Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #2381
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played night glow golf for the first time last night. It was an interesting experience hitting a glowing golf ball down the fairway. You had large glowing lighted bulbs for tee markers and some large green glow sticks lining the fairway. The green was surrounded with flashing green sticks and a lighted flag stick.

The best part was seeing the flight of your golf ball as it flies through the air.

An example of the ball we used.

An example of the game being played

Old 09-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #2382
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Played night glow golf for the first time last night. It was an interesting experience hitting a glowing golf ball down the fairway. You had large glowing lighted bulbs for tee markers and some large green glow sticks lining the fairway. The green was surrounded with flashing green sticks and a lighted flag stick.

The best part was seeing the flight of your golf ball as it flies through the air.

An example of the ball we used.

An example of the game being played

That would be so cool. Where did you play?

Surprised no one has mentioned silverwing. I think I could tear my lawn up and leave it for 3 months and it would still look better than those fairways. Unplayable.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #2383
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

4-pw M4 set was on for $650 right now. Take it or wait for Black Friday/Boxing Day?
That's a pretty good price for a new set of irons.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #2384
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
That would be so cool. Where did you play?

Surprised no one has mentioned silverwing. I think I could tear my lawn up and leave it for 3 months and it would still look better than those fairways. Unplayable.
Nanton golf course. My golf pro went and spent about $700 for the complete kit and plans to make it an annual event in September. We had 36 golfers signed up for the 9 hole event and everyone agreed they'd do it again next year.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #2385
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm finally trying the new Mickelson course tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it doesn't rain.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #2386
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Played there last summer and it was a complete dump. I dont think I'd even play a round of drunk golf there. Its terrible.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #2387
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Played there last summer and it was a complete dump. I dont think I'd even play a round of drunk golf there. Its terrible.
You can't grow grass on muskeg/peat which is what's underneath the fairways. It dries out in the summer and kills the grass. They need to dig it up and truck in some actual soil.

It sucks because it's a decent layout and there aren't a pile of courses in the NE.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #2388
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can get really cheap green fees, but that is really the only positive.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #2389
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wait.. those are normal conditions for it?!

We were under the impression that they've had a really tough year.

You could pick any park in the city and have better grass, jesus.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #2390
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, 83 today, two better than my previous best. Things are really coming together. One thing that frustrates me so much is my inability to play well without a good pace. Most golf rounds have you waiting at each hole so it's not acceptable to just not shoot well those rounds.

As soon as it's great pace like today (literally no one in front the whole round) I just lock in and start hitting the green on second shot (par 4's)almost every shot. During normal backed up rounds I have a lot more crappy drives and even worse, it's the waiting in the fairway that tends to lead to just **** approach shots.

I just can't for the life of me stay in the zone and shoot consistently. Anyone have any tips?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #2391
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No one can keep their focus for the entire 4 or 5 hours. They key is the 30 seconds or so before you hit. Get into your routine and that's where you start focusing. Enjoy the walk in between shots. Let your mind wander, shoot the sh*t with your buddies, whatever. But when it's time to hit, turn the focus back on.

As an example, if I am waiting to hit second shot onto the green, I am not even pulling a club out of the bag until it's time to get into routine. Only when the green is cleared (or clearing) will I pull the club and get ready to go.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #2392
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
No one can keep their focus for the entire 4 or 5 hours. They key is the 30 seconds or so before you hit. Get into your routine and that's where you start focusing. Enjoy the walk in between shots. Let your mind wander, shoot the sh*t with your buddies, whatever. But when it's time to hit, turn the focus back on.

As an example, if I am waiting to hit second shot onto the green, I am not even pulling a club out of the bag until it's time to get into routine. Only when the green is cleared (or clearing) will I pull the club and get ready to go.
This is so key. That preswing routine is a great way to get your mind ready but you still have to be present. And if the preswing routine gets interrupted you can't get frustrated.

I have a friend who just started golfing. Athletic guy, but swing is a little stiff and not amazing. I can hit all my clubs farther and generally have a better short game at our best. But he consistently hits 5-10 strokes better than me. 5-10! It's because he's so cerebral and NEVER shanks a ball. His misses are minor swing mechanics, not missed contact.

Needless to say he's been helping me with focus. I think part of it is thinking about the landing area, wind, lie, where to avoid, etc, as it gets the concentration going for the shot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #2393
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You can't grow grass on muskeg/peat which is what's underneath the fairways. It dries out in the summer and kills the grass. They need to dig it up and truck in some actual soil.

It sucks because it's a decent layout and there aren't a pile of courses in the NE.
The soil isn’t great but it’s be manageable if their water wasn’t so terrible and the owners so cheap. They’re basically just stormwater runoff from the roads and airport so whatever is having trouble growing in the soil will be finished off With the salty water. There are ways of amending that as well but it would take money.

If anybody has had the displeasure of playing Redtail Landing in the past few years they’re basically dealing with the same thing. Crap water makes it impossible to recover from winter kill just by seeding but that’s all the crew is given the budget for. Carnmoney would be an example of a place that also has bad water and less than great soil but money was spent to help mitigate it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #2394
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried Mickelson National today and it looks like a really nice course but it is a pretty ridiculous design. I did not have a single flat lie during my ten holes and there is not a single flat green out there. Some of the contours on the greens are almost comical. I talked to the attendant a bit afterwards as he was asking about the round. I told him that I expected the course to be similar to the Springbank back nine which is mostly flat with some contouring. The attendant told me that the land started out pretty flat and they did a lot of work to shape the course. In my opinion they went too far. It is fun and challenging but I see it more as a course you would want to play once or twice a year as opposed to regularly with a membership.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #2395
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Tried Mickelson National today and it looks like a really nice course but it is a pretty ridiculous design. I did not have a single flat lie during my ten holes and there is not a single flat green out there. Some of the contours on the greens are almost comical. I talked to the attendant a bit afterwards as he was asking about the round. I told him that I expected the course to be similar to the Springbank back nine which is mostly flat with some contouring. The attendant told me that the land started out pretty flat and they did a lot of work to shape the course. In my opinion they went too far. It is fun and challenging but I see it more as a course you would want to play once or twice a year as opposed to regularly with a membership.
You haven't played heritage pointe then have you haha. Talk about bad lies.

When we were at Mickelson on the long weekend they had the greens a bit long so we did not find the issues you had. Were they very fast?

I only find the greens difficult if they are crazy fast and undulating but at the expensive of reception. Like Serenity when you can land a 9 iron shot on the front of the green and it rolls off the back..

Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #2396
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You haven't played heritage pointe then have you haha. Talk about bad lies.

When we were at Mickelson on the long weekend they had the greens a bit long so we did not find the issues you had. Were they very fast?

I only find the greens difficult if they are crazy fast and undulating but at the expensive of reception. Like Serenity when you can land a 9 iron shot on the front of the green and it rolls off the back..
Back in 2003/2004 I played Heritage Pointe regularly. I would do 40 or 50 rounds a year there. Heritage Pointe is not even close to shaping and sculpting that occurred at Mickelson.

The greens were pretty short, very soft and squishy and pretty inconsistent for speed. I had putts that were right on for weight and some that came up 5 feet short or went 10 feet long. There was on putt, on the second last hole we played, which was that par 3 with the huge sand trap along the right side, where I had to putt the ball off the green to play the break properly. While the greens were soft, large and rolled smoothly there was way too much sculpting. There were some weird knobs and mounds that I felt weren't necessary. One green that we walked passed but didn't play had a 16 inch "wave" running across the middle. It looked like a speed bump across the green. Visually the contouring looks cool but it is not a lot of fun.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #2397
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. Only time i've heard bad things about the Mickleson course.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #2398
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe i don't know what i am talking about here, but in my opinion if you can hit a shot to the middle of the fairway in the landing area your reward most of the time should be a relatively flat lie

was supposed to be playing carmoney today thru work relationships - but hings changed and we had to shut the game down
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #2399
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
maybe i don't know what i am talking about here, but in my opinion if you can hit a shot to the middle of the fairway in the landing area your reward most of the time should be a relatively flat lie

was supposed to be playing carmoney today thru work relationships - but hings changed and we had to shut the game down
I totally agree. I played Silvertip a few years ago and that was one of my main dislikes. I felt like I would hit it down the fairway and if it stayed there (that was another matter), you couldn't get a decent lie. I just feel like that's unfair.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #2400
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as wacked out greens go, if anyone has the chance to play Trestle Creek, about an hour or so west of Edmonton, do it. Some of the craziest greens I've ever seen.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow