Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #41
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
My guess is that this is Fenton attempting to take advantage of a General Manager who sucks at his job in Vancouver. Were I ever in a deal with Dim Jim Benning I would be seeing my terms in the realm of incredulity as well.
Knowing Benning he probably accepted the deal but Fenton tried to get greedy and ask for picks. Then even Benning knew it was too much.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #42
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know much about Zucker really

...so is he a $5M player? Is he a lock on our 2nd line?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #43
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

He had a down year after breaking out the year previous. Minnesota may be looking to divest themselves of the risk.

So, is Zucker the 2017/2018 player - or the 2018/2019 player? I believe I read that Zucker produced half of his points in ‘18/‘19 on the PP but was not very strong during 5v5 play - so definitely an area where our pro scouts would have to believe he’s more the 17/18 player than the 18/19 player.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He had a down year after breaking out the year previous. Minnesota may be looking to divest themselves of the risk.

So, is Zucker the 2017/2018 player - or the 2018/2019 player? I believe I read that Zucker produced half of his points in ‘18/‘19 on the PP but was not very strong during 5v5 play - so definitely an area where our pro scouts would have to believe he’s more the 17/18 player than the 18/19 player.
Is he Lindholm - about to pop? Or Neal - about to burst?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

I think he's probably both of those things. I'd say in the right situation, he's good for about 50-60 points on average for about 5 years in a second line role. However, his value is at its lowest after last season, so an by the Wild attempt to sell him as if his value were well above its peak (because he's likely not a first line guy going forward) is embarrassing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
God.

Stop saying this.
I don’t like the term cap dump in this case either, but certainly his salary is the main reason the Wild want to move him. They don’t seem to be targeting a certain player.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #47
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Buying high on Zucker and selling low on Bennett, no thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Frolik, sure.

Bennett no, and certainly not boeser for Van.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #49
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Crazy. If Zucker's so valuable, why are they trying so hard to get rid of him? I mean Granlund only got back Fiala at the trade deadline, and Neidereiter only returned Rask. What suddenly made Zucker so valuable?

Last edited by Fan in Exile; 05-27-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #50
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Buying high on Zucker and selling low on Bennett, no thanks.
Zucker just had the worst season he has had since 2015. Not exactly buying high.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #51
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read it as either or Frolik/Bennett not both.. but based on their ask from both ARZ and VAN I'm assuming they want both for Zucker.

Zucker is probably a slight upgrade on Frolik offensively especially on the PP but also comes at a higher cap hit. I'd consider it but wouldn't be giving up a 1st/2nd or Bennett.

I personally feel we need more RHS's we've got far too many lefties.
If I'm adding I'd much rather want J.T out of TBL then Zucker unless we can find a way to fit both.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #52
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We need to improve our speed and compete level, Zucker brings both those qualities in spades.

I agree that Bennett shouldn't be part of the deal.

I would also try and see if we could get Eriksson Ek in the deal as well, with Jankowski and another small piece going the other way.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #53
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Go full blockbuster. Grab Zucker, Rask, Pateryn & Dubnyk

Blockbuster probably too strong a word there.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #54
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

These are some hilarious asks from Minnesota/Fenton, dude's gunna make a reputation for himself asking for these kind of valuations
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #55
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like I have not done my research. Zucker seems to have been quite the effective player, up until last year.

Is last year real or just a down year that could be exploited by BT? Thinking about it, I’d go with the latter.

I don’t think he’s worth premium assets, because he’s not a difference maker. But he’s solid enough to be worth putting in the lineup.

I can see Minnesota being scared of what happened this year and trying to get out from that contract before it might become unmovable. But I am sure BT and the team have done their homework.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #56
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have done Frolik for Zucker. He’s a good player.

He’s better than Bennett too but when you take age and contracts into consideration I wouldn’t trade Bennett for him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #57
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
It looks like I have not done my research. Zucker seems to have been quite the effective player, up until last year.

Is last year real or just a down year that could be exploited by BT? Thinking about it, I’d go with the latter.

I don’t think he’s worth premium assets, because he’s not a difference maker. But he’s solid enough to be worth putting in the lineup.

I can see Minnesota being scared of what happened this year and trying to get out from that contract before it might become unmovable. But I am sure BT and the team have done their homework.
There is no reason to be afraid of that contract. I hope that's what Minnesota is thinking and gives him up to Calgary for cheap.

Zucker's expected goals total last year was 26. This is based on the quality and quantity of his chances. Only 11 players in the league played 1000 EV minutes last season and averaged more scoring chances per 20 minutes than Zucker. Of those players 5 scored 40 and 10 scored 30 or more.

If anything, Minnesota is selling low here, not high. Exactly like they did with Niederreiter. This could be a good opportunity to add a 30 goal guy for relatively cheap.

*Stats taken from Mike Kelly from The Point
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #58
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Given what he's actually fetched in trades this appears to be Fenton trying to fix all his mistakes in a single go.

I don't see anything so special about Zucker to give Frolik and Bennett. But I suppose if someone thinks Bennett's value is a single second round pick, than it's less than Frolik+1st which is what the Flames had reportedly offered at the deadline.

Personally I'd rather use the better assets like first round picks to try and get more impactful players than Zucker at this point in time, or guys who play positions that the Flames need help at like C or natural RW.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #59
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I don't see anything so special about Zucker to give Frolik and Bennett. But I suppose if someone thinks Bennett's value is a single second round pick, than it's less than Frolik+1st which is what the Flames had reportedly offered at the deadline.
I dunno... I think it's a tougher question then that.

I mean what is Bennett's trade value? He's basically got two years of team control left and he produces at a level pretty consistent with a quality 3rd line winger. Hockey-Graphs has a salary projection model and on a 3 year contract the estimate him at $2.85M... considering he has arbitration rights that sounds pretty realistic. Dispassionately speaking, would you trade a 1st round pick for a quality 3rd line wing making 2.85M for three years (UFA afterwards)?

I'm kind of on the fence about this deal but I don't think it's obviously bad. We'd be trading one year of Frolik for one year of Zucker (which I do in a heartbeat even though I like Frolik) and three years of Bennett (at roughly 2.85M) for the next three years of Zucker... that's where some risk happens because we'd have to project future performance.

Digging deeper what (if any) is the drop off from giving Bennett's minutes to Mangiapane (and Mangiapane's minutes to Dube)? If we assume consistent performance (no improvement nor decline) from all parties can we internally replace Bennett's depth performance value (I think Zucker replaces and adds to Frolik's performance value)?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #60
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Given what he's actually fetched in trades this appears to be Fenton trying to fix all his mistakes in a single go.

Personally I'd rather use the better assets like first round picks to try and get more impactful players than Zucker at this point in time, or guys who play positions that the Flames need help at like C or natural RW.
Frolik was more of a cap dump going the other way to make the trade work at the deadline and going forward.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote