lot of that only hold enough water for one cup.

Yes, pretty much that. Just realized I’ve had it for over 3 years.

I’m beginning to get pickier about coffee. Maybe it’s because I’m home now and it’s not just a morning rush thing any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #73
yycguy1
Draft Pick

We have the Bonavita with metal craft maybe $130 ish I think (after about 8 years with a Zojirushi, the heating element in the bottom got clogged). Paired it up with the cheapest Baratza burr grinder). Coffee is awesome!!
yycguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #74
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well if anyone is looking for a Lelit Bianca espresso machine, PM me!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #75
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

How do you like it?
Now that I've had the Niche for some time I can whole heartedly recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #76
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now that I've had the Niche for some time I can whole heartedly recommend it.

It would be nice to have something like that for switching between brew methods. Once I get the grind setting dialed in for espresso, I feel hesitant to change it. I see that James Hoffmann still uses it a lot in his videos.

So many improvements that could have been done for the Rocky, but they leave it to the consumer to fiddle with and hack.

I am guessing your Lelit isn’t going for sub-$1000? I keep hoping to win one of those idrinkcoffee draws.

Side note, I thought I would clean my Gaggia boiler with a little CLR. Turns out, the CLR we had was some industrial version. Spent such a long time clearing that stuff out of all the lines. On the bright side, sparkling clean boiler.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #77
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well if anyone is looking for a Lelit Bianca espresso machine, PM me!
What?! You’re selling this?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I change my Baratza Encore all the time. 20 for drip, 4 for espresso.

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use clr on it. Just get some citric acid powder off of Amazon. It doesn't take much, and I do it every 3 months or so.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just going to use vinegar from now. I was using it regularly, but I removed the steam valve and looked inside the boiler and it had a pretty thick coat of calcium, even using filtered water it still looked like a cave when I disassembled the boiler again to look inside.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #80
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Aeropress. Good coffee. Cheapish. Simple. And you can pack it around easily. I keep thinking I need a proper coffee maker, but this thing is awesome. Better than the French press I have.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote