Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane was quite noticeable for only 7:26 minutes of ice time. Newcomers like Jankowski and Rittich have at least solidified themselves as players this team can build with.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #62
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Really liked what eat bread brought last night .....like 3 shots and 2 tips and he didn't look out of place.
I hope he stays up and certain players on the flames realize this is what needs to happen for us to win, make playoffs.

It's been a slow progression but having Rittich, Eat bread , Hathaway step in where they can we have gotten better.
I think more call ups may be required but hopefully are not necessary.
Hopefully Frolik heals fast. He's hard to replace but Andrew looked awesome last night.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #63
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett coming to life on the wing
Kulak establishing himself as an NHLer so far
Janko, Hathaway and Rittich all getting call ups and establishing themselves
Hopefully Mangiapane does this too now

Some bright spots for sure
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine if by end of year Jaknkowski, Mangiapane, Kulak and Rittich all established themselves as NHL players. That would really be quite an accomplishment. Seems like the organization could really do something with that too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #65
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^And Hathaway!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #66
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Yeah and we still have decent prospects cooking in the Ahl and lower.

Being patient is becoming harder watching these prospects succeed in the levels they are at but soon we'll see it all come together.

It's a breathe of fresh air....seems like not so long ago there were no promising players waiting to work their way up

Last edited by EVERLAST; 01-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #67
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need to win at the exact same rate they have been for 37 more games. And then there needs to be a six game win streak over the balance of the games. Very doable.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #68
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not rare for good teams to go on slumps. I get the sense that this team has the ability to make an exciting run down the stretch.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #69
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. The first line collectively got 4 points on NYE. Last time they had 4+ in a single night was November 24th. Hopefully that is sign of them getting out of their rut. Monahan and Gaudreau had 13 points together in the month of December (they had 39 in November). Getting them back on track will do wonders.

2. Bennett lead the team in points for the month of December (10 points in 13 games). Prorated over 82 games that is 63 points. Trending in the right direction after a bumpy start.

3. Tkachuk has 10 goals through 37 games. Trending towards 20 goals.

I think it really is no secret that the Flames struggle to pick up wins is in large part to the first line struggling. 13 points points from them is similar to their output from early last season when the team really struggled. I think the difference this year is that you now have the 3rd line to help carry the load. All this turmoil and struggles and the ream is still only 2 points back from a playoff spot.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #70
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Imagine if by end of year Jaknkowski, Mangiapane, Kulak and Rittich all established themselves as NHL players. That would really be quite an accomplishment. Seems like the organization could really do something with that too.
Happy to see that, especially with lots of spots opening up next year. Stajan and Bart coming off the books next year, Versteeg i'm indifferent about, I really liked what he brought last year but this year has been slow. Jagr, I'm happy to keep him for as long as he helps the young guys grow, but this is definitely looking like his last year.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #71
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been wanting a home grown young bottom 6 for years. Finally looks like we'll be able to have that by next year minimum.

Having a steady supply of prospects on the bottom 6 and bottom pairing will allow us to go big for a UFA RW.

That's what's keeping me going so far this year. We aren't quite done improving yet. Still don't know how we will upgrade our 1C though.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #72
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good team on paper, and I love love love the fact that most of the roster consists of players the Flames drafted and developed. That's huge in my opinion.

If they solve the special teams (top ten on both) I think they would be a top 5 team in the league. They are almost there in terms of PP and have work to do on the PK.

Despite not meeting expectations they are still in the mix for a playoff spot.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #73
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I've been wanting a home grown young bottom 6 for years. Finally looks like we'll be able to have that by next year minimum.
We already have a homegrown top 9 actually, except for Frolik.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #74
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post

Having a steady supply of prospects on the bottom 6 and bottom pairing will allow us to go big for a UFA RW.

That's what's keeping me going so far this year. We aren't quite done improving yet. Still don't know how we will upgrade our 1C though.
That is the last position we need to upgrade. Monahan is on a point per game pace and is only 23. He has a few holes in his game, but he is 100% a 1C in this league. If Bennett keeps trending up (he's only 21) he could challenge for that 1C job at some point. Add to that Jankowski and Backlund I would say C is arguably our strongest position.

On another note, I really think Tkachuk is the player who will eventually be one of the key players on the team going forward. He has my vote to take over the captaincy once Gio is gone. He gets up for every single game. He seems to have that fire inside even when no other player on the team does. Once he matures a bit more, I think he could really set the tone in the locker room and on the ice.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #75
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It's not rare for good teams to go on slumps. I get the sense that this team has the ability to make an exciting run down the stretch.
Flames have always been a 2nd half team and always play better then the 1st half. Maybe some nerd can look up to see if they've historically had a better 1st half then 2nd, but as far as I can recall half 2 is when the team usually picks it up.

Of course the pessimists think we're Oiler level right now. Some of the dumbest/worst stuff I've read this week is how these are the ''darkest time I can remember as a Flames fan'', or how BT set us back 5-7 years because he traded an assumed-to-be lottery pick for a top 4 D. Those people must have forgotten 2 seasons ago. Or 2010-2013. Or the late 90s.

Times definitely aren't dark. We have a good young core, depth at most positions and pretty much every call up has played well. The farm team is doing well and we have a smart hard working GM who isn't afraid to make a splash. Just because he doesn't fire the head coach when CP wants doesn't mean he isn't hard at work looking to improve the team. Some people forget that it takes 2 teams to make a trade and your dealing with people's livelihoods when making these decisions. This isn't as simple as EA NHL like some people like to think.

Often credit isn't even given to the other team when they win. It's all Flames did this, Flames lack that. It's as if some people truly think that trading for a player or hiring a new coach will magically make the rest of the league forget how to win and it's an automatic fix that the Flames will start to win. There's also another team on the other side of the ice with 21+ players and coaching staff/human beings who happen to be the best at their jobs in the world too. It's actually quite strange for all fanbases, not just the Flames, how little credit is given to the opposing team when they win.

I was one of those people who was cautiously optimistic about it being a good season. I hoped for the playoffs, but I sure didn't make it an expectation like some did. Regardless of how many draft picks were traded away, this was a 5 year plan to make the team an annual playoff team and this is year 5. Like Burke says, we aren't at the sprint stage yet. I think we've finally learned to start to run though.

I think the Flames will have a much better 2nd half going into 2018 and start to fire on all cylinders. The bandwagoners will jump back on. Those who don't watch games anymore will start to tune back in. And the GG haters will slowly silence themselves after the next win streak.

For what it's worth, I've moved from a GG supporter to someone who thinks he should be replaced. But I also don't mind if he stays and sees this season through. A lot of things that need to fixed are fixable. The PK has improved. 5 on 5 we're pretty good. The defence is starting to learn how to lock game down. Fix the PP, get the top guys going again, and we'll get on a roll.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #76
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because it is very easy to do the last three years (flames site has a season compare). Maybe I will edit and add a few more years later:

2010-2011
First half: 39 Second Half : 55
2011-2012
First half: 41 Second Half : 49
2012-2013
First half: 22 Second Half : 20 (lockout year and we sold sold sold)
2013-2014
First half: 34 Second Half : 43
2014-2015
First half: 45 Second Half : 52
2015-2016
First half: 40 Second Half : 34
2016-2017
First half: 44 Second Half : 50
2017-2018
Through 39 games we have 42 points (2 games remaining till the half way point)

Last edited by Robbob; 01-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #77
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Nerd!!

I look forward to much better 2nd half from the team!
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #78
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Just because it is very easy to do the last three years (flames site has a season compare). Maybe I will edit and add a few more years later:

2010-2011
First half: 39 Second Half : 55
2011-2012
First half: 41 Second Half : 49
2012-2013
First half: 22 Second Half : 20 (lockout year and we sold sold sold)
2013-2014
First half: 34 Second Half : 43
2014-2015
First half: 45 Second Half : 52
2015-2016
First half: 40 Second Half : 34
2016-2017
First half: 44 Second Half : 50
2017-2018
Through 39 games we have 44 points (2 games remaining till the half way point)
So despite the rocky start, if the Flames win the next two they'd have their best first half in 8 seasons? This is both encouraging and a little disappointing all at once.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #79
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by Robbob; 01-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #80
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're currently at 42 points, no? But still, 46 would be the best start in 8 season.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote