Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #141
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian vocal pro-Hong Kong democracy supporters getting rape, abduction, and harassment threats including disturbing ones to their family back in China. Canadian police powerless to stop them since harassment originates from China.

Quote:
For Cherie Wong, the threats of rape and murder she receives on social media are only a semi-constant reminder that many supporters of the Chinese Communist Party see her as an enemy.

Back in January, Wong — executive director and co-founder of Alliance Canada Hong Kong, a group pressing the Canadian government to defend the former British colony's democracy — flew to Vancouver for events associated with the alliance's launch. Someone had been keeping tabs on her, she said.

"My hotel room was booked by someone else as a security measure. And two days after the launch ... I received a threatening phone call to my hotel room demanding that I leave immediately, that these people are coming to collect me," she said.

Wong said she still doesn't know how her whereabouts were disclosed. She said she reported the call to the police but was told there was little they could do.

Wong said activists in her group had a foretaste of the impotence of Canadian police in the face of such harassment on August 17, 2019, when members of the Hong Kong diaspora rallied in 30 cities around the world to back Hong Kong's anti-extradition protests. They were met by counter-protesters waving Chinese flags.

Wong said she was one of a number of protest participants who were subsequently "doxxed" by online antagonists. "They took photos of me and started digging up my personal information, my email address, where I was living, my phone number," she said. "And [they] shared that kind of information maliciously through WeChat channels."

Implied threats to family members were more alarming for immigrants from mainland China than for Hong Kong ex-pats — who had reason to believe their families were safer. That's beginning to change, he added.

"'We know where your parents live,'" said Cheuk Kwan of the Toronto Association for Democracy in China. "This is the phrase that they use all the time.

"You know, it could be just a little kind of phone call that says, 'Hey, by the way, I see your parents are doing well in ... somewhere.' You right away know that they know where your parents live.

"People would say, 'OK, I better be quiet, I better shut up or I better not do something.' And ... if you talk to people, the RCMP or CSIS, they will say, well, you can't prevent people from calling people up and saying, 'How are your parents doing?' Right?"

Gurski acknowledges that it's difficult for Canadian authorities to thwart that kind of back-channel pressure.

"I absolutely agree [that] if these are people who are engaged in activity here in Canada which the government of the People's Republic of China would see as threatening or besmirching the reputation of the PRC, they would certainly reach out to them and threaten them exactly that way," he said.

"The problem is if I call up and say, 'Hey, how's Mom and Dad?', you and I may know exactly what I'm talking about, but how do you prove that is actually a very subtle yet very direct threat against one's family, with the intended impact that you'll stop what you're doing? And if you don't ... then you may have something happen to your relatives back home?

"It may be as obvious as the nose on your face [but that's] just not the same as proving it in a court of law."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chi...nada-1.5717288
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:12 PM   #142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Trivia.

At the Asian Games, China had to ban this picture all over the country.

Can any of you guess why?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #143
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something to do with Tiananmen Square? June 4th?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #144
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

China potentially lost a nuclear sub in the Yellow Sea in late August. Rumours of an entanglement with an anti submarine net caused the loss of 55 crew members.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ellow-sea.html
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:24 PM   #145
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I googled Tiananmen square and I am certain that is it. I heard rumors back in the day when playing mobile games that people's accounts in China would go dark if anything about Tiananmen Square or the date made it to chat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2023, 08:30 PM   #146
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Would people make that connection? It's just their lane numbers.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2023, 10:43 PM   #147
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I don't think anyone would have made that connection. Their reaction has brought it to the forefront and made it something.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:26 AM   #148
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
China potentially lost a nuclear sub in the Yellow Sea in late August. Rumours of an entanglement with an anti submarine net caused the loss of 55 crew members.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ellow-sea.html
Hmmm, not to make light of 55 human deaths but the sub seems to have got stuck in its own trap set up for US and UK subs and they ran out of oxygen. instead of the normal denials wheres the rescue effort?

Well done China, well done
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:34 AM   #149
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I recall watching a video once where someone was showing students in Tiananmen Square a 6 and a 4 from a deck of cards, and the reactions were often immediately distancing themselves. I can’t find it… all this searching definitely has me on a list.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #150
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That’s strange 093-417 does not seem to be a pendant number of a commissioned submarine
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_093_submarine
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:42 AM   #151
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Hmmm, not to make light of 55 human deaths but the sub seems to have got stuck in its own trap set up for US and UK subs and they ran out of oxygen. instead of the normal denials wheres the rescue effort?

Well done China, well done
"Not to make light of 55 deaths of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters..." *proceeds to make light of 55 deaths of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters*

Gross post.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:21 AM   #152
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
"Not to make light of 55 deaths of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters..." *proceeds to make light of 55 deaths of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters*

Gross post.
Overreaction. Hostile army sets up trap hoping to kill/injure opposing forces only to spring it on themselves? It's comedy any way you slice it. Macabre, but this is a totally self inflicted injury and pointing out that China the state would rather have secrecy than mount a rescue effort for it's sailors is not an indictment on those who died or their families at all. It's an indictment against that monstrous, ugly authoritarian state who would wantonly sacrifice it's own people for virtually no benefit.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: