Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #1961
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just installed Latitude X-Ice 2s on our SUV. They feel as confident as any winter tire I've owned. Maybe the car version isn't as good, but the Latitudes are higher rated than similar spec Blizzaks.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #1962
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to hear such mixed results with the X-Ice. It seems to get great results in the reviews (up there with the Hakkas), but maybe with our winters where it's more about packed ice than snow, it's not as good of a fit.

I think I'll just go with the studded Hakka's then and finally see what the fuss is about.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #1963
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
3 years seems short to me. How often did you guys have to change your tires due to wear?
For a winter tire, not really. I put a lot of miles on them, and it's not like you can run them down to bare tread. At about half tread wear, a winter tire loses it's advantage, so I typically change to a new set around that time.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #1964
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not mixed results, it's mixed feeling. They may get similar test scores in terms of stopping distance and the like, but there's something to be said for a feeling of stability.

The flip side is, if you're mostly driving on plowed roads, they're quieter, more fuel efficient and in general closer to the feel of an all-season than anything else on the market. They're also supposed to have good tread life on cleared pavement. That does describe most of Calgary driving... What we had last week was an anomaly.

That said, studded hakkas are probably about as good as it gets.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #1965
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Interesting to hear such mixed results with the X-Ice. It seems to get great results in the reviews (up there with the Hakkas), but maybe with our winters where it's more about packed ice than snow, it's not as good of a fit.

I think I'll just go with the studded Hakka's then and finally see what the fuss is about.
I don’t know who’s been Giving them positive reviews but I’ve slid around once too many with the X ice. I remember trying to brake at an intersection and needing to purposely steer the car into the concrete divider to avoid collision with the car ahead of me because I was sliding too much. And I was only going at 50km/hr

F### the X ice

Last edited by Scorch; 10-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #1966
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone here use the AMP terrain gripper?

they're advertised as snowflake rated. looking to get 285/70/17's for my truck
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #1967
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do winter tires (or any tires for that matter) go bad or become less effective over time?

Looking at winters on kijiji, which are new, but have been sitting for a while un-used. DOT on the set says 2013. Blizzaks.

For those looking, I'm seeing many good deals on Kijiji.
That is, if you know how to read and measure treadlife as many of them could be mis-stated.

"80% treadlife remaining!!!"
Yeah right, based on your pics...

Most sound like they were off cars which are now sold.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #1968
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://pmctire.com/en/info/tire-spe...s/age-dot.tire

Between 5 and 10 years and for winters I'd probably err on the side of 5 rather than 10 since the softness or flexibility of the tire (which reduces over time) is even more important to its function.

The price better be a fraction of a new tire to convince me to buy a 5 year old tire (since I'm going to want to use it only for a year or two), and often ppl are wanting close to what a new tire would be.

And yeah Kijiji people are hilarious with their tire depth ratings...
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #1969
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Do winter tires (or any tires for that matter) go bad or become less effective over time?
All tires do winters are more affected because they rely on the rubber being soft when cold the older a tire gets the less pliable it becomes.

tldr; buying used winter tires is usually not good value.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #1970
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Anyone here use the AMP terrain gripper?

they're advertised as snowflake rated. looking to get 285/70/17's for my truck
Decent tires but they wear very very fast
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #1971
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m sure this has been covered, but should I be applying something to my winter tires (I guess all tires)? Especially to store them?

I’ve seen people use Aerospace 303 but it’s crazy expensive.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #1972
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m sure this has been covered, but should I be applying something to my winter tires (I guess all tires)? Especially to store them?

I’ve seen people use Aerospace 303 but it’s crazy expensive.
Not really necessary, but I would suggest bagging and sealing them for storage to delay them from drying/hardening
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #1973
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

303 is expensive? Compared to what? You don't have to use it specifially, Mothers makes a good protectant same with Simoniz. Think I've posted this before I file it under the category of need more evidence.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #1974
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
303 is expensive? Compared to what? You don't have to use it specifially, Mothers makes a good protectant same with Simoniz. Think I've posted this before I file it under the category of need more evidence.
Compared to not using it. Or other products that are cheaper. This is why I asked.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #1975
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my winters on now. They are fairly old WS70's though and need to be replaced. They have enough life to get me to where the rush for winters this season is over so have some time.

Trying to decided between the newer WS80's and the Hakkapeliitta R3's. Anyone tried both and have an opinion?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #1976
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Compared to not using it. Or other products that are cheaper. This is why I asked.
303 is about the same price as competing products a 32oz bottle was $25 last time I bought it. If you have a car that sits in the sun a lot it makes a big difference only downside is sometimes treated surfaces form a brown-ish coating not sure why.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #1977
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
303 is about the same price as competing products a 32oz bottle was $25 last time I bought it. If you have a car that sits in the sun a lot it makes a big difference only downside is sometimes treated surfaces form a brown-ish coating not sure why.
I just checked and I think that has come down since the last time I looked a few months ago. It was $45 a bottle unless you were in the states.

But yeah I can get it on Amazon for $25. Sweet.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #1978
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Carzilla has 303 for $26
Old 10-20-2018, 01:25 AM   #1979
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Your tires do not need anything. It is not recommended by any automotive journal or manufacturer than I’ve ever seen, anyhow. If you think about it, the idea floating around the internet that a spray will reduce the wear on tread is absurd. To prevent sidewalk damage from years in the sun...maybe? Bags are intended to prevent UV damage, and keep your car clean when transporting them. If they’re stored out of direct sun, you don’t even really need them.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #1980
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the only way that could work is if it affects the tire's material composition. And if it affects the tire's composition... is that at all safe? It'd change stopping distance, grip, every characteristic of the compound, and it hasn't been tested that way. I would think that it'd be worse news if it works.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote