Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thread started at a quarter to midnight on a Tuesday. You're either working too hard or not hard enough.

I do appreciate a random musings thread about how people are doing in conjunction with the abortion discussion. Its like the Universe just needs balance.
Currently working about 55 hours a week juggling two jobs before I go back to school in September. It's a lot but I'm managing it thus far. It'll all be worth it when I go back, I hope. I have a lot to look forward to but still over three months in the way.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #22
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

George Carlins quote does it for me on days I get a chance to contemplate.

...always remember, life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #23
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I save my thoughts for Festivus, Airing of the Grievances.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I save my thoughts for Festivus, Airing of the Grievances.
Fight your father!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #25
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorp, you're doing it wrong. It's...

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
...Today, I spent a lot of time thinking about the role of people in society. Not as a whole, but as individuals. ...
When you started posting at CP a couple of years ago, I honestly thought you were another re-incarnation of puckluck, for which I sincerely apologize now. You seem like a nice, enthusiastic kid who likes Flames hockey and, judging by what others are saying, about 19-20 years old? If that's correct, then my youngest is older than you, so, please don't take it the wrong way when I say this: why are you wasting time talking about the meaning of life with a bunch of avatars, man??? Go out, make some real friends, play sports, volunteer! Seriously, it's much more rewarding! This shoudln't be a real life here; just a hockey chat.

The amount of time and effort some people spend here talking about absolutely meaningless crap is really troubling. Not because it's meaningless, but because they have the time and desire to do so, instead of doing something real...
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #27
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
so, please don't take it the wrong way when I say this: why are you wasting time talking about the meaning of life with a bunch of avatars, man??? Go out, make some real friends, play sports, volunteer! Seriously, it's much more rewarding! This shoudln't be a real life here; just a hockey chat.

The amount of time and effort some people spend here talking about absolutely meaningless crap is really troubling. Not because it's meaningless, but because they have the time and desire to do so, instead of doing something real...
This is much easier said than done.

Also, this isn’t any less real. If anything you get more honest opinions from a wider range of age and environments. It’s just different than how you did it as a kid.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good, for the most part. Job pays well enough but boring as hell. And dealing with the general public as a whole certainly has its downsides.

Don't live paycheque to paycheque, money in the bank. 2 cars paid for. About to move to a house (currently in a condo).

All in all, I really can't complain but feel my life needs far more adventure. Not always easy to do with with a s/o that usually gets nervous about even slightly risky things. Don't hold it against her at all, she trys, but generally wants things toned down which can impact my experience.

All in all, I really can't complain. And I really shouldn't. I just find life to be a bit dull at times and I don't like that part.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #29
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Good, for the most part. Job pays well enough but boring as hell. And dealing with the general public as a whole certainly has its downsides.

Don't live paycheque to paycheque, money in the bank. 2 cars paid for. About to move to a house (currently in a condo).

All in all, I really can't complain but feel my life needs far more adventure. Not always easy to do with with a s/o that usually gets nervous about even slightly risky things. Don't hold it against her at all, she trys, but generally wants things toned down which can impact my experience.

All in all, I really can't complain. And I really shouldn't. I just find life to be a bit dull at times and I don't like that part.
Have you tried experimenting with psychedelics?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything's meaningless. Even the real meaningless stuff.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Everything's meaningless. Even the real meaningless stuff.
That's true.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #32
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinePack View Post
####ty, wife of 12 years moving out, dog dying of cancer, and i sick of my job.

could write a country song.
That was almost my exact situation 6 years ago... straight down to the dog dying of cancer.

You may not need to hear this, but as hopeless as I felt sometimes, it does get better.

Don't do anything rash... like write a country song.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
When you started posting at CP a couple of years ago, I honestly thought you were another re-incarnation of puckluck, for which I sincerely apologize now. You seem like a nice, enthusiastic kid who likes Flames hockey and, judging by what others are saying, about 19-20 years old? If that's correct, then my youngest is older than you, so, please don't take it the wrong way when I say this: why are you wasting time talking about the meaning of life with a bunch of avatars, man??? Go out, make some real friends, play sports, volunteer! Seriously, it's much more rewarding! This shoudln't be a real life here; just a hockey chat.

First of all, you had every right to feel that way about my original posting. I was insufferable and terrible. But whatever, I was 14.

I'm 19 this year. Five years on Calgarypuck averaging almost 10 posts a day seems like a lot, sure. (It's skewed a lot by Game Threads, but that's neither here nor there.) But I'm pretty active. I play in a competitive ball hockey league twice a week. I go out on weekends with friends. I work a lot, what with having two jobs. I write for a newspaper on a volunteer basis as part of school. I watch a lot of sports, and also the NBA sometimes. I hang out with my family, especially my last two remaining grandparents as they move into facilities.

I posted this thread yesterday after a very full day. I'm making this post on my lunch break. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just reassuring you: I live a full life! I have a pretty good setup. This community has become a part of it, too. It gives me a ton of different insights into how other people see the world, which, for a journalism student, is pretty valuable capital.

Anyway I suppose that's how I'm doing.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #34
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Don't do anything rash... like write a country song.
Or listening to one, for that matter.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was a way of saying this that wasn't so cliche, but live life to the fullest; stop and smell the roses.

Enjoy your landscaping job. One day when you have deadlines and projects and maybe direct reports, you'll yearn for the days of manual labor that requires minimal mental effort.

Enjoy school, despite being poor. School can be fun. One day you'll have enough money to buy all the video games, but no time to play them.

I need to stop and enjoy life a little more. I too often am looking ahead and trying to make everything better and improve my life. Things are alright already.

I think the key to life (and happiness) is to be selfless, and that is hard to do. Good luck.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #36
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the small stuff that makes everything else worthwhile. I've been in a bit of a dark hole lately where the good, small stuff got overwhelmed by the big nasty stuff. Big nasty stuff is still there, but the light's coming back to the good small stuff. Guess it's all about keeping perspective. "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things", like George Carlin said.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
It's the small stuff that makes everything else worthwhile. I've been in a bit of a dark hole lately where the good, small stuff got overwhelmed by the big nasty stuff. Big nasty stuff is still there, but the light's coming back to the good small stuff. Guess it's all about keeping perspective. "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things", like George Carlin said.
I would like to follow up with another related quote, this one by Shad:

“You never question where you get the blessing,
So don’t get vexed when your life is stressed”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #38
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lately when the subject of "meaning of life" comes up, it makes me think of the old song by Jimmy Durante, "Make someone happy".

So I guess my answer would be, life is all about making someone happy.

I think when you've done enough of that, you are probably prepared for the knocks in life.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #39
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Last edited by Dion; 05-22-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #40
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a nihilist, but this quote is powerful in its simplicity:

"It's chaos, be kind." - Michelle McNamara

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote