Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Icon20 Parking Tickets - Indigo / West Park / InPark

Good morning everyone!!! I've been away for work for a few months and have lent my gf my truck in my absence and to my surprise received quite a heft shock or mail full of PARKING TICKETS!!!! I've read countless articles and FB posts on how you don't have to pay InPark tickets BUT if you don't and they go to ticket you again in one of their lots they can tow you. So here is what i want to no

1. If you don't pay InPark what are the consequences? (these ones were just a lot not associated with a apartment building)

TOTAL = $170.00

2. If you don't pay Indigo/WestPark what are the consequences? (these ones were in my gf apartment building in O'Neil Tower)

TOTAL = $990.00

My biggest concern is credit and not being able to renew my registration

Thnx!!!
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You don't need to pay. The only thing they can do is have their internal "collections agency" call you. If they want, they can take you to court, but there was ruling that limited their recovery to actual parking costs and not their fines.

Private parking tickets don't hit your registration and they can't affect your credit rating as the bureaus don't take reports from parking companies. When you renew your registration, just ask for a new plate, its like $20 and wipes the slate clean with these companies.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can't do anything to your credit or registration.

They can call the city to issue you a trespass then have you towed. They can't just tow you.

If you really want to not pay them just don't park in their lots and then change your license plate when you renew.

But really you should have your GF pay and let her learn a lesson.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does one casually rack up $1k in parking tickets without being at least aware of it. I'd pay them all so that you don't get towed randomly or have collections calling all day everyday. I'd also get a less careless girlfriend who won't saddle me with a grand worth of negligence.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
How does one casually rack up $1k in parking tickets without being at least aware of it. I'd pay them all so that you don't get towed randomly or have collections calling all day everyday. I'd also get a less careless girlfriend who won't saddle me with a grand worth of negligence.
Just block the number they call from, it's not like they can do anything aside from call.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if $990 is enough to go to court for. Also, I guess they're not too interested in towing anyone since they gave you that many tickets.

Last night on the news there was a lawyer echoing what the common sentiment is...they can't do much except threaten you with a collection agency. It's not economical to pursue a judgment for relatively small amounts owed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I wonder if $990 is enough to go to court for. Also, I guess they're not too interested in towing anyone since they gave you that many tickets.

Last night on the news there was a lawyer echoing what the common sentiment is...they can't do much except threaten you with a collection agency. It's not economical to pursue a judgment for relatively small amounts owed.
It was also ruled their extra penalty tickets aren't valid AFAIK.

So $1000 in tickets is likely 10-15 tickets, which amounts to $10-$20/infraction I imagine. Its a lot of effort to go to court for a couple hundred bucks.

I used to have a friend who worked for Impark and he mentioned they are just happy if people pay anything. Problem parkers without paying can get towed though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My mail goes to my parents place since I am only in town every 2 months or so ... i didn't collect my mail the last time I was home so when I was home this last trip I had an extra heavy load of tickets hence causally racking up 1000$

She already paid me half for the tickets BUT I wanted to see what our options were if we have to pay or not ... already contacted indigo and bought a parking pass for the lot in her building now.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't pay. Ignore the calls.

When your registration is up for renewal, get a new license plate.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Don't pay. Ignore the calls.

When your registration is up for renewal, get a new license plate.
And a new girlfriend...what is her justification for not paying for a parking slip?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_hdk21 View Post
She already paid me half for the tickets BUT I wanted to see what our options were if we have to pay or not ... already contacted indigo and bought a parking pass for the lot in her building now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And a new girlfriend...what is her justification for not paying for a parking slip?
Sooooo . . . take the $500. Don't pay the tickets. Get rid of the current girlfriend. Don't get stuck with even more crazy girlfriend bills in the future.

Get new girlfriend. Profit!

/s
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My mail goes to my parents place since I am only in town every 2 months or so ... i didn't collect my mail the last time I was home so when I was home this last trip I had an extra heavy load of tickets hence causally racking up 1000$

They put a notice on the windshield every time. She knew they were piling up and didn't think/care to get a pass or pay. Just dumb, no offense.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They put a notice on the windshield every time. She knew they were piling up and didn't think/care to get a pass or pay. Just dumb, no offense.

what's done is done ... i am annoyed and can't understand the irresponsibility but not going to spend time getting upset about what has already happened and can't be changed .... life lesson for her and she is paying the bill.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canada_hdk21 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what's done is done ... i am annoyed and can't understand the irresponsibility but not going to spend time getting upset about what has already happened and can't be changed .... life lesson for her and she is paying the bill.
Thats the best way. Have her pay the $170 and just leave it at that. Lesson learned for her and as a couple. No hard feelings.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can't even legally call them tickets. They're just invoices for not paying for a service. Legally all you owe them is the cost of having parked their in the first place. Offer to pay that if you want, otherwise just ignore them and get a new license plate if you want to park their again.

Usually I say pay what you owe, but these companies are scum, screw them
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think you should pay what you owe instead of trying to weasel out of it. If your girlfriend hadn't been there stealing their real estate, somebody else would have been there paying the asking rate. I hate paying for parking as much as the next guy, but these lots own and maintain the space, and make it available for your use for a fee. If you don't like them, don't use them. I don't like how expensive chocolate bars are, but I don't try to justify stealing them.

Would love to know her rationale. It seems like a ####ty thing to do to the lots and to you. Hopefully she's a tomcat in bed because this is very unethical behaviour and should be a huge red flag. It's so underhanded, disrespectful, and just kind of dumb. I don't see how this kind of behaviour couldn't leak into other areas of her personality.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

as stated above she has already paid for half of the tickets and taking full responsibility .. dang Silver!!!

There was no rationale ... legit just didn't pay and she is owning her irresponsibility

Long story short she had an old key to get into her secure lot and was parking my truck there and over the last 2 months they were issuing tickets electronically and only 2 she found on the windshield ... we now pay for monthly parking
Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't pay those extortionate SOBs a damn thing.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Would love to know her rationale. It seems like a ####ty thing to do to the lots
"Because #### them" would be a good enough reason to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A slight tangent from this conversation. What happens in these lots with a rental car? I got a ticket a few years ago in Kelowna, and paid it because I thought the rental car agency would come after me.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote