Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #1741
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Qyburn can be seen in previous episodes recruiting, teaching, and feeding them. Probably orphaned children that found a caring Maester, and he has turned them into child soldiers (so to speak).
I'm sure those kids were hard as @#$#@ to begin with. They're living on the streets of a pretty brutal society with no concept of human rights. I doubt that was the first time they've been put in a situation where they've had to stab someone.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #1742
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm sure those kids were hard as @#$#@ to begin with. They're living on the streets of a pretty brutal society with no concept of human rights. I doubt that was the first time they've been put in a situation where they've had to stab someone.
Good point.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #1743
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would Bran not be the defacto "True King" of the North? I am sure he can legitimatize Jon as I am sure he has no interest in being king and the 3 eyed Raven.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #1744
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had they known him to be alive, yes he would have been Robb's heir and should have ascended after the Red Wedding.

However, I think at this point whoever Lyanna Mormont wants to be king is who will be king.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #1745
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:
Icon34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I wonder if Sansa has the power to name Jon a Stark.
I think now that Jons a king, he has the power... Just a guess
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #1746
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bran is the legitimate heir, but as King In The North he can't walk the walk.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #1747
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Becoming King = death sentence. If Sansa was smart she'd make Baelish King just so he could die.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #1748
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Becoming King = death sentence. If Sansa was smart she'd make Baelish King just so he could die.
Baelish is savy enough, that if he every became king, you'd see his rivals meet unfortunate Joffrey style accidents pretty quickly.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #1749
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think there is some artistic license there for dramatic effect. Presumably if Lancel blows out the candle then the kid comes in and either suicide lights it or he lights a 10s fuse and runs away.
There were 3 candles that we could see
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #1750
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Baelish is savy enough, that if he every became king, you'd see his rivals meet unfortunate Joffrey style accidents pretty quickly.
It's true, he did use a fake serial killer to become governor of Maryland. Man knows what he's doing.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #1751
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm - probably not worth it

Last edited by Mike F; 06-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #1752
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that one kid who crippled Lancel had legendary ninja accuracy with his knife, managing to sever the dude's spine with a single stab in the dark. what was the whole idea with leading him down there anyways? what if the kid failed to take him down and he found the candles and just blew them out? or heck if he just blew a little bit harder as he was crawling towards them? then Cersei's whole gambit is toast. just like Robert's death by boar, she got extremely lucky it seems.
My guess is that it ensures the explosion kills Lancel. He was on his way to fetch the queen but was instead drawn below the Sept. I suppose the mountain could have ripped him in half when he got to the Queen. But the I suppose the real is, it's a TV show so it gives the audience reason to see the cause of the explosion with a dramatic reveal.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #1753
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Jamie would never accept that she knowingly killed their son. She can wipe her hands clean this way as she had to know Tommen would be distraught about losing his wife and the source of his new found faith. She certainly didn't seem like a grieving mother when viewing his corpse. Almost like she knew it was a necessary evil. Jamie certainly did not appear to be a happy man when he returned knowing what had transpired.
I don't agree. I believe she felt she was protecting Tommen. She was not only getting revenge for her walk of shame but she was also removing the people who where undermining her influence on her son (Tyrells, the high sparrow and the Kingshand Kevan Lannister). But when Tommen killed himself it removed any humanity from Cersei. She will essentially be the Mad Queen now.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #1754
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The show seems to be doing a lot of things that are nonsensical for dramatic effect.

For example, how many high sparrows were there if they were all killed in that room or enough of them killed to remove them as a threat. Supposedly the Lanisters/Tyrell's commanded an army of 10s of thousands. Why didn't Cersei just outlaw the Faith Militant early on and then massacre them? She was worried about public opinion? But it was somehow okay to take out a large city block with them?

She tried to confront the High Sparrow prior to Tommen joining him with a few hundred troops, but why were things allowed to get that far? If the King can outlaw trial by combat, a centuries long tradition, on a whim, surely he could have outlawed a militant religious fanatical group that was murdering civilians.

I haven't read the books, but apparently they are far more concerned about details and logistics. The show wants the cool imagery.
I don't think it is quite as far fetched as you make it out to be. Although, I certainly have no problem saying that the show could have provided more context for the faith militant taking over King's Landing and wielding so much power.

As for your books comment, yeah of course there is a lot more detail but I'll attempt an answer at the TV show without referencing them to explain anything.

Why didn't Cersei outlaw them early on?

Well she needed them at first, in fact it was her that helped them gain so much power. The Sparrow and his order had originally started as a backlash against all of the bad #### going on in King's Landing and Westeros. With wars and murder and rape and stuff becoming all too prevalent, people turned to religion to make themselves feel at peace (presumably this is what happened, there was some exposition on this in numerous episodes but very little actually shown to the viewer, just characters talking about it)

Their first act was to take the High Septon prisoner because he himself was a frequent sinner, they arrested him at Littlefinger's whorehouse IIRC.

She figured she could use their growing influence with the people to take out the Tyrells. Margaery and Loras specifically.

Well then why didn't she just have them killed afterwards?

Don't forget she legalized their militant arm, the Faith Militant. We can presume that they were popular with the people, given the crowds that came out to see them and the way the characters on the show described the High Sparrow's followers and popularity.

As per the recent conversations and clips posted of Tyrion and Varys talking about power, I think it is fair to say that if Cersei kills an immensely popular religious leader, she would have a tough time holding on to her power. It may have been the spark that causes the powder keg that was King's Landing to explode.

Yeah but she had a huge army...

Well even if we ignore the above reference to how power works, we can still assume that keeping the peace throughout the seven kingdoms is causing the Lannisters all sorts of problems. They have a siege going on at Riverrun, although the show does seem to indicate that they had a bunch of troops in Winterfell prior to Jaime leaving.

Bottom line is that the Faith of the Seven is a hugely influential organization in King's Landing, even prior to the high sparrow. We saw numerous times how much the population take their religious vows and rituals seriously. To have them all murdered in cold blood by her military force would look bad.

She murdered them all anyway...

Did she? How would anyone know that for sure? If I'm Cersei, I'm instantly running a smear campaign against the Tyrells or the Martells and accusing them of blowing up the Great Sept. With the dirty work being done by Qyburn's little birds, it should be kept pretty hush hush. She can just pretend it was a plot to destroy the entire kingdom, including her and her son. She can act like it was a surprise that she wasn't there and is lucky to not have been killed herself.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #1755
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don't think it is quite as far fetched as you make it out to be. Although, I certainly have no problem saying that the show could have provided more context for the faith militant taking over King's Landing and wielding so much power.

As for your books comment, yeah of course there is a lot more detail but I'll attempt an answer at the TV show without referencing them to explain anything.

Why didn't Cersei outlaw them early on?

Well she needed them at first, in fact it was her that helped them gain so much power. The Sparrow and his order had originally started as a backlash against all of the bad #### going on in King's Landing and Westeros. With wars and murder and rape and stuff becoming all too prevalent, people turned to religion to make themselves feel at peace (presumably this is what happened, there was some exposition on this in numerous episodes but very little actually shown to the viewer, just characters talking about it)

Their first act was to take the High Septon prisoner because he himself was a frequent sinner, they arrested him at Littlefinger's whorehouse IIRC.

She figured she could use their growing influence with the people to take out the Tyrells. Margaery and Loras specifically.

Well then why didn't she just have them killed afterwards?

Don't forget she legalized their militant arm, the Faith Militant. We can presume that they were popular with the people, given the crowds that came out to see them and the way the characters on the show described the High Sparrow's followers and popularity.

As per the recent conversations and clips posted of Tyrion and Varys talking about power, I think it is fair to say that if Cersei kills an immensely popular religious leader, she would have a tough time holding on to her power. It may have been the spark that causes the powder keg that was King's Landing to explode.

Yeah but she had a huge army...

Well even if we ignore the above reference to how power works, we can still assume that keeping the peace throughout the seven kingdoms is causing the Lannisters all sorts of problems. They have a siege going on at Riverrun, although the show does seem to indicate that they had a bunch of troops in Winterfell prior to Jaime leaving.

Bottom line is that the Faith of the Seven is a hugely influential organization in King's Landing, even prior to the high sparrow. We saw numerous times how much the population take their religious vows and rituals seriously. To have them all murdered in cold blood by her military force would look bad.

She murdered them all anyway...

Did she? How would anyone know that for sure? If I'm Cersei, I'm instantly running a smear campaign against the Tyrells or the Martells and accusing them of blowing up the Great Sept. With the dirty work being done by Qyburn's little birds, it should be kept pretty hush hush. She can just pretend it was a plot to destroy the entire kingdom, including her and her son. She can act like it was a surprise that she wasn't there and is lucky to not have been killed herself.
Why didn't she just give permission to the Tyrells to go after them directly then and then. They surely would have after both Margaery and Loras were taken prisoner.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1756
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why didn't she just give permission to the Tyrells to go after them directly then and then. They surely would have after both Margaery and Loras were taken prisoner.
She did.
The Tyrell and Lanister armies were ready to do just that when Tommen came out and made his big speach about uniting the crown and the faith.

She was going to get rid of them, but she was too late as now the King was firmly behind them.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #1757
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing is that they killed Maester Pyrell who I believe was one of the few who knew that Cersai knew about the wildfire. By killing him it allows Cersai to set the narrative on who blew up the Sept.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #1758
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
She did.
The Tyrell and Lanister armies were ready to do just that when Tommen came out and made his big speach about uniting the crown and the faith.

She was going to get rid of them, but she was too late as now the King was firmly behind them.
A lot of time passed between the initial arrests and when they finally decided to take action. Far too much time. I guess it's possible she waivered on what to do. At first Cersei may have decided it was too risky to take the faith militant out but then decided it was ultimately necessary to take the risk and do it.

I do like the point on blaming things on outside forces though. The play Arya observed was a great example about how the public had no idea what was really going on behind the scenes. The Lanisters were portrayed as loving and competent rulers, and everyone else as bumbling and evil.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #1759
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator clay davis View Post
it's true, he did use a fake serial killer to become governor of maryland. Man knows what he's doing.
spoilers!!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #1760
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am pretty sure they are all drug dependent, which would explain some of their trainspotting extra appearance.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote