Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default World Suicide Prevention Day

With the crappiness of 2020, and the Pandemic, terrible crappy economy, people losing their jobs and livelihoods and the ramped up societal stress. Maybe this is a good day to reach out to a family member or friend that you haven't talked to in a while, or a friend that is suffering due to 2020 just to chat and let them know you're thinking of them.

We all can't be alone in the days of social isolation and fear.

If you're stressed out, or thinking of hurting yourself, today is the day to reach out and get help, if you think you can't cope or deal talk to someone or dial 811 or go to the website above and look at resources.

We all are out here to help.

Lets prevent tragedy before it happens.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Whatever you think of Chris Cuomo on CNN, he has done a lot of work to reduce the stigma around mental health.

The important message - those that seek help have a very high survival rate.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...n-medicine-hat

Tragic story out of Medicine Hat about a group of men all around the same age who died earlier this year.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I kind of found myself choking up when I posted this. It was two years ago, when a family member and really good guy who was going through some really tough times (Battling addiction, the break up of his marriage). took his own life.

He had left town a couple of months ago to, as he claimed drive across Canada do some camping and clear his mind. I think he knew what he was going to do.

I still feel guilty about it frankly, because I hadn't been a great friend when he left town, looking back I didn't see the signs or maybe I ignored them. But he seemed for the first time in a long time, relaxed and easy going instead of what he had been.

When I heard the news, we were all devastated, all of his family and even his friends, but as the days when we all gathered to celebrate his life, I think that on reflection nobody was shocked.

It took me a long time to get over this feeling of guilt, and then anger that he had done it.

That's why I put up this message.

Listen if you have an inkling, a bad feeling. If someone close to you is having a hard time, and suffering through it, and then their personalty changes, we can't be afraid to ask questions, take temperatures, or just take them out of the environment their in. And keep touching base. Don't be afraid to ask for help in dealing with a person if you're afraid or worried.

Suicide goes beyond the loss of one life. It shatters many as self centered as it sounds.

Its a ####ty time right now for a lot of people, lets be good to each other, lets help each other, and lets try to get the people that need it that reason to go on and not hurt themselves.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes out is a relief.

That's why your friend was suddenly relaxed.

Its a weird position to take, but I'm a believer that there is total freedom and peace on the other side and I dont blame someone for opting for that when just dealing with the day to day feels so frequently overwhelming, cause I've been there.

I'd always advocate to keep trying to overcome things and just to try your best and know that its enough, but sometimes reality just takes such a toll that you're just perpetually tired inside and out, and you've just had enough. And its no ones fault in particular as to how you got there but you just know you're ready for peace/a release.

Any person would do a lot of thinking beforehand and certainly wouldn't want people that have continued to stick around to beat themselves up over it. We all make decisions for ourselves and our needs. Sometimes that's what it comes to. If you believe that being here in this existence is just a small part of your total existence then it doesn't feel like a huge offence or tragedy, but just another step in the natural progression of things.

A lot of life is contrast and suffering. Death is instant peace from that. That isn't the part we should be sad about. Its what people silently go through while they are here. If we can limit that and help people feel included and valued wherever we go, then we help make this existence preferable to the alternstive for more people.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-10-2020 at 05:33 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

He's in a place where he doesn't suffer anymore, Captain.

I'm a suicide survivor from my teens. When I swallowed the bottle of pills when I was 17, the above was the message I told myself while I waited to die. I felt a great sense of peace knowing my troubles would be over. Thankfully I didn't take enough and i'm here today living with the horror of how close I came to ending my life.

Always be there for someone when they want to talk. You don't have to have any solutions, but being there for them with an ear can make a huge difference. People suffering need to know that someone else cares.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brave and good of you Captain to start this. And for everyone sharing.
I still remember the day my dads best friends daughter took her own life... by OD’ing on her dads heart pills. So tragic.
At University my dorm neighbor... I remember tailing him all night after he mixed booze and drugs and kept threatening to end it all. I still wonder if I hadn’t done that if he woulda ended it all. He was in such a dark place after his best friend got blown up by a bomb in the Middle East.
Also... talk to your kids. Both personally but also help them help their friends. Teach them how to be supportive and compassionate. At least give them the verbal tools and moreso get them to know and understand there are many support systems available. But they’re only effective if they’re used.
Sometimes all it takes is a friendly text, quick call, or something simple to break someone outa their dark place.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I kind of found myself choking up when I posted this. It was two years ago, when a family member and really good guy who was going through some really tough times (Battling addiction, the break up of his marriage). took his own life.

He had left town a couple of months ago to, as he claimed drive across Canada do some camping and clear his mind. I think he knew what he was going to do.

I still feel guilty about it frankly, because I hadn't been a great friend when he left town, looking back I didn't see the signs or maybe I ignored them. But he seemed for the first time in a long time, relaxed and easy going instead of what he had been.

When I heard the news, we were all devastated, all of his family and even his friends, but as the days when we all gathered to celebrate his life, I think that on reflection nobody was shocked.

It took me a long time to get over this feeling of guilt, and then anger that he had done it.

Listen if you have an inkling, a bad feeling. If someone close to you is having a hard time, and suffering through it, and then their personalty changes, we can't be afraid to ask questions, take temperatures, or just take them out of the environment their in. And keep touching base. Don't be afraid to ask for help in dealing with a person if you're afraid or worried.

Suicide goes beyond the loss of one life. It shatters many as self centered as it sounds.

Its a ####ty time right now for a lot of people, lets be good to each other, lets help each other, and lets try to get the people that need it that reason to go on and not hurt themselves.
I feel ya.

Four years ago I had a buddy take his life, the week before I had the chance to see him (we had grown apart a bit and did't talk that much in the last year) but I couldn't be arsed to walk over to see him a distance of around 300 metres.

In speaking with friends that saw him that day it is clear to them now that he was using that day to say goodbye.

I beat myself up a lot about it and it still makes me angry/upset/confused now. That being said a bunch of use reconnected at the funeral and made a pact to take care of each other and it has worked so far.

Earlier this summer was ####ty for me and my family. I wasn't in a good place. I'm not sure I realized how ####ty, but my friends did. In the space of 3 weeks I got numerous calls and texts just to see how I was.

I like to this that Mark killing himself has lead to this safety net, it helps me feel better about it.

Since moving back to Calgary we have re-connected with his widow and two kids.

I'm not exactly sure where I was going when I started typing this, I guess my point is that try to turn the loss/pain into a positive.

It seems to be working for me.

Also, if you ever need to chat PM me.

PS: I might add that I got unsolicited PM's on CP from posters that I have never interacted with before offering help.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I listen to this song whenever I feel down

Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I listen to this song whenever I feel down

I don't know man, this is more my jam when feeling down

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #12
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I don't know man, this is more my jam when feeling down

It's not about jam, it's the reminder that I'm not alone and there are others who are suffering. That's the message the song is trying to convey.

That being said, a song with jam, like the one you posted is good also
Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 AM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
He's in a place where he doesn't suffer anymore, Captain.

I'm a suicide survivor from my teens. When I swallowed the bottle of pills when I was 17, the above was the message I told myself while I waited to die. I felt a great sense of peace knowing my troubles would be over. Thankfully I didn't take enough and i'm here today living with the horror of how close I came to ending my life.

Always be there for someone when they want to talk. You don't have to have any solutions, but being there for them with an ear can make a huge difference. People suffering need to know that someone else cares.
I'm glad you're still here with us dude. Love your contributions to this site and the perspectives you bring.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:23 AM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #15
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Whatever you think of Chris Cuomo on CNN, he has done a lot of work to reduce the stigma around mental health.

The important message - those that seek help have a very high survival rate.
Is there anyone with a brain who doesn't like Chris Cuomo? The guy bleeds common sense, he reminds me of JFK without the digressions.

He should run for President.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #16
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

It is easier to say than to do but you should not have felt guilty. About 10 years ago my sister attempted suicide is a terribly violent way that has left here permanently disabled. Reflecting after I have realized that once someone is in the state of wanting that "out" it is very difficult to change that thinking. I'm not saying do nothing, but sometimes there isn't much you can do. In the end we kept tracks on her all the time, had her try multiple government programs, and other therapies we sought out. She still attempted to kill herself. I'm just saying sometimes you can try everything in your power and other than chaining them to something, which obviously you can't do, whatever you do may not be enough.

So of course use whatever resources are available but if what is feared or what you don't notice ends up in suicide you can not blame yourself. They are not really the person you knew and you may not be able to get them back. Unfortunately, it was the attempt and survival that ultimately brought my sister back to her former self.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote