Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #441
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Convinced a neighbour to buy one and tried their attempt at sous vide creme brûlée, and it was pretty killer.

As for the turkey question from a page back, I've just used freezer bags. You need a bunch, but they're sufficient.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #442
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can now report back that the turkey was a great success. The white and dark meat were both tender and juicy and the drippings from the dark meat bags made for some really tasty gravy.

Several guests reported it as the best turkey they had ever had.

We had 20 pounds of butchered turkey meat and everything fit in the large zip-loc bags. One bag for each breast and leg and one bag for both wings.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #443
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

We also tried deep fried egg yolks this weekend. They turned out really well but could use more flavour. All we used was egg yolk and panko with some salt and dill to finish.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #444
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Convinced a neighbour to buy one and tried their attempt at sous vide creme brûlée, and it was pretty killer.

As for the turkey question from a page back, I've just used freezer bags. You need a bunch, but they're sufficient.
Did creme brulee and creme caramel's for Thanksgiving.
Super smooth, and dead easy.
Used smaller mason jars and in the first batch, some floated and came out a bit runny, so I stuck them with the second batch and weighed them down. That layer of water over the top of the jars made a big difference.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #445
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I can now report back that the turkey was a great success. The white and dark meat were both tender and juicy and the drippings from the dark meat bags made for some really tasty gravy.

Several guests reported it as the best turkey they had ever had.

We had 20 pounds of butchered turkey meat and everything fit in the large zip-loc bags. One bag for each breast and leg and one bag for both wings.
What temp and times did you use?
I assume you did the dark and white at different temps?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #446
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

What the heck is sous vide? And why there's a 23 page thread on it?

I'm kinda intrigued after reading a bit...
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #447
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sous+Vide

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #448
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

its a method of cooking meat at barely safe temperatures for massively longer than wacking said meat on a BBQ or into a pan.
You do this so that the meat is more tender but if you want that lovely fried taste you have to pre fry it anyway, to be honest I have had Sous Vide food cooked in a resteraunt and it didn't strike me as worth the effort, tasted different, well the texture was different, not better just different.

Given it takes hours, requires a pricey bit of kit and if done wrong can make you very very sick I'm not sure its worth the candle.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #449
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #450
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
its a method of cooking meat at barely safe temperatures for massively longer than wacking said meat on a BBQ or into a pan.
You do this so that the meat is more tender but if you want that lovely fried taste you have to pre fry it anyway, to be honest I have had Sous Vide food cooked in a resteraunt and it didn't strike me as worth the effort, tasted different, well the texture was different, not better just different.

Given it takes hours, requires a pricey bit of kit and if done wrong can make you very very sick I'm not sure its worth the candle.
I think your food safety concerns are over blown.

I would argue that it is less risky than conventional cooking where you do not monitor it maternal temperatures. You don't cook at barely safe temperatures, you cook at temperatures which require longer time to kill the same amount of bacteria.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #451
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lot of misinformation there.
- Most people don't "pre fry", usually you finish in a hot pan after the meat is already cooked, only takes minutes because you aren't trying to cook the meat, just brown it.
- For many meats it's actually less effort, you season and bag the meat and then leave it to cook unattended for hours while you go about your business, it's also almost impossible to overcook.
- It doesn't cost that much for a basic setup.
- It's very safe, a lot safer IMO than people trying to time meat in the oven or using cheap meat thermometers to try and gauge when it is safe to eat.
- Comparing the restaurant experience is mostly irrelevant. Most (good) restaurants properly cook meat without overcooking it so comparing it to sous vide makes it almost all about texture. Home cooks tend to overcook meat just to be on the safe side so the difference in taste and moisture can be dramatic.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #452
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lot of misinformation there.
- Most people don't "pre fry", usually you finish in a hot pan after the meat is already cooked, only takes minutes because you aren't trying to cook the meat, just brown it.
- For many meats it's actually less effort, you season and bag the meat and then leave it to cook unattended for hours while you go about your business, it's also almost impossible to overcook.
- It doesn't cost that much for a basic setup.
- It's very safe, a lot safer IMO than people trying to time meat in the oven or using cheap meat thermometers to try and gauge when it is safe to eat.
- Comparing the restaurant experience is mostly irrelevant. Most (good) restaurants properly cook meat without overcooking it so comparing it to sous vide makes it almost all about texture. Home cooks tend to overcook meat just to be on the safe side so the difference in taste and moisture can be dramatic.
Save your money then, buy a decent instant read thermometer, cook your meat to the safe minimal temp and then let it relax for 5 minutes after you pull it out, it will taste as good as anything you can cook for 10 hours in a slow cooker
Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #453
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

TL;DR - IMO, sous vide is a fantastic low error method to prepare foods. I'd also go as far to say that something pulled out of a sous vide "cook" isn't complete. It's 90-95% at best. So perhaps "cook" in your definition is a misnomer.

I sorta thought this about the sous vide when I first acquired it. I was scared to have buyer's remorse. I wasn't a huge fan of the stuff that was coming out even when finishing it with certain methods. But when I changed my mindset to explain the sous vide to myself as a "hard to screw up food prep pre cook methodology", things made much more sense quickly and I appreciated the sous vide more. I rarely put more than basic stuff in sous vide cooks. I put the main spices on the meats when finishing. Better control of flavors.

I'm considering to a pressure cooker for speed cooks soon and continuing the sous vide for slow cooks. The sous vide is excellent for bringing the internals of a to "pretty damn close to restaurant quality" every time. The ability to scientifically get as close to Schroedinger's cat for cook/non cooked meats is fun as well. You might be right regarding those that test their luck in terms of cooked vs soft, but I'm guessing far more people get sick doing things incorrectly using normal cooking methods than those being stupid and pushing their luck on a sous vide cook. Just as many individuals overcook their food to completely ensure it's safe to eat and that ends up with nasty overcooked foods as well.

Is it "slower" than a bunch of other methodologies? Sure. But there is a far friendlier margin of error. Forgot the "cook" for an hour? The food is still fine. Induction vs gas? No issues there. Convection vs non-convection and big vs little oven with different hot and cold zones? for me, it's a tool that allows individuals to get really friggin close to a recipe every damn time.

Perhaps if considered a set of training wheels, it's easier to understand. Many who have used the sous vide enjoy the margin of error. If we do a cook for 45 mins and we get delayed and pull it out 15 minutes later, all is not lost. In fact, we probably won't notice much of a difference. This is especially useful for dinner parties where certain people are always late. Food won't be cold due to a late guest. Just leave the "cook" in water and delay the finishing to a more convenient time.

Regular cook in an oven or a pan? GG whatever it was that was cooking if you miss the timing by a few minutes or longer. Also, the ability to pre-freeze a cook in a freezer then pull it out and plop it into a "cook" while doing other stuff is fantastic. I can "prep" certain parts of my dish while I do other parts of the meal. Sure, if you cook one dish, a sous vide is pointless, but if you can cook with nearly zero error a piece of meat that merely requires finishing at the end while you prep sides, clean, dessert etc. IMO that's awesome.

Quote:
Save your money then, buy a decent instant read thermometer, cook your meat to the safe minimal temp and then let it relax for 5 minutes after you pull it out, it will taste as good as anything you can cook for 10 hours in a slow cooker
If all conditions are perfect, sure. But if a dinner guest is 30+ minutes late. That's flirting either with overcooked food or cold food that needs to be microwaved. As mentioned, a sous video "cook" requires finishing. Without finishing, it's no good IMO. You can delay the finishing and have zero issues with overcooked or cold food.

Or let's say you start a cook in the morning, go do activities and it goes over time. Again, no issues with the meat even though it's been "cooking" for longer than it was supposed to cook.

This is where the sous vide shines IMO. Bigger margins of error.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #454
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You're vastly overestimating the time it takes to cook steaks in Sous Vide. 1 to 2 hours is probably enough.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #455
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I went with 66 degrees for twelve hours and then dropped it to 55 and threw the white meat in for another 8 hours.

Finished the legs under the broiler and fried the breasts and wings in butter on the stove.
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #456
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
This is true for certain items, but untrue for others. Getting a chicken breast or a salmon filet evenly cooked is a pain in the ass on account of the varying thicknesses. You can pound a chicken breast but salmon is a bit trickier that way. Even if you do cook a hell of a chicken breast, you won't be able to hold the meat at 150 degrees long enough to kill the bacteria, so you'll have to cook to 165. After trying chicken at 150, you might as well go vegetarian than every having it at 165 again. It's an offence to the bird that has offered you so much.

You also won't be able to hold a roast at medium rare for 12 hours, so softening up a sirloin to the point it's tender like prime rib is nearly impossible.

There are times when it's better, times when it's worse, and times when it's pretty negligible. To say you can do everything in a pan as good as sous vide is incorrect though.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #457
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Dude the thread title is "Fine dining for dummies" not come in here and drop a pile of poop on things obviously enough people think is a great way to cook meals.

Maybe start a thread titled Sous Vide Cooking - Don't do it you're going to die and waste your money and see if people care
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #458
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude the whole point of a talkboard is to discuss differing opinions, if you don't like that concept don't read either my comments or the whole fracking site.

Maybe just avoid the internet in its entirety to be safe, its full of opinions
Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #459
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This is simplistic and wrong. The science behind sous vide is the reduction of moisture loss that results from traditional cooking methods. In addition, the second benieft is uniform cooking throughout the item you are cooking.

A roast or turkey for example is subject to significant moisture loss due to hours of roasting. In a sous vide the moisture loss is controlled. Higher temp equals higher moisture loss, so reducing temperature can reduce this moisture loss.

Take a roast for example, everyone knows they are not all uniform in shape. With traditional cooking the smaller end is well done and the larger end medium. It is not uniform. Sous vide ensures every bite is the exact same done-ness.

I cook pit BBQ and sous vide. Both have their pros/cons. Sous vide steak is hands down my favorite way to eat it due to the uniform results.
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #460
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Dude the whole point of a talkboard is to discuss differing opinions, if you don't like that concept don't read either my comments or the whole fracking site.

Maybe just avoid the internet in its entirety to be safe, its full of opinions
Then maybe read through the entire thread? This has been brought up 10 times and nobody cares. Let's stick to discussing what we have used our Sous Vide for and how delicious it turned out.

Speaking of which if you have a powered camping site this is a great way to prep for your day while you hit the mountains or lakes. I did some pork ribs only 8 hours though and finished them off on the bbq and it was great. I was impatient and didn't make my crust that well but the meat was great and I didn't have to worry about being around the campsite to check on them like I would have had to with a smoker.

I really want to try finishing off some ribs or steaks on an open fire pit but our fireban made that impossible
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote