Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #21
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy for Byron. Would have loved him back, but we couldn’t have paid that money for him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Happy for Byron. Would have loved him back, but we couldn’t have paid that money for him.
That and there is no spot for him.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #23
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Way to go James!
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #24
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Is it just me or does this seem like 3X too much money for at least 2 years too long?

It’s likely just you.

An energy guy why scores 20 goals and 40 Points with little PP time and kills penalties.

You think he’s worth about $1.4M per season on a short term deal?

don’t think so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #25
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

happy for him, he's a good player
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #26
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it just me or does this seem like 3X too much money for at least 2 years too long?
I finally realized that Brad Treliving is actually a member her at CP.....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byron is a hard player not to like. He was doing well here, and often played in critical situations, including OT. Too bad with how things turned out. Hopefully he can continue to his excellent play under the burden of a bigger contract.

Feaster got few things right but one quote I remember from when he was trying to rationalize the botched Regehr trade. He stated the 2nd round pick they gave up was purely for Byron, and he stated he would trade a 2nd round pick for Byron every day of the week, or something to that effect. Turns out he had that part right.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #28
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncle Feaster was a better GM than he gets credit for.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #29
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let’s all thank the fan made Benny hill remix video that got him noticed by Habs Management

http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/meet-t...n-off-waivers/

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #30
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that is pretty cool that a fan had that big an impact on an NHL player.
Maybe we should do a Johnny video about all the goals he would have scored if he elevated the puck!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #31
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still wary. I know it's in part due to his speed allowing him for higher percentage shots. But since going to Montreal he has by far the highest shooting percentage in the league for goal scorers at over 20%. In that same time frame, Monahan has 14% and Gaudreau has 11%. Those are the Flames top shooting percentages.

Look at Colborne, the year he got 19 goals he had a staggering 19% shooting percentage, and three years later he's out of the league.

If Gaudreau had the same type of shooting percentage, he would have scored over 45 goals last year. Ovechkin would have scored over 70.

Despite being able to produce it for multiple years, I just don't see it being "sustainable." And then there's the fact that last year he did have a favourable situation. Sure, he only got 1:10 PP of ice-time, the same amount that we all lost our #### at for Brouwer having, but he also got to play entirely with Gallagher throughout the year. Who was the Canadiens top point producer.

Everyone loved him because he was a nobody, making peanuts, capable of scoring goals with their best point producer. There was no pressure, and he was having career years. It's not unlike Ferland. Making 3.4M a year and now expected to be a top 6 player could drastically alter his situation he falls back down in the bottom 6, or especially fourth line role, when the Canadiens show a bit more winger depth.

I'm very glad that the Flames didn't sign him to something like this next off-season. With that said, good for him.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #32
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm still wary. I know it's in part due to his speed allowing him for higher percentage shots. But since going to Montreal he has by far the highest shooting percentage in the league for goal scorers at over 20%. In that same time frame, Monahan has 14% and Gaudreau has 11%. Those are the Flames top shooting percentages.

Look at Colborne, the year he got 19 goals he had a staggering 19% shooting percentage, and three years later he's out of the league.

If Gaudreau had the same type of shooting percentage, he would have scored over 45 goals last year. Ovechkin would have scored over 70.

Despite being able to produce it for multiple years, I just don't see it being "sustainable." And then there's the fact that last year he did have a favourable situation. Sure, he only got 1:10 PP of ice-time, the same amount that we all lost our #### at for Brouwer having, but he also got to play entirely with Gallagher throughout the year. Who was the Canadiens top point producer.

Everyone loved him because he was a nobody, making peanuts, capable of scoring goals with their best point producer. There was no pressure, and he was having career years. It's not unlike Ferland. Making 3.4M a year and now expected to be a top 6 player could drastically alter his situation he falls back down in the bottom 6, or especially fourth line role, when the Canadiens show a bit more winger depth.

I'm very glad that the Flames didn't sign him to something like this next off-season. With that said, good for him.

He has done it for over 2 seasons now. I think that’s fairly sustainable unless he runs into injuries.

Last season Byron finished first in the league for percentage of their chances from the slot at 76.5%. He rarely shoots unless he’s in the slot in a prime scoring position, that’s why his shooting percentage is so high.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #33
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
That and there is no spot for him.
Byron's salary may not be great for Calgary, but he'd certainly easy fit into their lineup LOL
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #34
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Byron's salary may not be great for Calgary, but he'd certainly easy fit into their lineup LOL
Not in the top 6 or maybe even 9.... so he doesn’t get the points here that he does in Montreal. Please tell me who he is realistically good enough to replace in our top 9? Meaning he is a significant upgrade.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy for Byron. He's overcome the odds to become a full time NHL player.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #36
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to pick at old wounds....where is Brandon Bollig these days?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #37
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The 2nd round pick that Feaster spent on Byron was better value than the 2nd round pick that Treliving spent on Lazar.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The 2nd round pick that Feaster spent on Byron was better value than the 2nd round pick that Treliving spent on Lazar.
No doubt. Unfortunately the other part of that trade was Regehr and a European bound Kotalik for the incomparable Chris Butler.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #39
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good for Byron. He was one of my favourite Flames to watch during his time here.

I'm still a bit bitter over the decision to keep Bollig (if I'm remembering correctly), over Byron.

I'd take Byron over Stajan, Bouma, F. Hamilton, Glass, Jagr, Grant, Shinkaruk, Raymond, Jones, Hatthaway, Jooris. All of which played at least 10 games in the 3 years since Byron was claimed. Especially last year, he would have been a significant improvement to the bottom 6.
1991 Canadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #40
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You're not getting 20 goals a year for $1 million on the open market.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote