That every team that wins is DIFFERENT.

That becomes the norm, OMG St Louis BIG = GOOD

Anaheim - must have Norris D
Chicago - puck possession, who needs goalie lol
Boston - you must be mean and have depth, yea and a hot goalie
Pittsburg - lol no defence only offence needed
LA - big, defence and yay goalie is important again
Caps - err not sure yet

So, it’s different every year. Every team is different, except for two things - they’re good and they get good goaltending.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #42
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So you DO want to pay him for more than he is?

Makes sense.

No I agree with you he needs to be paid in the right range to make sense.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #43
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think how well a team does during the regular season matters a lot. I get the "get hot at the right time and anything can happen" mentality and what better year to make that point than this one, but I believe teams get into big trouble thinking like that.

If we look at the recent Cup champions and finalists - Washington, Pittsburgh, Nashville, San Jose, Boston, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Vegas - two things jump out at me:

1.All of the cup champions and almost all finalists were regular season division champions or were competing closely for the division.

2. Every cup champion and almost all finalists were perennial playoff teams around the time they won/made the finals (except Vegas because they have only been around for 1 year).

To me, this says be a consistently good regular season team, be a perennial playoff team and eventually you will have a chance to break through.

As for the Flames, I actually don't think we're even at the perennial playoff team part yet. We've been make it one year, miss the next...So before jumping to far ahead and thinking about playoff accomplishments, I'd actually like to see if we can repeat our regular season performance next year. I'm not taking the playoffs for granted, even though I think the acquisitions of Lindholm, Hanifin and Hamonic have pushed us to perennial playoff team status. We will see.

As an aside, I think we wasted a lot of the Iginla years, especially the last few, thinking we just need to make it and once we do we're good enough to go on a long run. I actually think the Cinderella 04 run hindered this team from fully assessing the talent that we had and realizing it was not a perennial powerhouse team, but that's a whole other debate.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #44
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't think this year's playoff's have taught us anything that we didn't already know. Both remaining teams have their top guys rolling, depth up front and on the back end and a goalie playing out of their minds. What else is new?

The Bruins and Blues have a few guys who are so called bruisers, but not more so than Hathaway or Bennett. What both teams do have that the Flames are desperately lacking is a team commitment to heavy play.
We don't really have an abundance of players up front who will thrive in a physical, tight checking and heavy game. It's also definitely not a coincidence that both remaining teams have their top guys thriving in that kind of environment.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #45
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Some people have different view points and that is okay too. I think he has some good intangibles, but most have accepted that never live up to his draft billing. Sam can still be an important part of the team "if paid accordingly". Nothing wrong with those that hold out hope.
Unfortunately this is Sam Bennett.
Just enough to be tasty but not enough to live to full potential.

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #46
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

The refs suck and the game is called way different than it should be in the playoffs
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:49 AM   #47
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The refs. Even if you can count on them to chip in on a deciding call for a game each series, you still have to win 3 more, right Sharks?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #48
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Different style in the playoffs as the slashing, hooking and obstruction are out of control.
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badger89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #49
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

What we learned is that teams need to peak at the right time. You need to be on a roll heading into the playoffs and be playing at your best and most cohesive. You have to trust the players that got you there and you need to let your team play. You also need to have solid goaltending and your top scorers show up. Those are the lessons learned. The Flames failed in many of those areas.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #50
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey's a game of confidence so I'd agree that teams who are doing relatively well or at the very least not slumping, should fare better in the playoffs. Sitting your best players at the end of the season usually means taking them out for about a week from real games and while it's a risk reducing move to prevent injuries, I'd rather the Flames play their full team at the end of the year. If your guys need rest, space it out over the season, but even then, the games are too important in the regular season unless you're running away from the pack like the Lightning were.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger89 View Post
Different style in the playoffs as the slashing, hooking and obstruction are out of control.
There have been some games in the 3rd period where I cringe at the amount of obstruction that doesn't get called. Players basically pulling other players down to the ice and no penalty. I get the officials want to let them play but they are accomplishing the exact opposite as that level of obstruction isn't letting them play. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get officials to get out of this mentality in the playoffs at it's the only sport I know of that has different rules in the postseason and it sucks for fans and the teams that had success in the regular season that aren't allowed to play the same in the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #52
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Two-way centers and puck possession. Possession becomes a different beast in tight-checking and fast games, with the refs letting stuff go.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #53
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned not to get too emotionally invested into the team. Haven’t had my hopes this high in 10 years. I have not watched more than 15 minutes of hockey since the first round. I hope whoever wins the cup does it in a sweep this season needs to end.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #54
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Unfortunately this is Sam Bennett.
Just enough to be tasty but not enough to live to full potential.

.... this is the best part about popcorn.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger89 View Post
Except Fantenberg on MacKinnon.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #56
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Here's the top 2 centre scoring totals for the last handful of cup champs.

2018 Caps: 160 pts
2017 Pens: 161 pts
2016 Pens: 143 pts (Malkin missed 25 games)
2015 Hawks: 103 pts (Jennings trophy)
2014 Kings: 126 pts (Jennings trophy)
2013 Hawks: 116 pt pace (lockout half season / Jennings trophy)
2012 Kings: 120 pts (add Jeff Carter at deadline)

You ain't going to win the cup unless you've either got two 75-85 point centres or the stingiest team defense in the entire league.

The Flames have neither.

Suggests to me the course of action is acquire one of the best centres in the league, because I don't think you're ever going to have the stingiest team defense with a roster containing both gaudreau and monahan. I just don't think it's possible.
In practice they don't, but in personnel they definitely should. Throughout the season we saw remarkable defence. There were stretches of games where the offence blew everyone out of the water but they played strongest when it seemed like they weren't giving up anything in dangerous areas.

I think that the Flames led by Gio and Backs is more the target than more offensive weapons. This post-season, we definitely saw neither but I don't know that they have neither. I think you need to ask a lot more of a lot of people, but I think the route is more 2015 Hawks than 2018 Caps.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #57
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
In practice they don't, but in personnel they definitely should. Throughout the season we saw remarkable defence. There were stretches of games where the offence blew everyone out of the water but they played strongest when it seemed like they weren't giving up anything in dangerous areas.

I think that the Flames led by Gio and Backs is more the target than more offensive weapons. This post-season, we definitely saw neither but I don't know that they have neither. I think you need to ask a lot more of a lot of people, but I think the route is more 2015 Hawks than 2018 Caps.
IMO they lack 2 elements that prevent them from being this:

1) elite goaltending
2) elite 2 way top line centre.

Corey Crawford is/was an elite goalie. It helps to play behind a stingy defense, but he's shown he's an elite goalie.

In 2014-2015 the hawks finished 17th in the league in goals for, but only 2 goals against away from being the best defensive team in the league.

Having Kane - Toews - Saad as your top line is one thing, but to have Hossa come over the boards with Patrick Sharp and andrew shaw is quite another.

I don't think the Flames have the horses for that but with another couple of scorers I think they could've been the 2009-2010 hawks this year, with Mark Stone being the Hossa equivalent.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #58
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

We've learned that players that work hard and execute get rewarded. And that great goaltending is key.

That is all.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #59
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO they lack 2 elements that prevent them from being this:

1) elite goaltending
2) elite 2 way top line centre.

Corey Crawford is/was an elite goalie. It helps to play behind a stingy defense, but he's shown he's an elite goalie.

In 2014-2015 the hawks finished 17th in the league in goals for, but only 2 goals against away from being the best defensive team in the league.

Having Kane - Toews - Saad as your top line is one thing, but to have Hossa come over the boards with Patrick Sharp and andrew shaw is quite another.

I don't think the Flames have the horses for that but with another couple of scorers I think they could've been the 2009-2010 hawks this year, with Mark Stone being the Hossa equivalent.
I personally wasn't blown away by Crawford, though in the end, his resume looks damn good. But I wasn't thinking of Crawford as anything elite and difficult to obtain. If anything, I think of Crawford as justification for giving Rittich the net next year.

These Flames are definitely going to do it differently than the past SC winners if this roster has it in them - but I think the defence they have now plays a huge role. Maybe they're the team with a stifling mobile defence that breaks you down and plays with possession while scoring from everywhere and from everyone. Maybe it's the team that you honestly wonder if 3rd line is going to go off tonight. Stifle their top lines and abuse them when they have to put out a weaker line. Make them less worried about Hossa coming over the boards as much as you're worried about finding room for your top players against Gio. You're terrified your PP is going to let Jankowski have more facetime with your netminder. You're worried that Derek Frikken Ryan is going to dance through your D and wrap it into the net after you shut Johhny out all night.

Now, I'm not saying that I have full faith in everyone on the roster at the moment, mind you. There's a lot of personal improvements that need to be made for us to rely on anything I said - but I don't think that their model is 2 high-powered C unless it's out there. And I really really wanted Stone too. I really think he was the piece that got things done here.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #60
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Unfortunately, THE model is either 2 high powered Cs or the single best C in the game.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote