Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #301
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Council just voted on this motion and approved something. It looks like we'll be seeing reduced speed limits, but nothing is finalized yet.

There will be a public consultation phase and a recommendation from city administration as to whether to go to 30 or 40 and to what extent collectors will be included.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1044373424225701888

I stand by my prediction that we'll end up going to 40 on all roads inside neighbourhoods, including collectors.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #302
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree. And to add being in insurance most are not aware that the largest majority of accidents are caused by distracted driving not speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Without beating a dead horse and only because I haven't been able to follow this thread as much as I'd have liked:

Has any councilor come out and commented on Distracted Driving as it pertains to speed limits? Like I said, lowering the limits is like putting a bandage on a compound fracture, sure you'll stop the bleeding somewhat but the bigger issue remains to be left untreated and the outcome remains in limbo.

I've seen people blow through residential doing 70+ but still manage to stop for pedestrians at a crosswalk, and I've seen distracted drivers doing 35-40 but nearly run down a mom and 2 small kids because she was staring at her lap the entire time.

Until we find a real way to enforce distracted driving (more effort and steeper fines) I feel this is a complete waste of resources across the board.

Personally distracted driving should be held to the same standards as driving while intoxicated, in fact distracted drivers hurt/kill more people than people under influence, so where's the line here?

Frankly its a joke how lenient we are, so lets fix that before we worry about 40 vs 50.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #303
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stupid! I used to live in a town where the speed limit is 40. It's annoying.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #304
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind this, if they also upped the highway/freeway speed to 130
Old 09-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #305
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What a shock, they float an idea that pisses most people off and then roll back to a “compromise” at 40, but include more roads to be reduced. And not even considering how their own stats don’t support the need for either measure.

What are the odds we see a blitz in the name of “safety” the day it passes
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #306
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear they're considering helmet usage in cars as well.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #307
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see this is moving forward. 30km/h or 40km/h I'm happy either way. Coincidentally I live in Ward 7.

For all the whining, the study GGG posted is a pretty good read.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ikaris For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #308
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Frankly its a joke how lenient we are, so lets fix that before we worry about 40 vs 50.
It's far easier to enforce speeding than it is to enforce distracted driving, and Druh knows this. The question is now a matter of how long it will take for the increased fine revenue to offset the cost of implementing the plan.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #309
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
Glad to see this is moving forward. 30km/h or 40km/h I'm happy either way. Coincidentally I live in Ward 7.

His study said nothing about harm reduction. It remains an unproven reflex reaction to a problem that may not exist.

This is fluoride all over again. Remove a problem that doesn't exist because you can convince some people in the name of public safety. This isn't safety, it's ignorance.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #310
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reading the twitter thread from that reporter, this would also have a big impact on bus schedules.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #311
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
It's far easier to enforce speeding than it is to enforce distracted driving, and Druh knows this. The question is now a matter of how long it will take for the increased fine revenue to offset the cost of implementing the plan.
Correct and this is going to increase instances of distracted driving. Brutal.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #312
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

And right here is the issue, people supporting things like this based on emotion and not fact. Between 2012 and 2017, less than one pedestrian was killed by a vehicle on a residential road per year. And even then, there is no evidence that shows any of those people would be alive if the limit had been lower.

This won’t stop people from speeding, but it will allow the CPS to jack up fine revenue. Unless people also believe the bull#### notion that people decide that they’ll drive a certain amount over the limit and not what they are comfortable for the road. But now we’ll have a road that you can safely do 60 in a 50 reduced to 30 or 40, no real impact on the number of pedestrian fatalities and a photo radar unit cranking out tickets
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #313
zhulander
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

That study is a joke when you look at the raw numbers overall. Way less dramatic when you report less than 1% > 25mph, 0.1% > 30mph, 1.1% > 35mph. It didn't do much in terms of speed reduction.

pg7: https://www.iihs.org/frontend/iihs/d...s.ashx?id=2168

Last edited by zhulander; 09-24-2018 at 08:32 PM.
zhulander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zhulander For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #314
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
So, Council just voted on this motion and approved something. It looks like we'll be seeing reduced speed limits, but nothing is finalized yet.

There will be a public consultation phase and a recommendation from city administration as to whether to go to 30 or 40 and to what extent collectors will be included.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1044373424225701888

I stand by my prediction that we'll end up going to 40 on all roads inside neighbourhoods, including collectors.
This just further shows the kind of inept morons we have sitting in city hall. Forget that Calgary is a city of a million plus. Let's pretend it's a village.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #315
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
a photo radar unit cranking out tickets
I suspect they'll merely continue to setup on downhill westbound Airport Trail at Deerfoot with not a pedestrian in sight for a country mile, racking up the dollars as they nail out-of-towners. Disgusting.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #316
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
This just further shows the kind of inept morons we have sitting in city hall. Forget that Calgary is a city of a million plus. Let's pretend it's a village.
The largest city in North America, New York City reduced its default speed limit to 25mph (40kph). Not sure what this would have to do with the size of the place.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #317
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I suspect they'll merely continue to setup on downhill westbound Airport Trail at Deerfoot with not a pedestrian in sight for a country mile, racking up the dollars as they nail out-of-towners. Disgusting.
This would not even come close to affecting Deerfoot or Airport Trail. Both are skeletal roads.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #318
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
This would not even come close to affecting Deerfoot or Airport Trail. Both are skeletal roads.
Obviously. What I'm saying is, WB Airport Trail is a stupendously high revenue spot... and despite all these prime new revenue opportunities, they'll probably still be set up on Airport Trail nailing people. So yes, you're right, it will not affect Airport Trail or Deerfoot.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #319
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No they cant still be there, theyll be in the neighborhoods making people safer by making sure everyone is going 30. Right?
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #320
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
No they cant still be there, theyll be in the neighborhoods making people safer by making sure everyone is going 30. Right?
Aren't we already short police? To the extent that there's no way they could sufficiently increase enforcement to generate the necessary revenue for the plan, without also driving their overtime through the roof which would negate the gain anyway?