Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Dishwasher Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a new dishwasher. Old one is on its last legs, I've repaired it for the last time. Looking for stainless steel. I have no idea what a reasonable price is for a quality dishwasher so just fire some suggestions to me. Family of 5, two loads a day, quiet operation and performance are the two main criteria.
I searched for a thread on this subject and couldn't find one ... sorry if this is a redundant thread.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Dentoman; 01-08-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Years ago we had a Miele. That thing was amazing. Never a problem. It's worth the price tag.
The house we are in now came with a Samsung dishwasher. Nothing but problems. As a rule, stay away from Samsung appliances. Repairmen will tell you the same.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've had a Miele for 5 years now and it is easily the best one I've ever owned. Quiet operation and pretty much flawless cleaning. Zero maintenance or repairs required in the last 5 years. I think once every year or two we've run a bottle of that dish washer cleaning stuff through it, but it probably didn't even need that. I do have a water softner/filtration system, so hard water build up isn't an issue, but even if you don't have that, I think you would just have to run the hard water cleaning stuff though it more often.

Miele's 3rd rack for cutlery is amazing, and I don't know why more companies don't use it (assuming they don't, I haven't had any need to shop for a dishwasher in the last 5 years, so maybe other companies have stolen this great idea).

Obviously there is one downside to Miele, and that is that it costs far more than a lot of other brands, but it is completely worth it in my opinion.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Two loads a day? You’re going to need a quality machine. I second Miele. Bosch is also supposed to be good.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't get a Frigidaire dishwasher. I'm having problems with mine (it's 3 years old).
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

insert obvious joke about womanfolk.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a 10+ year old Miele on kijiji and it has been a dream. I still think about how great it is when unloading the dishes almost every time.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Miele's 3rd rack for cutlery is amazing, and I don't know why more companies don't use it (assuming they don't, I haven't had any need to shop for a dishwasher in the last 5 years, so maybe other companies have stolen this great idea).
My KitchenAid has one so there are others using it. That 3rd rack is a game changer, I don't think I could ever go back to one without it.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We went with Whirlpool Gold when we had our house built, and have not been disappointed. I found some of the other brands had the dishes too close together; which makes loading things like bowls harder. My wife laughed when I brought a few of our dishes with us while dishwasher shopping; until of course we found that some of the dishwashers didn't really fit the dishes well.

Very quiet as well. I was having a discussion with my mom about how we liked how quiet ours was, and she was saying how quiet hers was. She then heard a gurgling noise in the sink and ask what that was, I told her it was the dishwasher draining. She then conceded that my dishwasher was a lot quieter; as she didn't even know it was running.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Don't get a Frigidaire dishwasher. I'm having problems with mine (it's 3 years old).
That is my present one ... I have no big complaints about its performance but the frequency of problems has finally got to me.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
We went with Whirlpool Gold when we had our house built, and have not been disappointed. I found some of the other brands had the dishes too close together; which makes loading things like bowls harder. My wife laughed when I brought a few of our dishes with us while dishwasher shopping; until of course we found that some of the dishwashers didn't really fit the dishes well.
So now you're stuck with those dishes.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a Samsung, terrible thing that I dumped after the third breakdown (the first two were under warranty)

Now have a Bosch, never a problem, cleans well
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miele every time.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think dishwashers are a disposable commodity.

I go with a low end kenmore and cycle through them every 5-7 years at $400 a pop. I added my own insulation to the cabinet to reduce noise.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think dishwashers are a disposable commodity.

I go with a low end kenmore and cycle through them every 5-7 years at $400 a pop. I added my own insulation to the cabinet to reduce noise.
That has not been my experience at all with Mieles. My first Miele lasted 17 years.

My second is still running and was bought in 2006.

And the one I have in the house I presently live at is almost 9 years old.

They work like a damn, never need repairs, and get dishes clean every time...and without a lot of rinsing and pre-scrubbing.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Kitchenaid has been great. For sound reduction make sure the tub is metal and not plastic although I would think anything other than an entry level washer would be this way anyhow. For a family of five and two loads a day it sounds like it would be mostly dishes, cutlery, and glasses so check the rack capacity and layout for those types of items. It's amazing what a variety of layouts there are and they make a big difference in the types of dishes you can load (and how many). We opted not to get the separate cutlery tray as it didn't seem to suit our use pattern but everyone is different.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
So now you're stuck with those dishes.
That's really more of a problem for my butler's assistant.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #18
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Looks like a Miele it is.

Would you recommend having a Miele installer install it or is it something you think you could do yourself? If it is a matter of disconnecting the old dishwasher and then just reconnecting the Miele, no problem. Anything beyond that (new drain hose, changing of fitting type) would be beyond my skill/comfort level.
A quick online search shows some of those things might be required. Also, if a Miele tech installs it, you get two extra years of warranty.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Looks like a Miele it is.

Would you recommend having a Miele installer install it or is it something you think you could do yourself? If it is a matter of disconnecting the old dishwasher and then just reconnecting the Miele, no problem. Anything beyond that (new drain hose, changing of fitting type) would be beyond my skill/comfort level.
A quick online search shows some of those things might be required. Also, if a Miele tech installs it, you get two extra years of warranty.
I think installation was included in the price when we bought, although I don’t remember for sure (it was a new build and there were a million different invoices for the house and they all blur together). If they’ll give you extra warranty if they installing it, that seems like a good deal even if you can do it yourself.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a Bosch and it was excellent. I hear there are some cheaper ones, but the one I had was made in Germany and it was really great. Now I have a Miele and it’s also excellent (moved, in case you’re wondering why the switch).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote