Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames fire Gulutzan
Yes 464 64.90%
No 251 35.10%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #781
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
This thread may have started in December but these thoughts go back to last year. GG earned his rep over 100 games or so, not just a short losing streak.
This is weird, because "short losing streaks" are ALL that the Flames have accumulated in their time under Glen Gulutzan. Since he started coaching the Flames they have lost four games-in-a-row TWICE. In total in 127 regular season games. This season, the Flames's longest losing streak has been three games, and that has happened only once. This season, the Flames have not lost more than two regulation games-in-a-row, and have only done so a total of four times. Also worth mentioning here is that in the same period of time that Gulutzan has coached the team the Flames have a record of 50-0-2 when leading after two periods. That is exceptional, and all of this speaks to something that a bewildering number of posters continue to miss:

The Flames are a consistently good team that is showing a steady progression of improvement.

So, I cannot comment on what Gulutzan's reputation is, but I know what it should be: he is proving to be a coach that is helping to improve the team and make them more consistent. I am not sure why he seems to evoke such a strong negative opinion from a number of fans, but I do know that popular opinions are not always correct opinions. With great frequency opinions are driven by strong emotions, and this will often result in faulty conclusions.

There have been plenty of valid criticisms of the coaches for line deployment decisions and special team struggles, but the question here is whether these are enough on their own to advocate for an outright change behind the bench at this stage. I would say "no," and that to expect otherwise despite the number of ways in which Gulutzan has helped to improve the team is completely unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-14-2018 at 07:13 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #782
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Not gonna speculate on things I simply don’t know
Gg could have said I want him
Bt could have said ok but for now he needs to go down
Beats me
But it is the gms call
I am not disputing the org chart.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #783
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes those other ones are coach decisions
Someone has to own the decision with input from others
And when it comes to who goes down that person is the gm
If you want to stay in make believe world so you can blame gg go ahead
But don’t make it seem like you are somehow not wrong
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #784
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't know what happened but Gulutzan had turned into a different coach. Maybe for the 1st half of the season he was MIA and a robot was behind the bench.
People like that he appears more emotionally engaged behind the bench, but I suspect this has very little to do with how the team performs. In terms of fundamentals it doesn't seem to me that much has changed from the beginning of the season. The team was never as bad as they appeared in small spurts through the first three weeks of December.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #785
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is weird, because "short losing streaks" are ALL that the Flames have accumulated in their time under Glen Gulutzan. Since he started coaching the Flames they have lost four games-in-a-row TWICE. In total in 127 regular season games. This season, the Flames's longest losing streak has been three games, and that has happened only once. This season, the Flames have not lost more than two regulation games-in-a-row, and have only done so a total of four times. Also worth mentioning here is that in the same period of time that Gulutzan has coached the team the Flames have a record of 50-0-2 when leading after two periods. That is exceptional, and all of this speaks to something that a bewildering number of posters continue to miss:

The Flames are a consistently good team that is showing a steady progression of improvement.

So, I cannot comment on what Gulutzan's reputation is, but I know what it should be: he is proving to be a coach that is helping to improve the team and make them more consistent. I am not sure why he seems to evoke such a strong negative opinion from a number of fans, but I do know that popular opinions are not always correct opinions. With great frequency opinions are driven by strong emotions, and this will often result in faulty conclusions.

There have been plenty of valid criticisms of the coaches for line deployment decisions and special team struggles, but the question here is whether these are enough on their own to advocate for a coaching change at this stage. I would say "no," and that to expect otherwise despite the number of ways in which Gulutzan has helped to improve the team is completely unreasonable.
His reputation is that he coaches teams to sub .500 in regulation record. That was true till the streak.
He is also 0-4 in the playoffs.

I always asked the pro GG guys why they liked him. And outside of fancy stats we heard crickets. Good possession, sub .500 team in regulation. Season and quarter in I said enough, time for a change. So sue me for being irrational and inpatient.

And I am not sure where you get the idea that the Flames are consistently a good team. Take away the 10 gamer last year and the current streak and you see a below average team.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #786
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Apart from fancy stats”
Damn those people with actual supporting facts eh?

And yes take away most teams largest winning streak and their record wouldn’t be great
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #787
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

why would you even respond to this guy?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #788
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...I always asked the pro GG guys why they liked him. And outside of fancy stats we heard crickets. Good possession, sub .500 team in regulation.
It is right there in the post you quoted. I like Gulutzan for how much the team has improved, and looks to still be improving. The Flames are becoming an excellent, vey consistent possession team. I also very much like that when Glen Gulutzan's team is winning after two periods, they do not lose.

Quote:
And I am not sure where you get the idea that the Flames are consistently a good team. Take away the 10 gamer last year and the current streak and you see a below average team.

Why would we not consider the best parts of the past two seasons in evaluating the coach? I can only think one would choose to do so because they have already formed an opinion and are not open to changing their mind. This is simply manipulating the narrative to suit your conclusion.

As for the playoffs, I think Gulutzan deserves more than four games from which to draw a conclusion. Especially considering that poor goaltending had a huge part in the results. I personally think that the team was much better than the sweep.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #789
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
His reputation is that he coaches teams to sub .500 in regulation record. That was true till the streak.

I always asked the pro GG guys why they liked him. And outside of fancy stats we heard crickets. Good possession, sub .500 team in regulation. Season and quarter in I said enough, time for a change. So sue me for being irrational and inpatient.

I've been pretty vlcriticalnof GG, but it's not totally fair to take away winning streaks when determining how good a coach is. That said if a team needs a 10 game win streak to sneak into the playoffs then I find it hard to say they are consistently good.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #790
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Take away their two 4-game losing streaks from last year, and Gulutzan's record is 70-41-8
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #791
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why on earth should we take away these two streaks? Would you be happier if they were shorter? What constitutes a winning streak that you would count?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #792
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving’s interview earlier in the week during intermission, maybe Thursday or Friday, his first comment was how the team was consistently inconsistent through the first half.

The guy doesn’t know anything.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #793
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I thought that was one thing everyone agreed upon.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #794
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I've been pretty vlcriticalnof GG, but it's not totally fair to take away winning streaks when determining how good a coach is. That said if a team needs a 10 game win streak to sneak into the playoffs then I find it hard to say they are consistently good.
I think people have strange ideas about how to define "consistency." It is also bizarre to me that some posters would feel better about a team that posts a record of 3W-1L-4W-2L-5W than they do about one with a result of 1L-10W-1L-2W -1L in a stretch of fifteen games.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #795
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun fact:

The Flames are now the top Canadian team over the last two years (Gulutzan's reign)

1) WAS: 83-33-11
12) SJS: 68-42-13
13) CAL: 70-49-8
14) TOR: 65-44-18
15) EDM: 67-49-12
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #796
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fun fact:

The Flames are now the top Canadian team over the last two years (Gulutzan's reign)

He is no Mike Babcock.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #797
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is no Mike Babcock.
Man, I know you're a mod but you are getting insufferable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #798
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Man, I know you're a mod but you are getting insufferable.
You really dislike his last comment so much?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #799
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Fun fact:

Kind of a low bar, no?

But interesting to see the oilers in 3rd. A feel good story for Spec.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #800
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ I thought that was one thing everyone agreed upon.
Almost everyone it would appear.
Closed Thread