Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #3001
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Just as I was about to cancel to give Crave a go.
Quite a risk. Talent for days, but it sounds like Carrell is getting $1million/episode and there isn't a script yet. Regardless, I'm in.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #3002
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes was released yesterday and is a pretty solid 4 part documentary. Disturbing stuff.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #3003
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Has anyone watched Hardy Bucks? It was added recently and it looks like an Irish version of the Trailer Park Boys.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #3004
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abducted In Plain Sight....wtf.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #3005
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
What's On Netflix as a spot for it. Don't know if it's the best but it's complete.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/lib...es-on-netflix/
I'm very confused by this site. I've had this recommended a couple times and both times the link provided shows no titles under "list of 4k shows available on Netflix". Does it come that way for everyone else?

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/lib...es-on-netflix/
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #3006
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes was released yesterday and is a pretty solid 4 part documentary. Disturbing stuff.
Just finished it. It's just do bizarre how he assumes he wouldn't get convicted.

I also didn't realize how much of Dennis Reynolds' dark side was based on Bundy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #3007
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Just finished it. It's just do bizarre how he assumes he wouldn't get convicted.

I also didn't realize how much of Dennis Reynolds' dark side was based on Bundy.

Was this a documentary or was it more like “Mindhunter”?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #3008
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was this a documentary or was it more like “Mindhunter”?
straight documentary
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #3009
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Mindhunter, S2 is back in June apparently.

The Bundy Tapes is a really solid little doc series. Good use of interviews overlapping stock footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #3010
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I caught the first episode and wasn't immediately drawn in to it. I had read a few of the Bundy related biographies and knew some of the backstory already. Maybe the first episode is meant as an intro, which is fine if it improves in the next episode. My main complaint thought is how this documentary is cut together. It was like a really long slide show, where a lot of it wasn't really necessary. This actually might have been better done as a dramatization like "Manhunter: Unabomber".
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #3011
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree on the new Bundy series. Well done and I liked how they went back and forth between the crimes and the interview. Its so unsettling how charming and in control he seems.

On a different note, I got into Peaky Blinders a couple weeks ago. What a great show that is too!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #3012
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Speaking of Mindhunter, S2 is back in June apparently.
Talk about gear grinder (admittedly a first world one). What happened to the good 'ol days when tv shows had a few months between seasons?? I understand it is different with a single day release of all episodes, but 20 months between seasons?? And this is increasingly common with standard once per week shows anyway.

First show I recall doing this was BattleStar Galactica with the last season, but maybe some other show started this madness. You'd think these shows risk losing a big chunk their audience with such a long wait.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-28-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #3013
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Talk about gear grinder (admittedly a first world one). What happened to the good 'ol days when tv shows had a few months between seasons?? I understand it is different with a single day release of all episodes, but 20 months between seasons?? And this is increasingly common with standard once per week shows anyway.

First show I recall doing this was BattleStar Galactica with the last season, but maybe some other show started this madness. You'd think these shows risk losing a big chunk their audience with such a long wait.

I thought the delays with BSG were due to the writers strike happening at the worst time for them.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #3014
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I thought the delays with BSG were due to the writers strike happening at the worst time for them.
Good point, that would have been around that time I believe.

Anyway, I get the logic for these 1 year+ waits is higher production standards, tougher schedules to accommodate with the more high profile actors... Still, sucks having to wait so long between seasons. The Mindhunter wait struck a nerve with me as I think it has the potential to be the best original series Netflix has put out.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #3015
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This starts tomorrow. It's kinda like Groundhog Day in reverse. I like Natasha Lyonne and it's getting good reviews so I'm looking forward to watching it.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 PM   #3016
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This starts tomorrow. It's kinda like Groundhog Day in reverse. I like Natasha Lyonne and it's getting good reviews so I'm looking forward to watching it.

I’ll watch that just for the Crimson and Clover theme.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #3017
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

​There are parallels to be drawn between the growing influence and availability of Netflix programming around the world and the colonialism of the British and French empires, CBC president Catherine Tait said Thursday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...logy-1.5000657

she warned, a foreign company taking up an increasingly larger role in a country's cultural industry comes with a price.
"Fast forward to what happens after imperialism and the damage that can do to local communities," Tait said. "So all I would say is, let us be mindful of how it is we as Canadians respond to global companies coming into our country."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #3018
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
​There are parallels to be drawn between the growing influence and availability of Netflix programming around the world and the colonialism of the British and French empires, CBC president Catherine Tait said Thursday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...logy-1.5000657

she warned, a foreign company taking up an increasingly larger role in a country's cultural industry comes with a price.
"Fast forward to what happens after imperialism and the damage that can do to local communities," Tait said. "So all I would say is, let us be mindful of how it is we as Canadians respond to global companies coming into our country."
That was a terrible article. And is rich coming from a company thats only in business on the back of taxpayers.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #3019
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I wouldn't say the article is terrible because there are some truths to cultural influence through external media, but Weitz is right that the source is definitely influenced by their own funding. I love the CBC and a lot of what it's brought to Canadian culture but it would have been gone a long time ago if it wasn't propped up by public money.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #3020
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

All three Back to the Future movies are back. And the last 4 HP movies. And Traffic. What an excellent movie. So many good performances. Michael Douglas, Benicia Del Toro, Don Cheadle, Topher Grace (yes, the real venom).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: