Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #301
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I still think the Flames next captain is Sean Monahan.

The Flames have been grooming him for the position since the day he was drafted, and everything in how he has been handled indicates that the team views him as a permanent fixture.
They may have been grooming him since day 1 but 3 years later they nailed their second 6th overall pick in a row and drafted the guy who should be the next captain and that is Tkachuk.

If Gio left today I think Tkachuk gets the C
Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #302
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chucky won’t be here long enough to be captain. He’ll probably end up back in the USA before his next contract is up
Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #303
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Chucky won’t be here long enough to be captain. He’ll probably end up back in the USA before his next contract is up
Seems to be the favourite narrative this offseason. Everybody wants to leave the Flames and nobody wants to extend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #304
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Seems to be the favourite narrative this offseason. Everybody wants to leave the Flames and nobody wants to extend.
On this subject, who has Treliving failed to keep that he really wanted to keep?

I think the list begins and ends with Fox.

He already signed Johnny once - as long as he keeps building a solid team, there's a good chance our American players re-sign again.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #305
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He'll be here 5 years anyway. That's long enough to become captain.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #306
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It’s a very real risk, particularly with American-born stars whose families are still rooted in the US. If you want to bury your head in the sand about the ongoing leaking of talent from Canadian markets, feel free. The writing is on the wall for anyone to see, and the Flames are not alone in this.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #307
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Why would Tkachuk be desperate to play in the US? His brother plays in Canada too. His family is rich and visits all the time. Tkachuk is not your average American. He was born into an nhl family. He knows hockey is #1 in Canada. He isn’t scared of the limelight and the pressure like some Americans are. Some players like playing in hockey hotbeds where hockey is #1. I would guess Tkachuk is one of those. He WANTED to get drafted by Calgary.

Why are some so convinced he’d bolt at the first opportunity? I can see why many think Gaudreau will want to return to the eastern US. I think Tkachuk has very different thoughts and plans than Gaudreau.

Assuming all US players are desperate to return home is a pretty bad assumption. Conroy for example came back to Calgary and now calls it home.

Are some of you just into fear mongering? Or love the chicken little sky is falling narratives? Are some of you just pessimists at heart?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-27-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #308
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I can see where MT would probably like to play in St. Louis as his family home is there now and his dad is a Blues scout, but not just any place in the US just because he is an American.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #309
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess Crosby, McKinnon, Toews, Stamkos etc. all don’t have that narrative of wanting to play for their home country
Old 06-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #310
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Why would Tkachuk be desperate to play in the US? His brother plays in Canada too. His family is rich and visits all the time. Tkachuk is not your average American. He was born into an nhl family. He knows hockey is #1 in Canada. He isn’t scared of the limelight and the pressure like some Americans are. Some players like playing in hockey hotbeds where hockey is #1. I would guess Tkachuk is one of those. He WANTED to get drafted by Calgary.
He also moved to play Junior in London, Ontario.
My guess is that he is aiming to be the next Flames Captain.

Max Ehrmann
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #311
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any argument about an American not wanting to play in Calgary should start and end with one name: Craig Conroy.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #312
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why are some so convinced he’d bolt at the first opportunity? I can see why many think Gaudreau will want to return to the eastern US. I think Tkachuk has very different thoughts and plans than Gaudreau.

Assuming all US players are desperate to return home is a pretty bad assumption. Conroy for example came back to Calgary and now calls it home.

Are some of you just into fear mongering? Or love the chicken little sky is falling narratives? Are some of you just pessimists at heart?
And his moms a winnipegger
Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #313
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would love for Chucky and Johnny to finish their careers in Calgary but the word on here is that they are looking to go back to the USA as soon as their contracts are up.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #314
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would love for Chucky and Johnny to finish their careers in Calgary but the word on here is that they are looking to go back to the USA as soon as their contracts are up.
On where? CP? That is pure speculation. I have yet to see or hear any legit source that knows either of those things. I mean Johnny said playing for the Flyers someday would be cool but so does every single hockey player ever asked if they would like to play for their hometown team someday. He has also said he loves Calgary and wants to be there but everybody loves to leave that out, less drama.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #315
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hi There, And Welcome To Calgary Puck!! Your "Jump To Conclusions" mat is over there, and your umbrella for the inevitable is by the bomb shelter door.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #316
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you Eric Francis?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #317
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Any argument about an American not wanting to play in Calgary should start and end with one name: Craig Conroy.
Or Joel Otto.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #318
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It’s a very real risk, particularly with American-born stars whose families are still rooted in the US. If you want to bury your head in the sand about the ongoing leaking of talent from Canadian markets, feel free. The writing is on the wall for anyone to see, and the Flames are not alone in this.
Please tell me more about the “ongoing leaking of talent from Canadian markets.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #319
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On where? CP? That is pure speculation. I have yet to see or hear any legit source that knows either of those things. I mean Johnny said playing for the Flyers someday would be cool but so does every single hockey player ever asked if they would like to play for their hometown team someday. He has also said he loves Calgary and wants to be there but everybody loves to leave that out, less drama.

I was in a bar with some Philly bloggers after the draft and this came up. Their rebuttal to the "Johnny to Philly in three years" chatter? Will the Flyers have the cap room to give him what he wants? Will the team be any good? Will he even want to be playing in a situation where he's under the microscope in his hometown so much?

They were extremely skeptical that it happens.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #320
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I was in a bar with some Philly bloggers after the draft and this came up. Their rebuttal to the "Johnny to Philly in three years" chatter? Will the Flyers have the cap room to give him what he wants? Will the team be any good? Will he even want to be playing in a situation where he's under the microscope in his hometown so much?

They were extremely skeptical that it happens.
There you have it. Yet another indication that all online fan bases are are as cynical, defeatist and quick to panic as we are here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread