Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #121
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

So after finnish up the last of my exams I decided it was time to finally get back to barbecuing, regardless of the weather. I was in the mood for some pulled pork so I headed down to the local butcher shop to pick up a nice butt roast. After not liking the small boneless cuts that were on display I asked for a larger, bone-in cut and was presented with this 9 pound beauty:

So the next thing I did was prepare a brine, to inject into the meat. It consisted of Apple Juice, Water, Worcestershire, Salt & Sugar.

Next I covered the whole roast in yellow mustard.

Last but not least I gave the whole roast a nice coat of a rub whose ingredients will remain a secret.

The roast is now sitting in a plastic bag in my fridge and will be there till early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow it'll get around 14 hours in the smoker, be pulled apart, placed on a bun, topped with bbq sauce and home made coleslaw, and ready to eat.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #122
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^ *slow clap*

I know everyone will say home made burgers are the best and perhaps someone can provide me with a good recipe. However until then, what are the best burgers to buy in your opinion?
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #123
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well the problem with buying burgers is they are pretty small... M&M meats have some a little bigger.

Sometimes just straight beef burger nothing else is pretty darn good.

I have fond memories of buying burgers from Master Meats at 40th ave & Center st. but that was 25 years ago, I just checked and the place is still there. A butcher shop should sell some nice burgers. Something that will fit a soft kaiser bun.

If this place is anything like it used to be, go there people, Prime rib burgers...

Major Selection, wow !

Other Hamburger Patties

Pork, Turkey, Ostrich, Wild Boar, Buffalo, Elk, Lamb

http://www.mastermeats.com/index.php...&id=2&Itemid=2

Nice butt WPG (when was the last time you heard that)

Last edited by Pinner; 04-28-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #124
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

That pork looks phenomenal. Thanks for the documentation. You'll have to update us with how it turns out.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #125
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm too far away Komskies, your going to have to try out Master Meats and give us a review... I'm about 10hrs away.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #126
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
^^^ *slow clap*

I know everyone will say home made burgers are the best and perhaps someone can provide me with a good recipe. However until then, what are the best burgers to buy in your opinion?
I make them like this:

1 pkg Lean ground beef, 1 egg, 1 tbs of Dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of onion bullseye bbq sauce, 5 or 6 shakes of Worcestershire (sp?) sauce, add bread crumbs until it's not so goopy.

The real trick is this, ball up the beef and start to form a patty. Once you got it to the size you want, start to pinch the edges like you're making a pizza crust. At the center of the patty, poke your finger about half way through. These two things will keep your home made pattys from shriveling up like hamburger nuggets on the grill.

Put them in the freezer and go start your grill. I found getting them really cold helps to keep the together a bit.

On the grill, you can use the dent made by your finger to tell when to flip. Once the dent is filled with juice, flip 'em.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #127
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone has tried making their own smoker. I found these plans and they seem very simple and I think it would be kinda neat to just make my own rather then buy one. Also I live in a condo and well if I make it out of a trash can I can pretend it is just a trash can instead of a smoker if anyone asks. As a side note my patio is 20' by 10' so I have room to spare and will be making a base for it so it does not actually contact the floor of my patio.

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #128
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
^^^ *slow clap*

My absolute FAVOURITE burgers are the Kirkland Signature frozen burgers you get at Costco (in the fridges section).
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #129
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried making their own smoker.
Old fridges used to be the norm, but then you wonder how healthy is it to heat things up and cook food in them when they weren't designed to do that. ?

A galvanized can could gas off some things like lead, zinc etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #130
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried making their own smoker. I found these plans and they seem very simple and I think it would be kinda neat to just make my own rather then buy one. Also I live in a condo and well if I make it out of a trash can I can pretend it is just a trash can instead of a smoker if anyone asks. As a side note my patio is 20' by 10' so I have room to spare and will be making a base for it so it does not actually contact the floor of my patio.

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
The issue would be creating something that can manage airflow so that you can control the temperature.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #131
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
The issue would be creating something that can manage airflow so that you can control the temperature.
No, creating a couple vents would be easy, keeping the lead/zinc out of your dinner would be the issue...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #132
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ped up some ribs on the weekend with a brown sugar rub, and then as they were resting, I threw on a honey/brown sugar glase.

i think they were my best ribs ever.......

somwhere above someone asked about burgers - bearspaw burgers from m&m and top notch eating.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #133
wpgflamesfan

Exp:

Pulled Pork Update:

So after heading out to watch the Canadiens/Caps game with some buddies from school and having a bit too much to drink, I somehow managed to muster up the strength to get up at 6:00am and get this baby started. I was really surprised at how well the roast held the brine as there was almost no liquid in the bag after the roast was removed. Anyway, after getting the smoker heated up and letting the meat come to room temperature I put the roast inside.

I'll probably give it about 5 hours of smoke, then shut the smoke generator off and just let the heat do the work.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #134
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Pulled Pork Update:

So after heading out to watch the Canadiens/Caps game with some buddies from school and having a bit too much to drink, I somehow managed to muster up the strength to get up at 6:00am and get this baby started. I was really surprised at how well the roast held the brine as there was almost no liquid in the bag after the roast was removed. Anyway, after getting the smoker heated up and letting the meat come to room temperature I put the roast inside.

I'll probably give it about 5 hours of smoke, then shut the smoke generator off and just let the heat do the work.
Sweet unit you have there. What flavor of wood are you using for the smoke?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #135
wpgflamesfan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Sweet unit you have there. What flavor of wood are you using for the smoke?
Apple for the most part. I had to throw in a bit of Cherry cause it was all I had left.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #136
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weber's website has pretty good grilling tips and grilling guides. Very handy if you are unsure how long to keep something on the grill for and at what temperature.

http://www.weber.com/grillout/GrillingTips.aspx
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #137
wpgflamesfan

Exp:

Pulled Pork Final Update:

So while the smoker was doing its magic I whipped up some home made coleslaw with a nice buttermilk dressing.

I then headed off the University to go get one of my finals remarked. Upon returning home I was surprised to see that the internal temperature was just a few degrees shy of what I was looking for. I was sure this was gonna take a bit longer but I decided to pull it out anyway to make sure I didn't over cook it. This is what came out.

So not wanting all the juice to flow out, I employed the legendary FTC resting technique (Foil,Towel,Cooler)

After just over an hour in the cooler it was time to get pulling. 20 minutes and a few burnt fingers later I was left with this glorious sight.

I toasted up the buns, got the sauce and slaw out of the fridge and assembled what was the best pulled pork sandwich I've made to date.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #138
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I respect you.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #139
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Awesome wpgflamesfan! FTC FTW.

I also have a Bradley and will try to remember to take photos of my next baby back ribs and post here. I have yet to try a pork butt but your pictures inspire me that I could do it!

Question: Have you ever tried Iceman's rub?

2nd Question: How much brine for a 9 lb roast?

Last edited by Kjesse; 04-30-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #140
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I tried a brisket for the first time the other day, not ever having smoked brisket before I wasn't sure how it turned out So I threw the brisket on the smoker at 200 degrees and let er cook for around 16 hours unil the IT got up to 190 degrees. Took it out and used the FTC method for 2-3 hours. Sliced it up and MEH, it was tender cooked perfect but lacked the taste I was expecting. SO the next day I cut up some left over brisket and throw it in a croak pot with some onion soup mix, water, mustard and BBQ sauce. Let it slow cook for 4-5 hours and had the best beef on the bun ever. Not sure I will try another brisket in the near future, but will experiment with my rubs.

The meat stalled for about 4 hours, meaning the temperature stalled at 160 degrees and never moved up or down. Pretty weird to watch the temerature just hover there, I knew this was going to happen (read about it, never saw it) I checked my thermometer a few times
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber