Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Or was he benched for being the second best goalie down the stretch, when they had about the same number of games?
No, he was benched because the team was desperate to get Smith into form. Since the start of the season there is that theory how Flames can only be succesfull with Smith, because his puck playing ability will be a difference maker in the post season. He is definitely better at the moment, the only win we have in this series is because of him. The biggest difference is how badly MacKiller outplays Monahan, every single shift.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
No, he was benched because the team was desperate to get Smith into form. Since the start of the season there is that theory how Flames can only be succesfull with Smith, because his puck playing ability will be a difference maker in the post season. He is definitely better at the moment, the only win we have in this series is because of him. The biggest difference is how badly MacKiller outplays Monahan, every single shift.
Except he was never benched like you said. Down the stretch they played similar numbers of games and one of them had somewhat better numbers. It's really as simple as that.

And if you agree he's better at the moment, then he has to start.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Well that’s not the “benched for nothing” you claimed a moment ago.

Bottom line is Smith is performing and as such Ritter sits. Nothing unfair about that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
zunie75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well that’s not the “benched for nothing” you claimed a moment ago.

Bottom line is Smith is performing and as such Ritter sits. Nothing unfair about that.
But thats not really what the thread purpose is about. There is no denying that Smith is playing well. But if the team, the strategy the psychology all point to the Flames playing better as whole infront of Rittich, then wouldnt game 4 be the perfect time to try it out?

The worse situation we put our selves in, is to do the exact same thing for game 4 and lose. Because if Smith has a good game 4 but we still lose, it makes going to Rittich in an elimination game virtually impossible.

put Rittich in for game 4 and see if the team responds.
zunie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zunie75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't mind seeing Rittich in for game 4 and see how team responds.. If we win it might get the ball rolling. My gut tells me Smith probably wants to play game 4.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #26
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to go back to Smith in game 4, he has been the best Flames player no question. if you are looking for who gives you the best chance, I think you have to go back to Smith. Putting Rittich in now against a team that is walking 10 feet off the ground would be throwing him to the wolves.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #27
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Bruins split at home and then lost game 3. I bet they start Rask.

The Sharks split at home and then got crushed in game 3. I bet they start Jones.

The Pens and Bolts are both down 3-0 and will most likely start Murray and Vas.

I'm willing to be that Peters starts Smith because he's really shown no cracks in three games and is still the starter.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #28
zunie75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
The Bruins split at home and then lost game 3. I bet they start Rask.

The Sharks split at home and then got crushed in game 3. I bet they start Jones.

The Pens and Bolts are both down 3-0 and will most likely start Murray and Vas.

I'm willing to be that Peters starts Smith because he's really shown no cracks in three games and is still the starter.
While you are probably correct about who the Bruins, Bolts, Pens will start, the fact is those goalies have been the starters on their team this year and years past. Unless i'm wrong, there was never any doubt who gets the start on these teams heading into the postseason.

The flames are a split goalie team, and Rittich was our "Starting" goalie for some time. So i don't think its as cut and dry for the Flames as it is for other teams.

(San jose should not be starting Jones lol)
zunie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #29
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunie75 View Post
While you are probably correct about who the Bruins, Bolts, Pens will start, the fact is those goalies have been the starters on their team this year and years past. Unless i'm wrong, there was never any doubt who gets the start on these teams heading into the postseason.

The flames are a split goalie team, and Rittich was our "Starting" goalie for some time. So i don't think its as cut and dry for the Flames as it is for other teams.

(San jose should not be starting Jones lol)
Except the Flames aren't a split goalie team today. They were during the season, but during the final stretch it was very clear who was the 1A and so far Smith has done nothing to lose the net. Game 1 he was unreal. Game 2 he was also amazing. Game 3 he isn't to blame for the first three and after that the team was gambling so you can't really look at what they were doing as normal. So until we see so shades of 2017 Playoff Elliott, I don't see how BSD can even be considered. I'm not fighting for Smith, I just think that's how it is in that room.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #30
Otto29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How is this even a discussion? Smith has played great and has earned the right to play. R

The Flames will ride this horse for all of the playoffs.

I have always been a big Smith fan even during his stumbles during the season. Something many fans seem to forget is the leadership and respect factors in the locker room.
Otto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #31
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith should have been pulled after the 4th goal, regardless of whether he wanted to be or not. The game was done and it wasn't Smith's fault, but the players needed to be sent a message that they were letting their teammate down and need to play with some pride and responsibility. Also, putting Rittich in then would have given a view of what impact he can have right now for the team and given him that first taste of playoff hockey in case he is needed later on.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #32
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, Smith has to start game 4. I never really liked how they kept coming back to him when he was not playing well, but it looks like it payed off in the end, he was great in this series so far. Team is committed to Smith and this is why he will start game 4. Goaltending is not the problem, surprisingly.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
But thats not really what the thread purpose is about. There is no denying that Smith is playing well. But if the team, the strategy the psychology all point to the Flames playing better as whole infront of Rittich, then wouldnt game 4 be the perfect time to try it out?

The worse situation we put our selves in, is to do the exact same thing for game 4 and lose. Because if Smith has a good game 4 but we still lose, it makes going to Rittich in an elimination game virtually impossible.

I don’t care what the purpose of the thread is. I was replying to someone who seemed to think it was unfair to a Rittich that Smith got the start and will continue to start.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
then wouldnt game 4 be the perfect time to try it out?

.... this doesn’t answer the question of the thread. This sounds like 7 game series strategy. Stay focused.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe taking away the puck handling makes the dmen play more responsibly.

I've certainly seen more games with swagger from them with Rittich in net than the other way around. It shouldn't matter, but you never know.

Making the change in game 5 might be too late if things go sideways. I'd make any shake ups now.

That includes valimaki and Czarnik in, too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #36
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

The problem is that the whole team (Bennet and Neal excluded) played NG. If Rittich gets the group to play differently then I am 100% for it.

I might be on an island here but there were a few posts in Game 1 that made Smith look much better than the numbers suggest.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #37
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
The problem is that the whole team (Bennet and Neal excluded) played NG. If Rittich gets the group to play differently then I am 100% for it.

I might be on an island here but there were a few posts in Game 1 that made Smith look much better than the numbers suggest.
Like the 31 grade A slot chances or the 56 shots last night, in general?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #38
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Like the 31 grade A slot chances or the 56 shots last night, in general?
Exactly. The scoreline could have been much worse, not because Smith was underperforming.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #39
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1118022211296579584

To me it seems like Smith is a leader and a ultimate team player. I think he would understand if Peters gives Rittich a shot to see if the boys respond differently.
If Riittich comes in it might be Smith's final NHL game

Last edited by ricardodw; 04-17-2019 at 08:05 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #40
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just Rittich should start because Smith has already played 4 games in a row. Rittich is also good on the road, and his worst performance since March 12 was 90.6%.

Smith has obviously been good, but I think Rittich should start either tonight or the next game. Since Rittich is good on the road, I say start him tonight.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote