Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #381
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Let me try to put it another way before everybody gets all pissy with me.

What does this outfit communicate to you? Does it not tell you a bunch of stuff about this person without ever talking to him?

NSFW!

Feel free to dress however you want. Just be aware of what your fashion choices are communicating to other people.

And if you're wearing superhero tees in your 40s you might be saying something about yourself that you don't necessarily intend. Maybe ask someone that you trust what they think of your style choices and what it says about you. You might be surprised and not like what they have to say.
That example is quite extreme. Of course that guy looks like a dbag, but I get the feeling that’s what he was going for.

I don’t think wearing a superhero shirt, especially in this day and age is as big of a faux pas or personality statement as you think it is. With maybe a few exceptions like if you’re a bodybuilder and you walk around in a hulk compression shirt all day acting all agro.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #382
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is anyone else reading this thread wondering why so many grown men are wearing jeans so often? I'm not trying to judge by saying that, but I have worn jeans maybe 4 or 5 times since I hit my late 30's.

If I'm out somewhere, it's khakis (variety of neutral colors including navy or dark brown) or nice shorts (essential Florida wear), the occasional corduroy, and dress pants for nicer events. Shirts are anything from polos to oxford button downs to full dress shirts. NEVER t-shirts in public. Shoes are anything from boat shoes or loafers to quality dress shoes. Never running shoes or anything like Vans. Nice sandals only on the really hot days.

If I need something extremely casual or active, it's usually t-shirts and athletic wear with running shoes, but that's only for doing something active or bumming around the house.

It might sound snobbish or uppity, but it's not meant to be. I just don't feel comfortable in jeans anymore, even if they're nice jeans. I guess I just feel like I want to dress my age and not worry about looking overly stylish or trendy. Am I alone in this?

I think this is painting things with too broad a brush. You know as well as anyone else that a guy wearing a pair of faded out, baggy jeans and a Superman t-shirt isn’t the same as a guy toning down a sport jacket and Oxford shirt with a well-fitted pair of dark jeans and loafers.

It may also just be a regional thing, as Florida and Alberta have very different climates, and thus what’s considered appropriate will depend on that.

I do a lot of backpacking, and I can honestly say I’d never leave for a trip without a good pair of jeans. I wore them a ton in the UK and Central/Eastern Europe where they were a pragmatic choice for the weather, and hardly at all in Italy and southern Spain where most everyone was wearing light-coloured shorts or Chinos.

IMO they’re an extremely versatile garment, provided you buy the right pair.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #383
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Let me try to put it another way before everybody gets all pissy with me.

What does this outfit communicate to you? Does it not tell you a bunch of stuff about this person without ever talking to him?

Feel free to dress however you want. Just be aware of what your fashion choices are communicating to other people.

And if you're wearing superhero tees in your 40s you might be saying something about yourself that you don't necessarily intend. Maybe ask someone that you trust what they think of your style choices and what it says about you. You might be surprised and not like what they have to say.
Yeah, but you have to realize for a lot of people the wardrobes that you guys have been advocating for get a similar reaction. There are a lot of us that feel like jeans and superhero shirts are the normal dress and people that spend 700 bucks on jeans are representing some pretty negative things.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #384
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I like how it went from “Guys I don’t know about jeans” to “See the guy in the Ed Hardy shirt with a sideways hat? See?? It’s what you communicate!”

Like yeah, you can end up looking like a d-bag if you dress like a d-bag. But this not relevant to a conversation about jeans. Jeans are worn by blue collar, white collar, hipsters, frumpy dads, fashion models, cowboys, etc etc. Wearing jeans doesn’t not make you look like any of those things, even though all of those people might wear jeans.

That’s like saying to wearing a suit makes you look like a rich white collar professional. It’s not true, as there are dozens of factors that go into it, you could be wearing a zoot suit for all I know.

Suggesting wearing any version of a broad staple like jeans “says something about you” is obtuse.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #385
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way CPF described his wardrobe, I would half expect a polo playing well-to-do chap complaining about the footwear of a fellow country club patron.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #386
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The way CPF described his wardrobe, I would half expect a polo playing well-to-do chap complaining about the footwear of a fellow country club patron.
I just pictured a schlubby chiropractor who shops at Jos Banks.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #387
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I just pictured a schlubby chiropractor who shops at Jos Banks.
yes,

and no.

Again, I'm not trying to piss anyone off, and I certainly wasn't trying to conflate Ed Hardy with any normal dress. I'm only trying to make the point that what you wear communicates a lot to the rest of the world, more than whatever comes out of your mouth. It's just something to consider when picking your outfits. Think about what the clothes say and then be comfortable with the image you are putting out there.

I was bristling against the idea that anyone should wear whatever they feel because there's no such thing as age appropriate clothing, or that it doesn't matter. I don't have time to go into every example, but there are a lot of people dressing too young for their age, and to be air, maybe I'm dressing too old for my age by not wearing jeans. However, if people see me that way, I'm completely comfortable with that.

I should also mention that context matters a LOT in the choice of clothing. For example, the super hero tee:

1. Wearing it to a barbecue. Amazing! Great choice.
2. Wearing it on a date. Yeesh, not ideal, but it may depend on the social setting and person you're going after.
3. Wearing it to a wedding. Yeah dude, you screwed up.

The right clothes for the right occasion or setting.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #388
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You say that like you're revealing some hidden truth. Are you under the impression that someone who likes wearing superhero tees is unaware that they're not appropriate to wear to a wedding?

... Yeah man. We know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #389
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You say that like you're revealing some hidden truth. Are you under the impression that someone who likes wearing superhero tees is unaware that they're not appropriate to wear to a wedding?

... Yeah man. We know.
You say that, but I've seen it. He had a button down on top, but it was unbuttoned so you could see it underneath. Casual summer wedding, I know, but that was a line too far for me.

Maybe it's just that one incident that made me respond at all. I don't know.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #390
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You say that, but I've seen it. He had a button down on top, but it was unbuttoned so you could see it underneath. Casual summer wedding, I know, but that was a line too far for me.

Maybe it's just that one incident that made me respond at all. I don't know.
Was he wearing Vans too?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #391
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Was he wearing Vans too?
Yes, but weirdly enough they were black and worked really well with the outfit. I could hardly even tell that they weren't dress shoes.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #392
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You say that, but I've seen it. He had a button down on top, but it was unbuttoned so you could see it underneath. Casual summer wedding, I know, but that was a line too far for me
That was actually Clark Kent, and he should've buttoned it all the way up. Maybe next time be chill instead of blabbing about it all over the internet.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #393
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeans are just fine, but specifically I'm a fan of dark dressy denim. Not really fond of the lighter shades, and don't get me started on the 'pre-worn' jeans you get at places like A&F with holes and wear from the factory. That's like buying brand new tires with 3/4 of the tread worn down already.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #394
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like my tires with the belts showing.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #395
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I like my tires with the belts showing.
Translation: Pants optional, bitches!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #396
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Related question -- I was on vacation and saw more than one person wearing shorts (probably khakis, didn't really notice) but also a long sleeve button down dress shirt. One guy had the sleeves rolled up a few inches, but another guy had the full sleeve going. Both went untucked.

Is this a thing? The last thing I would want to wear with shorts is a long sleeve dress shirt, but that's just me...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #397
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Related question -- I was on vacation and saw more than one person wearing shorts (probably khakis, didn't really notice) but also a long sleeve button down dress shirt. One guy had the sleeves rolled up a few inches, but another guy had the full sleeve going. Both went untucked.

Is this a thing? The last thing I would want to wear with shorts is a long sleeve dress shirt, but that's just me...
Were you at a beach? Maybe you saw people attending a beach wedding.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #398
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are long-sleeve button-up 'dressy' shirts that are made specifically to be untucked (and as a result look awful when they are tucked). Were these shirts cut to be tucked or untucked? If the front shirt tail ended at or just before the crotch of the shorts, it was meant to be tucked. Straight or "tailed" hem doesn't always tell the whole story since both can be made to be worn untucked (though -- generally -- the hem is a good indicator).

Shorts and a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled... again, if the shirt has a cut that works for wearing it untucked, then I don't really see it being a big deal.

But a long sleeve dress shirt with the sleeves at full length and shorts? That sounds awful to wear especially if it's hot enough to wear shorts.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #399
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It’s a thing. But it’s god awful.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #400
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
There are long-sleeve button-up 'dressy' shirts that are made specifically to be untucked (and as a result look awful when they are tucked). Were these shirts cut to be tucked or untucked? If the front shirt tail ended at or just before the crotch of the shorts, it was meant to be tucked. Straight or "tailed" hem doesn't always tell the whole story since both can be made to be worn untucked (though -- generally -- the hem is a good indicator).

Shorts and a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled... again, if the shirt has a cut that works for wearing it untucked, then I don't really see it being a big deal.

But a long sleeve dress shirt with the sleeves at full length and shorts? That sounds awful to wear especially if it's hot enough to wear shorts.

It was a straighter hem, so it didn't look slopppy or anything. I just can't fathom why you would wear a long sleeve dress shirt versus a collared polo/golf shirt or even a more casual long sleeve shirt if you didn't want to be cold. My first thought is that all he must have in his closet are long sleeved dress shirts...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote