Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #581
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^Yes. There is a ton of entitlement in this forum. I have done well on Kijiji, and I have absolutely no expectations. Really my only consideration is safety and security. If you want full service, go to the Bay or buy it on Amazon.
90% of complaints about kijiji I see is because people can't ignore idiots.

Set your price and your delivery terms (pick up/dropoff) and ignore anyone who doesn't meet it. If it doesn't sell put in a new price.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #582
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Set your price and your delivery terms (pick up/dropoff) and ignore anyone who doesn't meet it. If it doesn't sell put in a new price.
That sounds boring.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #583
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Sometimes I've had my crap up for sale for so long, and am still awaiting that unicorn buyer, but don't want to give it or throw it away. So yeah I may entertain a stupid comment in the hope the item moves. But then sometimes I go from posting it online to pickup and posting deletion in only 30mins. go figure.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #584
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a new scam to me. Anyone ever received a message from a "car marketer", who has a "good system for getting buyers"?

All I need to do is tell him my bottom dollar and give him permission to advertise my car; he'll "never need access to my vehicle" and will only get paid after someone pays me "full price" for the car.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #585
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you sell it yourself does he still get paid ??
Old 09-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #586
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife uses Varage sale or some type of app to sell the stuff she doesn't need.

Recently she has been complaining about the same type pf people who make stupid requests...

I generally use Kijiji (or post here) and have learned to just ignore anything that is stupid or seems like a scam.

Trying to get my wife to do that is a different thing...
Old 09-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #587
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Agreed. I won’t even drive to the other end of my town to get a Kijiji item anymore. When I was in Calgary I wouldn’t leave my quadrant.
I drove to High River on Sunday to pick up 4 tires from a guy who drove from Nanton.

Every option in Calgary was 3 - 4 hundred dollars more for the same style of tires...

Sometimes its worth it.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #588
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to sell a used iPhone on Kijiji right now and it is absolutely painful. For an item worth $100 I have never had so many detailed questions. "What is the condition of the corners, where has the phone been used generally, what condition is the fingerprint sensor, is there any lint/dust in the headphone plug and do you have photos?"

With those questions @ $100 I would hate to see the questions they ask for a bigger purchase. When they bought a house for $500K did they ask to see the number of lint particles in each furnace vent prior to purchase?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #589
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Trying to sell a used iPhone on Kijiji right now and it is absolutely painful. For an item worth $100 I have never had so many detailed questions. "What is the condition of the corners, where has the phone been used generally, what condition is the fingerprint sensor, is there any lint/dust in the headphone plug and do you have photos?"

With those questions @ $100 I would hate to see the questions they ask for a bigger purchase. When they bought a house for $500K did they ask to see the number of lint particles in each furnace vent prior to purchase?
Probably because they are trying to flip it or get credit for it from apple.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #590
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Well, sometimes you answer and sometimes you bite back. It can be kind of fun at times.

Kijiji has suffered in the COVID era because people do not want to meet in person unless they are sure. EBAY and online has picked up. Tools do well with the renovation boom but phones are tough because there are so many available.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-29-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #591
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
People from Airdrie and Chestermere shouldn't be allowed to post items on Kijiji.
Someone please call the waahmbulance. Talk about first world problems! lol
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #592
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always think Kijiji is bad but then remember the hellscape that is Facebook Buy & Sell groups exist.

Like, in what world is it a good idea to have listings that rubes can comment on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #593
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ads do show their locations, it is possible to see how close something is before reaching out to the seller...

Airdrie and Chestermere are closer for a lot of the city than other parts of the city.

There's no difference in seeing an ad and deciding going from Seton to Tuscany is too far and deciding going from Tuscany to Chestermere is too far.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #594
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ads do show their locations, it is possible to see how close something is before reaching out to the seller...

Airdrie and Chestermere are closer for a lot of the city than other parts of the city.

There's no difference in seeing an ad and deciding going from Seton to Tuscany is too far and deciding going from Tuscany to Chestermere is too far.
I recently bought something from a guy who lived in Chestermere. I live in the NW and I asked if he would meet me in the NE as I was going to be in the area. He agreed, which I thought was reasonable as not many people are probably willing to drive out to Chestermere (or Airdrie)...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #595
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I always think Kijiji is bad but then remember the hellscape that is Facebook Buy & Sell groups exist.

Like, in what world is it a good idea to have listings that rubes can comment on?
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #596
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:

What model?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #597
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can I hijack for a while EBay question?

Sold something, guy lives in Japan, agreed to pay shipping cost. How do I actually get paid now? Like, does he pay the winning bid, then I invoice him for the estimated shipping costs? Or does it all happen at once typically?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #598
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About Kijiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Sold something, guy lives in Japan, agreed to pay shipping cost. How do I actually get paid now? Like, does he pay the winning bid, then I invoice him for the estimated shipping costs? Or does it all happen at once typically?

Did you already agree on a shipping price? It should all go through eBay.

The buyer should pay for it and you’d receive the shipping info and just take the package to the the Fedex or wherever.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/pos...ostage?id=4057
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #599
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
FWIW, the Buy/Sell here is curated and gated. FB Buy/Sell Groups are free-for-all of overpriced garbage, joke posts, and slapfights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Depends. As noted above, if you selected " buyer pays/fixed shipping" for the International option, eBay auto generates a price that should be a few bucks within the actual cost to ship the item (assuming you correctly entered the package size/weight) at the shipping speed you selected. If you selected "seller pays" you are on the hook for whatever the cost is.

If you are set up with Shippo, it will auto-parse the costing from eBay and generate a label for you. You pay for the label up front, but if you selected "buyer pays" the shipping cost is added to the Bid/Buy now price.

Note that eBay will charge you their fee at the end of every calendar month, it's not deducted from the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 09-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #600
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the listing I only had shipping available Canada and the US, for flat rates. I must be stupid, because I can’t see where I can remove the $25 shipping charge and add the quoted shipping cost.

We have agreed that buyer would pay for shipping, and I’ve sent similar items to Japan on several occasions so I have no concerns there.