Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think gets to meet Lucile first?
Glenn 66 47.14%
Rosita 0 0%
Daryl 10 7.14%
Michonne 2 1.43%
Abe 31 22.14%
Maggie 4 2.86%
Rick 2 1.43%
Sasha 2 1.43%
Aaron 7 5.00%
Carl 1 0.71%
Eugene 14 10.00%
Somebody else 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #1041
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah.. I just don't put TD on record to begin with.

Tbqh the Walking Dead is entertaining, but certainly not a good enough show to warrant it's own follow up talk session every week imo.

Comes off as quite pretentious, and I'm surprised people actually sit down frequently to watch Hardwick gawk and overreact to everything while getting peppered from the network with ample commercial breaks.

I like him in his other mediums, but Talking Dead and Talking Bad were too over-the-top with the amped up fanboy personality. I guess he is a bit like that in the Nerdist, but he has some other people to help modulate the tone.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #1042
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Disagree with that. Carol only does bad stuff if she absolutely has to to protect her friends. Negan DGAF about friends.

I don't know. I think she played the long game in some earlier seasons and was genuinely pissed off at Rick for his weak leadership, hated Morgan for a long time for his softness. I think she would respect Negan's swiftness to action and getting rid of threats. Rick has gone from decisiveness to being more like somebody who leads by concensus. Not that is bad, it's just not what I think Carol would find to be the best for the followers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #1043
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Can the Mods get rid of the poll?
Unfortunately no.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #1044
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't know. I think she played the long game in some earlier seasons and was genuinely pissed off at Rick for his weak leadership, hated Morgan for a long time for his softness. I think she would respect Negan's swiftness to action and getting rid of threats. Rick has gone from decisiveness to being more like somebody who leads by concensus. Not that is bad, it's just not what I think Carol would find to be the best for the followers.
That makes sense, but I don't think she would respect his brutality or needless torture to make a point.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #1045
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I hated that. You knew right away when she asked that he was going to lie to her, and what the hell for? For the sake of her feelings? Because it'd hurt her? You're willing to let people suffer and die for that? Then he goes back and gives a whole speech to Morgan about how the stakes are too high and he needs to wake up.

They're up against a dude who kills people for the sake of instilling fear in tributaries - which Daryl knows as well as anyone - and this is a scenario in which he's willing to compromise? What a slap in the face to Glenn, not to mention Maggie. Negan murdered him in front of his pregnant wife, and here's someone who can help avenge him and stop this from continuing. Who would want to do so if she knew. It's ridiculous that he wouldn't tell her.

To hell with her agency, by the way; "I'm going to withhold this information from you and make the decision for you". Yeah, super noble there. What a dick.
I found it a lot more layered than that. In the context of who Carol is and what Daryl has been through, it worked on a lot more levels for me. Firstly, you didn't know what Carol's reaction was going to be. It was also an acknowledgment of the peace Carol has found and giving her a few more moments of that. She was in an abusive relationship before the zombie apocalypse, and afterwards she always seems to be the one to make the hard choices, whether it's executing children or taking down Terminus.

When the time actually comes to fight Negan, obviously Carol will be involved. However, until that time, it doesn't make any sense to have her all charged up. Like others have said, she's a total wild card.

I just don't see what was to be gained from telling Carol right away.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #1046
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
If it wasn't that he killed a bunch of her acquaintances and took Daryl down Easy Street, Carol and Negan would probably get along famously. I think she could respect his leadership if it hasn't negatively affected her.

Quote:
I don't really see that at all. Carol seems to be the most opposed to abusive dictator types of any of the characters. Carol generally just refuses to follow any kind of leadership and is willing to take actions into her own hands. I don't see how she'd support someone who demands total obedience. Carol would probably go on a rampage the moment Negan told her she couldn't butter her toast a certain way.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #1047
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Unfortunately no.
Can the title be edited to "Who should have met Lucile first?" Then we can continue on with the poll.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #1048
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That makes sense, but I don't think she would respect his brutality or needless torture to make a point.
Well...she did torch a couple people in the prison to try to stop a potential sickness....

And in all fairness to her, she wasn't necessarily wrong in doing so because the sickness was bad lol.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #1049
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Melissa McBride continues to put on an acting clinic in every appearance. Even with the mediocre material to work with.

One of the (very) few that do so on TWD. Also her character is a badass and so deceptive and I'd hate to see her go. I also think her being a recluse is getting a little old now. She's sure shown up a lot for someone that isn't really in the game at all and has no visible intention of being so. And yet the tantalizing idea of her entering the fold is fun to have there on the side.

Would be entertaining for her to meet the new big bad, then subsequently make his skin crawl.
Wow. Carol is one of the more cringeworthy actors on the walking dead. The only ones more out of place is Carl and Michonne. I just want to hit the fast forward every time one of those characters have an extended scene...

I want to stop watching the show completely but Negan just keeps bringing me back for more!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #1050
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't really see that at all. Carol seems to be the most opposed to abusive dictator types of any of the characters. Carol generally just refuses to follow any kind of leadership and is willing to take actions into her own hands. I don't see how she'd support someone who demands total obedience. Carol would probably go on a rampage the moment Negan told her she couldn't butter her toast a certain way.
Thats a really good way of putting it.

Carol doesnt follow and she doesnt lead. She just does what has to be done.

Thats her damage really. She takes it upon herself to do what needs to be done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #1051
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Well...she did torch a couple people in the prison to try to stop a potential sickness....

And in all fairness to her, she wasn't necessarily wrong in doing so because the sickness was bad lol.
Carol also seems to be very much supportive of positive goals (even if the means of getting there involve drastic measures). I'm not sure how she would feel about Negan's goal of running an abused harem of women who exist only to please him.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #1052
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Wow. Carol is one of the more cringeworthy actors on the walking dead. The only ones more out of place is Carl and Michonne. I just want to hit the fast forward every time one of those characters have an extended scene...

I want to stop watching the show completely but Negan just keeps bringing me back for more!

Sorry...this show might not be for you. Might I suggest maybe.....Riverdale?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #1053
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Melissa McBride is an excellent actor. It's just that the character she is playing is incredibly frustrating to viewers and far more developed and layered than the show itself.

The same sort of thing happened with Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad. Everyone accused her of being terrible, but it was the character they hated (which they projected onto the person).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #1054
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Melissa McBride is an excellent actor. It's just that the character she is playing is incredibly frustrating to viewers and far more developed and layered than the show itself.

The same sort of thing happened with Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad. Everyone accused her of being terrible, but it was the character they hated (which they projected onto the person).
This.

She's operating on a level beyond the rest of the show, which is littered with one dimensional characters. The range she demonstrates between "nice fellow townswoman" Carol and "apocalypse" Carol is beyond anything the rest of the cast seems capable of, aside from Rick/Negan who are able to flip switches when scenes require it too. 5 minutes on screen and she manages to go from an emotionless Carol telling the kingdom to leave her alone, to shedding tears in her exchange with Daryl.

She may frustrate the fan boys that want to see everyone suit up and shoot/stab each other but she's doing the character justice and a big part of why I have managed to stay tuned in this long.

Yeah Anna Gunn was on par with Cranston through BB, lol part of why I and others despised her character. I think that's far better than being indifferent to the character.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #1055
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also think Carol character is one of the best on the show and that to fully understand her motivations you need to go back to the subservient and abused Carol of season 1.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #1056
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

speaking of Daryl, what was the long term impact of his time on Easy Street? he seems to be the same gruff squinty eyed dude that loves Carol and is loyal to Alexandria as before. maybe knowledge of the base comes in handy when they attack, but I thought there'd be changes to his character after having been "broken" in solitary confinement and/or zombie maintenance duty wearing that unexplained "A" shirt.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #1057
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised so many like Carol.

She is my least favorite character.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #1058
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carol rocks. Anyone who thinks otherwise, deserves to meet Lucille...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #1059
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Carol rocks. Anyone who thinks otherwise, deserves to meet Lucille look at the flowers...
fixed.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #1060
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Sorry...this show might not be for you. Might I suggest maybe.....Riverdale?
So you think they bring Emmy performances every week?

I was ok with Carol until her complete 180 in the bunker with Maggie. I mean she made Lizzie "look at the flowers" and now she was hyperventilating upset because some mean ass woman was yelling at her? Come on man!

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 02-21-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote