Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default RBC Avion Dealing with cancelled flight

So this is mostly a rant about airline customer service, with a small hope someone may have been through something similar and found a solution.

I'm booked for a flight from Calgary to Lihue November 5th to 12th next month. Flight booked through Avion Rewards back in April. Since then flight from SFO to Lihue has been delayed 2 hours, flight home from LAX to Calgary has been delayed 10 hours, and now the flight from Calgary to SFO has been straight up cancelled.

I called 10 days ago to get flight changed so I could still make it to Lihue, and they say there are no United flights available that I can switch to. Well, the flight that was cancelled was Air Canada, and I'm literally looking at multiple flights on the air canada website that get me to SFO in time for the flight from SFO to Lihue, just they go through Vancouver. I ask can you just book me on that? They say they need to escalate to a different level and will get back to me in 3 business days.

Well they never got back to me and I finally called them back today, only to have call cancelled on me twice in middle of talking with them, no call back, go through the whole wait etc for the last 5 hours. Finally they say that since the tickets available on the Air Canada flights have a different code (I was apparently booked on code G and they can only rebook me on code G?) I would have to pay the difference. Okay, whatever, I've been dicked around for 10 days now, I'll pay the extra $100 bucks or whatever. Then she tells me it'll cost $1400 dollars. WTF. The entire round trip when I paid in April only cost $1700 total.

I get a little pissed now, asking for a refund on the flight that was cancelled. I'll book my own way to SFO as I can see on Air Canada website right now I can book that same flight they want to charge $1400 for, for only $900. They say they can't refund on a partial part of an itinerary, I would have to cancel my entire trip and get full refund, but meanwhile any flights now still available are 3x the price that I paid in April. She says there is nothing else she can do and hangs up.

I've now paid the new air canada tickets just on the AC website but I am absolutely furious at this whole situation and wonder, does anyone know how I can escalate this to get some refund for the flight that was cancelled?

Thanks for reading my rant.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth View Post
So this is mostly a rant about airline customer service, with a small hope someone may have been through something similar and found a solution.

I'm booked for a flight from Calgary to Lihue November 5th to 12th next month. Flight booked through Avion Rewards back in April. Since then flight from SFO to Lihue has been delayed 2 hours, flight home from LAX to Calgary has been delayed 10 hours, and now the flight from Calgary to SFO has been straight up cancelled.

I called 10 days ago to get flight changed so I could still make it to Lihue, and they say there are no United flights available that I can switch to. Well, the flight that was cancelled was Air Canada, and I'm literally looking at multiple flights on the air canada website that get me to SFO in time for the flight from SFO to Lihue, just they go through Vancouver. I ask can you just book me on that? They say they need to escalate to a different level and will get back to me in 3 business days.

Well they never got back to me and I finally called them back today, only to have call cancelled on me twice in middle of talking with them, no call back, go through the whole wait etc for the last 5 hours. Finally they say that since the tickets available on the Air Canada flights have a different code (I was apparently booked on code G and they can only rebook me on code G?) I would have to pay the difference. Okay, whatever, I've been dicked around for 10 days now, I'll pay the extra $100 bucks or whatever. Then she tells me it'll cost $1400 dollars. WTF. The entire round trip when I paid in April only cost $1700 total.

I get a little pissed now, asking for a refund on the flight that was cancelled. I'll book my own way to SFO as I can see on Air Canada website right now I can book that same flight they want to charge $1400 for, for only $900. They say they can't refund on a partial part of an itinerary, I would have to cancel my entire trip and get full refund, but meanwhile any flights now still available are 3x the price that I paid in April. She says there is nothing else she can do and hangs up.

I've now paid the new air canada tickets just on the AC website but I am absolutely furious at this whole situation and wonder, does anyone know how I can escalate this to get some refund for the flight that was cancelled?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Nothing that drastic, but a few years ago AC was continuously pushing back a flight connecting through TO to Iceland. If we missed that flight there was nothing else until the next day, meaning we’d lose a day of vacation and whatever else that could have entailed with the rental car, etc. We finally gave up and just drove to the airport with our bags and talked to a rep and they were able to straighten everything out right away and arranged a way for us to fly to Edmonton and then Toronto and off to Iceland.

I guess I would say go to the airport so you can talk to somebody in person who has access to the system. Calling in was a huge waste of time.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

They won't refund you for part of the flight. My recommendations:

1) try calling united. If you have a ticket on united ticket stock they have an obligation to transport you.

2) get an expert flyer trial subscription (free) and search for 'G' space yourself, then spoon-feed the exact flights to the avion agent to re-book.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: