Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
When you make comments like that, you make it clear that you don't understand their government.
Honest question, how do you explain the 2 hostages in prison in China?

Last I read China suggested releasing Meng W and they would release the 2 men.

That is strong arm tactics.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Damn, that's a harshly discriminatory position to take with regard to Chinese nationals. Not shocking that it happens, even in 2011 and still no doubt happening today, but harsh.

Canada has many Chinese nationals who live in Canada full time yet retain their Chinese citizenship. They just live in Canada for the rest of their lives as permanent residents because China doesn't allow dual citizenship and they don't want to risk losing rights to interests they have back in China. They're legal permanent residents of Canada and part of Canadian society though, not people to fear or distrust.
To be clear that was an opinion from a person not corporate policy. I do not condone any discrimination policy whatsoever.

Just was trying to illustrate the brevity of the issue that would cause a professional person to say that.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #23
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The reality is we live in the best times in all of history. Fewer wars, diseases, longer life, better medicine etc...The biggest difference is our access to news that promotes the doom and gloom. Try ignoring it? Ignorance is bliss?
I agree with you however this is only true for a minority of the worlds people plus there are ominous signs that things are going to get a whole lot worse. For a lot of people. I just recently started watching some of the hill and tend to get more out of it than most news/commentary sources. Does anyone disagree with their information and assessment presented in this story? I'd be curious to see their ideas challenged.

Last edited by karl262; 08-26-2020 at 11:27 AM.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #24
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I have come to the stark realization that the world is doomed, I hate society and I frequently feel like I’m living in 1936 Austria. Like we all know what’s happening but it’s a lot of work to do anything about it and I’d rather just sneak by and leave all the worlds problems to the next guy. I’ve legit reached the point where discussions about the future, even with parents of young kids, is like “dude, don’t have kids, the world is ####ed. I love my kids but I fear for the world I’ve birthed them into. If I was single like you, I would never have kids.”

I want to go full on cabin in the woods off the grid and just shut myself off from society. It’s too much of a downer being stuck here. Civilization is an abject failure. I want to revoke my implied consent to the social contract.
Read the book FACTFULNESS. Will change your perspective . If not I will personally reimburse you

https://www.amazon.ca/Factfulness-Re.../dp/1250107814
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #25
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
I agree with you however this is only true for a minority of the worlds people plus there are ominous signs that things are going to get a whole lot worse. For a lot of people. I just recently started watching some of the hill and tend to get more out of it than most news/commentary sources. Does anyone disagree with their information and assessment presented in this story? I'd be curious to see their ideas challenged.

Only true for the minority of the world ... wow that is the most first world perspective I have ever seen !

It’s getting better for a huge majority. See my post above !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #26
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Read the book FACTFULNESS. Will change your perspective . If not I will personally reimburse you

https://www.amazon.ca/Factfulness-Re.../dp/1250107814
Enlightenment Now and Thank You for Being Late are a couple more good reads along the same lines that will support a more optimistic outlook on present and future with data.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
With the China practicing hostage diplomacy Canada has to move carefully. Their gov't only understands strength. He who has the most wins.

That said, we have effectively banned Huawei in 5G. I too would like and official announcement, but that just puts 2 innocent people at risk, and maybe more.
The Liberals are doing better than banning Huawei. They are tying them up in an endless loop of delays which is costing Huawei millions.

In the meantime the big 3 are all shifting over to using our firms for the buildout of 5G.

Actually a pretty brilliant strategy. Especially considering that we have to be careful because those bastards are executing Canadian citizens.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

China is effectively running concentration camps while they commit genocide.

The whole is turning a blind eye.

Most don't care. And we think they'll care about IP theft? This has been going on for years. Thousands of companies affected, billions of dollars worth of damage. But hey, we don't understand their government.

We're just too scared to fight back, and China is very good at getting their bots to spread misinformation.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #29
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have come to the stark realization that the world is doomed, I hate society and I frequently feel like I’m living in 1936 Austria. Like we all know what’s happening but it’s a lot of work to do anything about it and I’d rather just sneak by and leave all the worlds problems to the next guy. I’ve legit reached the point where discussions about the future, even with parents of young kids, is like “dude, don’t have kids, the world is ####ed. I love my kids but I fear for the world I’ve birthed them into. If I was single like you, I would never have kids.”

I want to go full on cabin in the woods off the grid and just shut myself off from society. It’s too much of a downer being stuck here. Civilization is an abject failure. I want to revoke my implied consent to the social contract.
Unplug from social media - I did it a few months back and it has transformed my life. Delete Twitter, delete Facebook, get the apps off your phone. The way they firehose content into your brain from vastly disparate sources and subjects is not how you’re meant to interact with the world.

There’s no better time in all human history to be alive, don’t despair.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #30
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Honest question, how do you explain the 2 hostages in prison in China?

Last I read China suggested releasing Meng W and they would release the 2 men.

That is strong arm tactics.
Strong arm tactics as a response to what is seen as strong arm tactics being used by the US with Canada as a willing proxy shouldn't lead to the broad conclusion that the government only understands strength.

China would not have rise out of poverty and famine into a global economic power if there was not ample sophisticated thinking and understanding of economic and political activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
China is effectively running concentration camps while they commit genocide.

The whole is turning a blind eye.

Most don't care. And we think they'll care about IP theft? This has been going on for years. Thousands of companies affected, billions of dollars worth of damage. But hey, we don't understand their government.

We're just too scared to fight back, and China is very good at getting their bots to spread misinformation.
Posts like this are bordering on paranoid delusions. Elements of truth mixed with heaps of fear and ignorance.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Strong arm tactics as a response to what is seen as strong arm tactics being used by the US with Canada as a willing proxy shouldn't lead to the broad conclusion that the government only understands strength.

China would not have rise out of poverty and famine into a global economic power if there was not ample sophisticated thinking and understanding of economic and political activity.

Posts like this are bordering on paranoid delusions. Elements of truth mixed with heaps of fear and ignorance.
I’m curious which part you think isn’t accurate?

The concentration camps or global economic espionage that has cost companies billions or the bots?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #32
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on folks, all tech companies are guilty of stealing from others, not just Chinese ones.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I expect that the Chinese will up to ante now that the court challenge for documents didn't go Meng's way.

I figure one of the two Canadians sentenced to death in China will eat a bullet soon, and the new Michaels will head for a quick trial and the Chinese will put a death sentence over their heads.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #34
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Come on folks, all tech companies are guilty of stealing from others, not just Chinese ones.
Name a tech company that can arrest foreign citizens for disparaging comments about them gained by pulling data from the phone.

I'll wait.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Name a tech company that can arrest foreign citizens for disparaging comments about them gained by pulling data from the phone.

I'll wait.
Skynet.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Only true for the minority of the world ... wow that is the most first world perspective I have ever seen !

It’s getting better for a huge majority. See my post above !
I dont doubt that over the last 25 years things have gotten better, I'm more concerned about the next 25.

I'm sure the author of this book would think the US economy is in great shape because stocks and home sales are at an all time high, right? Nothing to see here...the tens of millions of newly unemployed people will bounce right back!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #37
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I will give credit where it is due. Trump and Trudeau have given the world the impression that corrupt behavior is normal accepted practice in the Western World.

I hate to say it but these two are not representative of sophisticated politicians however.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #38
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I’m curious which part you think isn’t accurate?

The concentration camps or global economic espionage that has cost companies billions or the bots?
You're not going to get a response.

Fact is that China has spread so much misinformation throughout the world to effectively disguise years of genocide, IP theft, currency manipulation, outright patent theft, human rights abuses, etc, etc. The list could go on forever.

Yes, all companies are constantly spying on each other to get the advantage, but in the 'normal' world, you simply can't steal information from another company, completely copy what they have designed, produce it and sell it without recourse. The IP protection system is probably far to strong, as many companies constantly deal with patent trolls.

In China none of that means anything.

Exactly the reason why we should effectively start to dismantle anything that has Chinese ownership. Any company in Canada that is at all owned or has part ownership by a Chinese company should be seized and forced to sell. Same thing the US is doing with TikTok right now. If they do not sell, they should effectively be banned from operating in Canada. Basically shut them all down.

Then move on to real estate. The only thing a Chinese national is allowed to buy is a house, and then they needed to be vetted, and should be paying property taxes 10x those of someone not from China. Then every year each property owned by someone with ties to China (they should be flagged at purchase) should be inspected, and if nobody is living there, the property is seized and ownership taken back by the government. That should effectively stop the money laundering and real estate manipulation going on right now in places such as Vancouver.

It is crazy how we think that China cares about anything but screwing us over.

We should also actively be looking for trade deals with India, and every single other country on earth so we can tell China to pound sand.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it's kinda like saying "well all politicians lie like Trump, why is he being singled out?" The answer should be obvious, but here we are.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've cleared a bunch of land for this exact purpose this year, while my office was closed and I was remoting in to work I figured I might as well make some progress on project "go live in the woods".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote