Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #1001
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't get how people can look at that and still think they're making the right choice not vaccinating their kid.

I wish we could inject each parent that choses to not vaccinate their kids with those diseases. That would make me smile
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #1002
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a big issue when dealing with "pro-disease" folks
Quote:
The Backfire Effect

The Misconception: When your beliefs are challenged with facts, you alter your opinions and incorporate the new information into your thinking.

The Truth: When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger.
Quote:
What should be evident from the studies on the backfire effect is you can never win an argument online. When you start to pull out facts and figures, hyperlinks and quotes, you are actually making the opponent feel as though they are even more sure of their position than before you started the debate. As they match your fervor, the same thing happens in your skull. The backfire effect pushes both of you deeper into your original beliefs.
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/...ckfire-effect/
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #1003
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #1004
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by Cheese; 02-11-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #1005
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't often agree with Sun Media, but I was listening to Alex Pearson this morning when I was getting ready because I find her dreamy, and she was talking about this measles thing and the anti-vaxers and she bought up some pretty valid thoughts.

she has a young kid that hasn't hit the age of getting vaccines yet. She's of the mind that if your kid isn't vaccinated agaisnt really easily spreadable diseases like the measles, you can't allow them into areas where peoples health is already compromised. You can't let them into emergency rooms and waiting rooms where people's immune systems are already possibly compromised.

Like the peanut situation, you can't let them into schools where students might not have been vaccinated due to situations beyond their control.

As a parent with a child that hasn't had its shots yet, she has to ask questions of parents when she's having a party and she's basically said that she won't invite anti-vaxers of their kids into her home period.

Idiots don't have the right to compromise other peoples health, its that simple. Its the FIFO theory of anything when it comes to situations like this. Fit in of f%%% off. Your beliefs as an anti-vaxers cannot compromise the health and safety of people around you. Its ok if you do something idiotic and hurt yourself, its not ok if your a bonehead and your actions can harm others.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #1006
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Nightly Show had Anthony Anderson last night and they brought up vaccination. He essentially sums up the bulk of the anti-vaxx crowd (though he is not really anti-vaxx but is for flu shots).

He doesn't think it makes sense to inject you with a virus to protect you from a that virus.

Essentially he doesn't understand what is pretty basic science. So therefore don't do it.

Also, Nightly show is not even close to being as good as Colbert or the Daily Show. They really needed to keep John Oliver around.

Last edited by ernie; 02-12-2015 at 01:02 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #1007
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The Nightly Show had Anthony Anderson last night and they brought up vaccination. He essentially sums up the bulk of the anti-vaxx crowd (though he is not really anti-vaxx but is for flu shots).

He doesn't think it makes sense to inject you with a virus to protect you from a that virus.

Essentially he doesn't understand what is pretty basic science. So therefore don't do it.

Also, Nightly show is not even close to being as good as Colbert or the Daily Show. They really needed to keep John Oliver around.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO is awesome, he can just keep on nailing that! Only weekly, but I find it helps the content from getting watered down.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #1008
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
CBCs The Current absolutely destroys an anti-vaxxer moron.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/mobile/...e-their-cases/
Wow, I just listened to this and when the mom started speaking I immediately thought of this.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #1009
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

one thing missing from that infographic on pro-diseaser's 'logic' is that they are dubious of medical professionals, until their kid gets sick with measles... then it's off to the ER they go demanding the best care those medical professionals can provide. I think that even comes up in 'The Current' interview.

Anyway, here's Sen. Elizabeth Warren asking the head of the CDC about the safety of vaccines. This is so simple, it's painful to even think there's a debate on it.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #1010
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
one thing missing from that infographic on pro-diseaser's 'logic' is that they are dubious of medical professionals, until their kid gets sick with measles... then it's off to the ER they go demanding the best care those medical professionals can provide.
Indeed. If you're going to waste time and societal resources stupidly fighting against known science and medical knowledge then why bother having a family doctor or going to the hospital at all? You obviously don't value them or their advice. Might as well just grab a letter opener and start the blood letting for your flu, constipation or concussion.

Hell, you might as well be stripped of any medical coverage for you or your children. You clearly don't want or will use it anyhow.

^ That's a bit of sarcasm but it would certainly speed up Darwin and solve the problem for society.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #1011
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Anyway, here's Sen. Elizabeth Warren asking the head of the CDC about the safety of vaccines. This is so simple, it's painful to even think there's a debate on it.
Is it possible to have a man-crush on a woman? Because if so, I have such a big one for Elizabeth Warren.

Last edited by rubecube; 02-13-2015 at 03:49 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #1012
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We should be able to ban kids who haven't been vaccinated from the classrooms just like the peanut thing though. Some one should start a petition.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #1013
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is it possible to have a man-crush on a woman? Because if so, I have a such a big one for Elizabeth Warren.
get in line! [irrelevant cool story bro]my spouse lived for a few years in Sen. Warren's Cambridge neighbourhood back when she was 'just' Harvard Law prof. Warren. We'd see Prof. Warren fairly routinely, including walking her dog. In addition to her incredible accomplishments and success, Sen. Warren is also a genuinely nice person. [/irrelevant cool story bro]

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #1014
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/homeop...nada-1.2960553

Ineffective homeopathic alternatives to vaccines should be taken off the market because they are a dangerous distraction, public health officials urge as infectious diseases such as measles make a comeback.

Some naturopaths, homeopaths and chiropractors sell homeopathic nosodes described as a diluted remedy of bacteria or virus. They are most often given orally, but can be injected as well.

Health Canada says the packages need to be labelled with a warning: "This product is not intended to be an alternative to vaccination."
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #1015
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I want to make sure I get this right before I go punch someone in the junk.

Theres a chicken pox vaccine. Chicken pox as a child can lead to Shingles as an adult or if the adult never had chicken pox as a child it goes right to Shingles. Shingles is very painful and has some other consequences one of which is it can lead to blindness in older adults.

The reason I ask is a friend of my parents is now blind in one eye as a result of shingles. Turns out his daughter in law didnt get her two kids vaccinated for chicken pox...but instead made sure they got the chicken pox by taking them over to play with kids she knew had the chicken pox. And then sent the kids to stay with the grandparents while they, the son and daughter in law, went away on a vacation. And then Grandpa gets the shingles...

I just...ugh...why are people so stupid!
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #1016
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Theres a chicken pox vaccine. Chicken pox as a child can lead to Shingles as an adult or if the adult never had chicken pox as a child it goes right to Shingles. Shingles is very painful and has some other consequences one of which is it can lead to blindness in older adults.
Not exactly - you can't have shingles unless you also have chicken pox. You never clear chicken pox (varicella); it goes dormant in peripheral neurons, which is why shingles outbreaks are along one nerve and are extremely painful.

Not advocating junk punching someone!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #1017
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
So I want to make sure I get this right before I go punch someone in the junk.

The reason I ask is a friend of my parents is now blind in one eye as a result of shingles. Turns out his daughter in law didnt get her two kids vaccinated for chicken pox...but instead made sure they got the chicken pox by taking them over to play with kids she knew had the chicken pox. And then sent the kids to stay with the grandparents while they, the son and daughter in law, went away on a vacation. And then Grandpa gets the shingles...

I just...ugh...why are people so stupid!
I don't believe the grandpa got the singles from the grandkids.

First, I could be wrong, but I didn't believe the initial exposure to can cause singles in the elderly. It would just likely be a severe form of chicken pox.

Secondly, the chance of the grandpa never having come into contact with the virus before is low.

The likely cause of his shingles is reactivation of the zoster virus that was living in his nerve roots (dorsal ganglia). It has likely nothing to do with the children.

However, when these children go blind they can be angry at their parents
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #1018
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not an expert on Shingles but I would also think that it isn't necessary to actually come down with chicken pox at a younger age but simply be exposed to the virus. I've never had chicken pox (at least visibly or that I know) but as a kid was exposed to it through my friends and I even babysat my niece and nephew for several days when they had it and I was about 30.

That said, there is a shingles vaccine now for those over 50.

edit: digging around it seems there is a further elderly disease/condition being linked to the virus (very preliminary research). Inflamation of blood vessels which can sometimes be fatal.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chickenp...on-in-seniors/

Last edited by ernie; 02-19-2015 at 12:37 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #1019
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

MPP takes stand on vaccines, refuses to sign constituent’s exemption letter for daughter’s MMR immunization.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02...-immunization/

Good for her!
RubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #1020
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
MPP takes stand on vaccines, refuses to sign constituent’s exemption letter for daughter’s MMR immunization.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02...-immunization/

Good for her!
Pro diseaser:

Quote:
“The fact that Gélinas trampled my basic human rights and denied me of a service that she provides,” he wrote in an email. “We own our bodies and are responsible for our children and under Ontario’s Health Care Consent Act, we have the right to informed consent, which means the right to refuse any medical treatment if we feel the risks of the treatment are unacceptable.”
Ignores the fact that if you present a health risk to the community your personal rights become very secondary if not non-existent.

At least some folks have the good sense to try and keep the rest of us safe. If anyone is signing off on these exemptions at this point I hope they get sued.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote