Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #81
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad’s a legendary idiot letting a talent like this walk to free agency.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #82
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Gio, Valimaki, Bennett, Monahan, Byron, Hathaway... probably a few more I am missing. Lots of wasted assets.

A couple of wizardly trades don't make up for that IMO.

He was competent. I'll never get all the love he gets here sometimes.

Until the tell all books get written in 20 years, he'll always be remembered for losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Outside of this forum, that will be his Flames legacy.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 10:20 PM   #83
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll never look at a bridge deal the same way again.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 10:22 PM   #84
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Gio, Valimaki, Bennett, Monahan, Byron, Hathaway... probably a few more I am missing. Lots of wasted assets.

A couple of wizardly trades don't make up for that IMO.

He was competent. I'll never get all the love he gets here sometimes.

Until the tell all books get written in 20 years, he'll always be remembered for losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Outside of this forum, that will be his Flames legacy.
And yet he’s the front runner for the Leafs head office. So weird. He should never be near another NHL team.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:23 PM   #85
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah.

They are concerned about Matthews staying so bring in the guy who lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau

Plus handed Florida 2/3 of the top line that eliminated the Leafs

Lol
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 11:45 PM   #86
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a very similar feeling about Matt Tkachuk as I do about thinking "man I should really buy some NVDA" about three weeks ago.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:00 AM   #87
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy for Tkachuk and Bennett. What a run.

At the same time, a total disaster for Treliving and the Flames. It’s a good thing Tre quit when he did, can you imagine the scrutiny he would be under now if he was still GM.

The only bright side for Flames fans is that you have to hope that Huberdeau uses this as inspiration to be an absolute beast next year to prove he was worth what the Flames gave up.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:03 AM   #88
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I feel no bitterness toward Tkachuk in the same way I don't resent Fox.

It's a business, and guys should make decisions in their own interests. Both of those chaps are living their best lives in their chosen cities. Sucks for the Flames, but there's a lesson in it too when it comes to future signings/negotiations: look out for number one.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 12:09 AM   #89
johnnyhockey13
Farm Team Player

Exp:

johnnyhockey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:26 AM   #90
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Interesting stat: Wayne Gretzky has 4 overtime playoff goals in 38 overtime playoff appearances. Matthew Tkachuk has 3 in only 11.

Edit for source: https://records.nhl.com/records/play...career-playoff

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-25-2023 at 12:39 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:38 AM   #91
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think many things went into his decision but seeing the best line in the NHL get broken up for good was probably the catalyst to making a final decision to not return. COVID, certainly location, taxes....all probably played a part.

I dont think it is a coincidence that JG flies the coop and a couple weeks later MT informs his bosses he wont be resigning with them even though negotiations had been happening with his agent.
This is why - albeit a stomach punch - I still love Tkachuk despite him leaving, but Johnny can pound sand. He started this whole mess with his chicanery.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:16 AM   #92
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post
This will go down as the greatest trade in Panthers history
It is now, and for the Flames maybe worst than the Gilmore trade
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:35 AM   #93
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
yep, tons of teams have bridged players and not lost them...how many top players ask out of a first place team one year prior to UFA?

guy facked us over big time its not all the GM's fault

really he probably would have asked for a trade if he had 5 years left on his deal too and squeezed more money out of the Flames in the process anyway

Guy said he wanted to re-sign last may, he was obviously misleading everyone
If you want the organisation to repeat the same mistakes over and over, this, right here is exactly the right attitude.

Watching a bonafide superstar score three game winning goals to take his team into the final less than a year after leaving our team while his line mate (also an ex-Flame) inflicts mayhem all over the ice hurts like hell.

If what you are seeing night after night doesn’t give you the slap in the face that wakes you up to how terribly managed the Flames have been and where ALL the fault lies - well I don’t know what to say to you.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 01:37 AM   #94
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Tkachuk wanted out because this organization treated him like second fiddle. We bridged him instead of giving him a large contract showing what his worth was to us. We made others the leaders instead of him. The team thought he was immature instead of standing up for him in that famous on-ice incident. We brought in a head coach that refused to play him in overtime, pushed his buttons, and they didn't get along.

If you look at the Panthers today, they have basically all adopted Matthew Tkachuks' attitude where they play as hard as possible, pester as much as possible, run off the ice in celebration, and don't care about the do's and don'ts of the old school league - they even carried the Prince of Wales trophy around the ice with swagger after the win.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:47 AM   #95
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Leafs interview him for GM and hear him explain himself. I don't know how he can make himself sound good when they inevitably ask him to break everything down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Tkachuk wanted out because this organization treated him like second fiddle. We bridged him instead of giving him a large contract showing what his worth was to us. We made others the leaders instead of him. The team thought he was immature instead of standing up for him in that famous on-ice incident. We brought in a head coach that refused to play him in overtime, pushed his buttons, and they didn't get along.

If you look at the Panthers today, they have basically all adopted Matthew Tkachuks' attitude where they play as hard as possible, pester as much as possible, run off the ice in celebration, and don't care about the do's and don'ts of the old school league - they even carried the Prince of Wales trophy around the ice with swagger after the win.
Totally agree with this take. I think he probably has an ego and the Flames didn't feed it. I don't think having an ego is a bad thing when you can live up to it, which he certainly did. The Flames badly mismanaged this talent, which they did a few times under Treliving, but this one hurts the most.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:56 AM   #96
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Leafs interview him for GM and hear him explain himself. I don't know how he can make himself sound good when they inevitably ask him to break everything down.
He can’t.

Terrible coaching hires until one was enforced on him (after the game passed that coach by) and contract handling that will leave a lasting legacy for years to come has been his contribution to Calgary.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 03:08 AM   #97
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Totally agree with this take. I think he probably has an ego and the Flames didn't feed it. I don't think having an ego is a bad thing when you can live up to it, which he certainly did. The Flames badly mismanaged this talent, which they did a few times under Treliving, but this one hurts the most.
Good organizations recognize their young talented players and lock them down instead of the motto of "just another player" team first only attitude, the Flames have seemingly failed in that department for years, from Gilmore, Fleury to Savard, even Iggy had to leave to chase a dream. from years of meddling bad ownership, 9 years of Treliving trying his best to be a "dragon" like his dad by by low-balling contestants(players) almost makes me want a dummy like Feaster

Pathetic really, if you take the rose colored glasses off it's hard to be a fan.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

It's hard to say if he truly wanted to stay with the Flames for most of his career. It's pretty clear he really loves the sun and sand in Florida and COVID did any favors for Canadian teams dealing with US born players close to free agency. I do think Treliving would have preferred to get a long term deal done but he put himself in a bind with his cap management that left bit to be desired.

As for Tkachuk he really was immature in lot of his Flames tenure and Florida is getting the 25 year old version of him and not the early 20's version that was maybe overly fixated on being a pest and it's largely on him that he wasn't a factor in the playoffs for the Flames. From the Flames point of view he was a really skilled guy that hadn't elevated his game in the playoffs so while it's easy to criticize Treliving in hindsight, at the time he was another underachieving Flame in the playoffs.

You will get no argument from me that Treliving badly mismanaged both the Tkachuk and Gaudreau situations but both players at the end of the day preferred to play in the US and going forward the Flames are simply going to have to do the approach being used by teams like Buffalo in locking up their young core guys early where they are betting on the player which trades the risk of losing them as UFA for the risk that their development may stall.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:44 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way the offseason has unfolded I am certainly happy that we have Conroy in place and have moved on from Brad. The Treebuild officially failed when he couldn’t build around the 2 best players from the post-Iginla era. Everything else he did last summer was a knee jerk reaction and has quite possibly set this organization back several years if Huberdeau and Kadri are not both significantly better next year and beyond.

I know it is hindsight and I was guilty of loving the summer or Brad but in reality once Chucky moved on the team should have focused on a rebuild return and then punt Treliving at the start of the year and had Conroy strip it down and start a proper rebuild.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:50 AM   #100
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wonder if Tkachuk will take the Conn Smythe.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!